I like cute stuff.
OP
Trophies
Website
sites.google.com
XP
Country
Hungary
I've noticed that avatars stored on-site appear in low resolution when viewed in threads. For some reason, instead of shrinking the original 192px images down to 140px, the site loads lower resolution versions and blows them up. Images loaded from Gravatar don't have this issue.

upload_2020-8-12_16-43-22.png upload_2020-8-12_16-43-27.png upload_2020-8-12_16-43-30.png
On-site avatars (left, centre) / Gravatar avatar (right).

shaunj66

GBAtemp Administrator
Administrator
Trophies
Website
www.gbatemp.net
XP
Country
United Kingdom
Avatars in threads are displayed at 140x140px which is the native resolution of the source image. This is shrunk down by Xenforo when a user initially uploads their avatar.

Some users that haven't updated their avatar since the launch of tempStyle 3 (when the change to 140px was made) may still have lower resolution images on the server and will need to reupload them for them to be shown in 140px resolution.

Reactions: smileyhead

smileyhead

I like cute stuff.
OP
Trophies
Website
sites.google.com
XP
Country
Hungary
Avatars in threads are displayed at 140x140px and so is the source image. This is shrunk down by Xenforo when a user uploads their avatar.

Some users that haven't updated their avatar since the launch of tempStyle 3 may still have lower resolution images on the server and will need to reupload them for them to be shown in 140px resolution.
What if the avatar is 192px, though? There seem to be tree sizes of the same image (S, M, L) and the one loaded in threads is the medium one.

Reactions: shaunj66

shaunj66

GBAtemp Administrator
Administrator
Trophies
Website
www.gbatemp.net
XP
Country
United Kingdom
What if the avatar is 192px, though? There seem to be tree sizes of the same image (S, M, L) and the one loaded in threads is the medium one.
For some reason Large images in Xenforo allow for animated GIFs to render which is not allowed on the temp so we choose not to down-res images that way.

Reactions: The Real Jdbye

The Real Jdbye

*is birb*
Trophies
XP
Country
Norway
Avatars in threads are displayed at 140x140px which is the native resolution of the source image. This is shrunk down by Xenforo when a user initially uploads their avatar.

Some users that haven't updated their avatar since the launch of tempStyle 3 (when the change to 140px was made) may still have lower resolution images on the server and will need to reupload them for them to be shown in 140px resolution.
Thanks for the heads up. I do remember the avatars in threads used to be smaller so I guess I need to reupload my avatar.
Edit: Won't let me click Okay on the avatar form. I seem to remember having trouble with that in the past too.

Last edited by The Real Jdbye,

Site & Scene News

Popular threads in this forum

General chit-chat
Help Users
    Xdqwerty @ Xdqwerty: good night