Low Level Brick when trying to downgrade system menu

Discussion in 'Wii - Hacking' started by wuher69, Jun 18, 2009.

1. wuher69
    OP

Newcomer wuher69 Member

United States
    I have a Wii that is over a year old, and had been updated to 4.0U through Punch Out. I wanted to downgrade it to 3.2U. I successfully used bannerbomb to install the Homebrew Channel, and then followed the steps found in this thread:

http://gbatemp.net/index.php?showtopic=146735

Since I already had HBC I just loaded the boot.dol through HBC. I was able to go through all the steps listed in that thread, and did not run into any error messages. When I went back to the menu that listed the different tools it said to press home to reset the Wii. I did, and the Wii seemed to freeze here. I waited several minutes, and then had to hold in the power on the console to turn it off. I turned it back on, and now I get nothing but a black screen. I am able to turn it on using a wiimote, but then the wiimote does not appear to connect after turning the system on

http://savemii.net/troubleshooting.html

I took apart a gamecube controller and did the savemefrii technique, but I still get nothing but a black screen. (I tried it on a working Wii first to make sure I was doing it correctly, then after 4 or 5 tries on the broken Wii still nothing but a black screen.) I have not tried the Wifi module, because I have never taken apart a video game console and don’t want to have to take apart two of them if it is not likely to help. I don’t really see how what I did could have broken the wifi module like the chart suggests may be broken. And unfortunately I do not have bootmii on the Wii, so I don’t think it is possible for me to follow through with the other steps if replacing the wifi module fails to fix it.

So what are my options here? Should I go ahead and test out the wifi module? Is there any way to fix things if I temporarily install a modchip? Should I just bite the bullet and try to send it in to Nintendo? I appreciate any help you could give me. There are a couple other people in that thread that ran into this same problem and I am sure they would appreciate the help as well. Thanks

2. Tichinde925

Member Tichinde925 Marth Ditto Money Match?

United States
    What is your Wii's Serial Number?

3. wuher69
    OP

Newcomer wuher69 Member

United States
    Odd, I must have edited that out, I know I put it in when first typing it. It is a LU31xxx

4. bdr9

Member bdr9 GBAtemp Advanced Fan

United States
    I'm afraid you have no choice unless you have one of the following:

An Infectus
    BootMii installed as boot2

5. techboy

Member techboy GBAtemp Advanced Maniac

United States
    Looks like Big N time...When you downgraded the system menu, you likely forgot to install the IOS30 v1040 that goes with it, or its install failed.

4.0 replaces IOS30 with a dummy IOS that cannot run anything, so downgrading the menu without the IOS leaves you with a menu that cannot run.

It could also be a bad menu installation. Either way, a wii bricked like this cannot be unbricked unless you had bootmii installed as boot2 and a NAND Backup.

EDIT: bdr9 beat me to the bootmii info. Also, an infectus won't do much good without your wii's Keys and a NAND Dump from before it bricked.

6. bdr9

United States
    That's true. I forgot that. What I do wonder is why everybody says you need BootMii with a NAND backup. Why can't you just go to the HBC and fix the brick?

7. UranusKiller

Member UranusKiller TranceMaster

United Kingdom
    because you can't get to HBC without a boot2 hack etc

8. bdr9

United States
    What I mean is that if you have BootMii installed (a "boot2 hack ect"), shouldn't you able to go to the HBC and restore it? Why do you need to restore your entire NAND?

9. UranusKiller

Member UranusKiller TranceMaster

United Kingdom
    well you could just reinstall something you've gone and uninstalled. but only idiots do such things.

10. wuher69
    OP

Newcomer wuher69 Member

United States
    The only IOS I did not install was 35, per the instructions listed in that thread. I did not get any error messages when installing the other IOS's, including 30

11. Aurora Wright

Member Aurora Wright GBAtemp Maniac

Italy
    I upgraded to the latest "stub" IOS30 from Nintendo's server, uninstalled cIOS and used PatchMii IOS Downgrader to install the minimal cIOS, IOS30 v1040, and System Menu 3.2. It worked without any issue. Are you sure to have pressed Plus and Minus to install IOS30, like it said on the screen? (with the other IOSes, except IOS60, you have to press A instead).

12. wuher69
    OP

Newcomer wuher69 Member

United States
    Yes, I remember having to press those buttons, and then it went through the same process it did for every other IOS and it installed