Hacking LU39 (LU64+?) and GameCube Backups

Toughschmidt

OP
Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
I've seen mixed answers to this question, so I'm starting a fresh one. I'm planing to mod an LU393... Wii unit, and as I understand it, they will not read and play Wii Disc Backups due to the new hardware. Yes, everyone seems to agree that they are still softmod capable and can run USB loaders for Wii.

Can anyone verify if they have one of these newer Wii's that cannot play Wii Backup Discs whether or not it can still play backup Gamecube discs?

Thanks

Dialexio

Trophies
Website
twitter.com
XP
Country
United States
No I have not; I have no access to a D3-2 drive.

All drives prior to D3-2 had a mode that could read movie DVDs, and consequently burned DVDs, at 3x speed. Softmods and flat/"plug and play" modchips took advantage of this to play backup games. Nintendo has removed this from the D3-2 drive, so the drive can only read authentic discs. (If you notice, the newer flat modchips that tout D3-2 compatibility will only load ISOs from a USB port or SD card slot.)

If you insist on burned games, you will need to purchase a Wii DVD drive (it's rather easy to find D2B and D2C drives).

WiiPower

Trophies
XP
Country
Gambia, The
There's no need to test GC discs seperately. Well, it could be that wii backups work, but not GC discs, because of the BC version.

If your drive does not read DVD-Rs, it means, it does not read DVD-Rs. No wii backups, no gc backups, no CDs anyways and no video dvds. Well, not sure about retail video dvds. But that would be the only exception to retail wii and gc discs only.

Toughschmidt

OP
Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
Thanks for the info. I asked because I never saw it tested to see if it does not read DVD-R's in general. All I ever saw was that it doesn't read Wii Backups--that maybe there was some error checking to distinguish the backup from the authentic in the Wii front that maybe did not apply to the Gamecube formats.

cearp

瓜老外
Developer
Trophies
XP
Country
Tuvalu
it doesn't work, i tried it anyway, and it doesn't work
smile.gif

Site & Scene News

Popular threads in this forum

General chit-chat