LucasArts and TT Games Continue To Bleed A Franchise Dry

Discussion in 'User Submitted News' started by Hadrian, Feb 8, 2010.

1. Hadrian
    OP

Former Staff Hadrian Better than Craigslist

United Kingdom
    http://kotaku.com/5466702/the-saga-continu...lego-clone-wars

I lost interest in LEGO games when LEGO Batman was just "been there done that".

I'm no Star Wars fan, its ok I guess but Clone Wars just seems so mediocre to me. I guess the fans will be bait'n into socks.

2. Overlord Nadrian

Banned Overlord Nadrian Banned

Belgium
    Meh. Seems like LEGO Star Wars is becoming the new FF.

3. Ace Gunman

Former Staff Ace Gunman ~••Lucky҉Shot••~

Canada
    I was just discussing with someone how I've tried out the demos to these various LEGO games, and I don't care for'em. I don't really get the appeal. Now, that's not to say they're bad games, they just don't seem to be my sort of game. Which is a shame, because Batman, Indiana Jones, and Star Wars are some great franchises.

There seems to be two main culprits: 1) I enjoy self-referential humor as much as the next guy, but I also need a story. The LEGO game franchises seem to be based entirely around sight gags rather than a cohesive narrative (and I am aware that that is part of the point, but I still don't understand the appeal of that).

And 2) I also don't really understand what's fun about beating up LEGO men. They explode, you collect their LEGO money bits, and repeat. Then you walk over to a pile of LEGO, hold down a button and it builds something. Repeat. Perhaps I'm missing something, but to me that's about five minutes of gameplay.

4. GoldenTalesGeek

Newcomer GoldenTalesGeek Member

United States
    Here and I thought it was gonna be complaints against LucasArts making more "Monkey Island" games. That title can be a bit misleading to people like me who loved the old LucasArts point-and-clickers from way back when. Anyway, I love the LEGO games, and even though I haven't really seen "Clone Wars", I may give it a shot. I think the appeal of them is for those who like it when people decide to make fun of their favorite film franchises, but in a way that's not condescending to the intelligence of the player. Also, from my standpoint, it's also one of those games that satisfying to your inner child, kinda like the Kirby franchise and also The Legendary Starfy.

Also, I appreciate that you actually took the time to at least give the LEGO games a shot before deciding you didn't like them, Ace Gunman. Too many people nowadays complain about stuff, video games or otherwise, without ever taking some time to give it a try so their argument might actually have some merit. For that, I salute you. [​IMG]

5. Ace Gunman

Former Staff Ace Gunman ~••Lucky҉Shot••~

Canada
    Well, you know, I wouldn't say I actively dislike them. In concept I think they're pretty neat. But when it comes time to play them, I don't find much enjoyment. The interest I have in the franchise comes from the irreverent humor, which is a larger byproduct of the cutscenes than the game itself. Thinking about it, I think I'd much prefer these if they weren't games at all, but rather short LEGO film parodies.

6. ProtoKun7

Global Moderator ProtoKun7 GBAtemp Time Lord Regenerations: 3

United Kingdom
    I'd quite like that idea too, I've played LEGO Star Wars games and the cutscenes were really quite funny. Several short movies based on the games they make could be quite successful, wouldn't you think?

7. BlackDave

Member BlackDave Official GBATemp "Cleanup Guy"

United States
    Cutscenes weren't funny in Lego Starwars but I just liked it because my friend would take his rage on Chewbacca, which was me! Lol I had to run away from him whenever he screwed up xD

8. Theraima

Member Theraima I own this desert, bitches!

Finland
    The animated series with Anakin's padawan is good, wonder if the game is made about that? If it will, it cant be too bad..

9. Rayder

Former Staff Rayder Mostly lurking lately....

United States
    I played through the Lego Star wars released a while back....not the buggy one, the one that ran correctly...it was OK, certainly not terrible, but nothing all that special either. I just can't get into playing essentially the same game again, and again, and again. The Batman and Indy games were already just more of the same and I doubt this one will be much different. All that bust the object, collect the blocks crap gets old real quick for me.

I'll likely pass on playing this version unless they do something drastically different with the formula, which I doubt will happen.

10. GoldenTalesGeek

Newcomer GoldenTalesGeek Member

United States
    Ahh, okay. I see where your coming from that they should be film parodies, but I think it's also the fact that you're playing through a parody of your favorite movie is another reason for it's appeal. But I'm still glad you at least gave them a try instead of just complaining about them. Like I said, too many people do that. In fact, some of my friends once saw me playing The Legendary Starfy, and a few of my friends chastised me for it, saying "Why are playing that?! It's a kid's game!", as well as "It's too cutesy!". I simply said to them, "Have any of you actually taken the time to give it a try?!". None of them had. But once they had, some of the dissenters actually said "You know, this is actually kinda fun!".

11. Guild McCommunist

Member Guild McCommunist (not on boat)

United States
    Clone Wars simply proved that even a franchise as large as Star Wars has finally been sucked dry.

George Lucas has a habit of raping his beloved franchises, so I'm not surprised.

EDIT: However, Star Wars: The Clone Wars (a Gamecube/Xbox/PS2 video game not based on the stupid cartoon) is awesome. One of my favorite GC games of all time.

12. ProtoKun7

United Kingdom
    The "Clone Wars" microseries I never watched, but the new "The Clone Wars" series has grown on me and I quite like it.

13. XWolf

Member XWolf GBAtemp Advanced Fan

United Kingdom
    What I would really[/i] like to see is a Lego game as before but with the ability to make whatever I want from available blocks as opposed to just whatever is scripted when you hold the button down.

Give the player the ability to come up with own solutions.

14. ProtoKun7

United Kingdom
    As long as there was a lazy option too, I wouldn't want it to force the choice on us. [​IMG]

15. SPH73

Banned SPH73 Banned

United States
    I'm completely burned out on all the LEGO games. They're all exactly the same. They don't even seem like games any more, just busy work.

WHERE THE FARK IS MY FARKING BATTLEFRONT 3 GEORGE?!

16. Guild McCommunist

Member Guild McCommunist (not on boat)

United States
    True words, bro. Battlefront 3 or nada. Why they're putting so many projects above BFIII is beyond me. The Force Unleashed 2? This stupid LEGO game? No, people want to play Battlefront 3.

17. fice3717

Newcomer fice3717 Advanced Member

United States
    just thank good they haven't done anything like lego harry potter or anything like that [​IMG]

18. Rayder

Former Staff Rayder Mostly lurking lately....

United States
    To be honest. I'm surprised they haven't made a LEGO game where you have all the blocks you want and can build anything you want virtually. Whatever you create would be fully 3D so you could admire it in all its glory. Maybe have it where you could save and share your creations with others. That would be more interesting to me than these games they come up with.

Of course, that isn't Lego's way. They LOVE making you buy more, more, MORE just to have enough pieces to build what you want. And they charge through the nose for the pieces.