Gaming LoZ Majora's Mask - What is the "New 3DS-only" feature?

troa11

Older Than You
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
That is remarkably underwhelming. I was hoping it would be something that isn't so obvious. Even the difference in graphics on the N64 when using an expansion pack was a bit more exciting.

Oh well. Nintendo gonna hype.

You're misremembering just a bit, Majora's Mask required the expansion pack. Or are you talking about the difference between OoT and MM on the N64?

sarkwalvein

There's hope for a Xenosaga port.
Trophies
XP
Country
Germany
What the f**k is multithreaded?!

Short explanation (regarding why that is better for N3DS):
A multithreaded program executes commands in multiple threads in parallel.
These threads of commands can be executed by independent cores (or processors).
So, if you have multiple cores (like the N3DS), making a program that is multithreaded means the additional cores are used and you can achieve better performance (speed, framerate, whatever).

Long explanation:
Multithreaded code actually does not need multiple cores to execute. Parallel execution can be simulated by e.g. time-slicing, where one processor executes one thread for a given time, then the next thread, and so on.
Multithreading exists since long ago, and gave a sensation of parallel task execution since the old times where consumer computers had normally only one single core CPU.
In those days multithreading did not help to gain performance, but to improve usability of the computer.
Think of old MS Windows (3.xx, 95, 98) or well, all kind of old multitasking OS and PCs.
Anyway, today with multiple cores and multiple processors, it results on improved performance when used correctly.

Reactions: ShadowOne333

duffmmann

Trophies
XP
Country
United States
Some games will have minimal new features when played on a New 3DS as opposed to a standard 3DS (such as C stick giving free camera control in Majora's Mask or the ability to use the C stick to do smash moves in Super Smash) in addition to better battery life and better 3D tracking, some will only work on a new 3DS (Xenoblade), and some if I understand correctly will have more exciting features with a new 3DS than a standard 3DS. For example, I theorize that Super Smash for the 3DS will receive (as well as the Wii U) an exclusive DLC character of the Ice Climbers, as they were only removed due to the technical limitations of the standard 3DS.

Skull Kiddo

Definitely Not A Kid
Trophies
XP
Country
United Kingdom
As reported on some reddit posts it seems like MM3D wasn't optimized for your new New 3DS. I do not trust strangers on the internet 100% but there are some reporting this.

Ryccardo

Penguin accelerator
Trophies
XP
Country
Italy
I bought the new 3ds + majora's mask bundle. Will I be able to do a system transfer from one of my old 3dses and still keep the majora's mask from the bundle somehow?

It's all automatic if you transfer from a system with or without a NNID to one that doesn't have one, as licenses tied directly to the hardware convert to NNID ones at the first chance available.
(And of course the system transfer has to go through, mine failed hard)

Reactions: Elrinth

Site & Scene News

Popular threads in this forum

General chit-chat
Help Users
  • No one is chatting at the moment.
    Psionic Roshambo @ Psionic Roshambo: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=gYzI76fwaM0