Love triangles. Your thoughts?

Discussion in 'General Off-Topic Chat' started by Blaze163, May 10, 2011.

May 10, 2011
  1. Blaze163
    OP

Member Blaze163 The White Phoenix's purifying flame.

United Kingdom
    Lali ho.

As those of you who follow my blogs will know, I've developed strong feelings for a companion of mine. She's dating somebody else right now but I don't see that as a problem this time as he happens to be a spunk flavoured lollipop. And she's thinking of dumping him anyway. But I got to thinking. The love triangle is a situation that pretty much everyone will have to face at one point or another. So what are your thoughts on the matter? Stories, thoughts, solutions, all welcome.

Personally my stance on the whole thing is that I won't go out of my way to break up an existing couple unless the guy is a complete wanker who doesn't even come close to deserving the girl. If there's love between the two then I'll step down, unless I literally cannot see a way of contuining my life without the girl in question or she'd be very noticably better off with me. I figure that it's not very loving of me to break people apart. Any relationship which begins that way is doomed from the very start.

Oddly enough I don't like seeing others trapped in these situations either. I try to act as an impartial advisor if I can, helping them find their true feelings. It's a moral dilema, whether or not to interfere. On the one hand I can't allow my friends to suffer, but on the other hand I don't want to lead them down the wrong path and lead them to greater heartbreak if I make a mistake in my advice.

So, what do you think?

2. Linkiboy

Member Linkiboy GBAtemp Testing Area

United States
    My personal experience:

-Friends gf hits on me
    -I don't stop her
    -We go out
    -Friend hates me

Funny enough, since I am a guy (yay gender discrimination?) everyone said "good job dude, she was super hot" or something along those lines and very few told me what I did was wrong.

I eventually justified it to myself "well if she didn't cheat on him with me, she would have cheated on him with someone else because she has cheated on every boyfriend she had so far." However it's not really something you justify, which you're kind of doing by saying you don't see a problem because he's a bad person or whatever.

Basically, if she breaks up with him on her own accord, only then should you go after her, is what I'm saying.

I'm also going to say something else: AVOID THESE TYPES OF SITUATIONS.

3. CarbonX13

Member CarbonX13 GBAtemp 台灣人

Taiwan
    If the girl is thinking of dumping said guy already, I wouldn't even bother barging in. Wait and see how it plays out. If things don't go as planned, just let it go and move on. Life obviously didn't lead you to a relationship with her, so go on and look for a better opportunity for yourself.

4. ShawnTRods

Member ShawnTRods GBAtemp Psycho!

United Kingdom
    I see.

Okay, I will speak only from my experience; not guessing anything or predicting anything.
    If a girl truly loves her first boyfriend, they MOSTLTY go back to their first boyfriend, unless there is a completely mad reason for her not to go back. Sometimes even the worst reasons arent good enough reason for the girl not to go back to her first love.

You say shes better off with you and you may be right. If you get involved with her more and get closer to her, she might be thinking the same way.
    Thinking about long term.. if you get too emotional and get serious about her, it might not turn out too good for you.

Love triangle.. I have been there myself and have seen plenty people in that situation. Like I said, if she loves that guy it can cause complications. If she ever loved the other guy, and the guy tries to get her back then the chances are high that its gonna cause complications.

5. rastsan

Member rastsan 8 baller, Death Wizard

Canada
    well all I could think was "threesome"...
    My several experiences with this happens to be along the lines of ask and ye might recieve. I asked I got exactly what I wanted.
    But then I am bisexual, don't mind group-sex (in fact I prefer it).
    If an interesting 3way might be something you wanna give a try. ask her... then him. If she is okay with the idea then later when you ask him, if he freaks out that will probably end it between them. If he doesn't freak out then good luck with the threesome.

ahhh... fond memories....

6. Hop2089

Member Hop2089 Cute>Hot

United States
    Never been in one, done a threesome before but none of the ladies were my girlfriend just casual sex.

Although I want to be in a yandere love triangle just to see what it's like.

7. TheDarkSeed

Member TheDarkSeed I'm a pretentious sack of shit

United States
    I think tampering with a relationship for personal gain is wrong.

Have you tried talking to her about it? And If she's going to break up with him anyways Why not wait until then and avoid an awkward moment(unless you like that sort of thing [​IMG] )??

8. Crystal the Glaceon

Member Crystal the Glaceon GBAtemp Inkling™ Squishies~

Antarctica
    Personally I disagree with it myself.
    I'm not one to share and have a serious jealous steak myself. I can't share the man I with.

9. SamAsh07

Member SamAsh07 GBAtemp Addict

Bahrain
    Never been in a Love Triangle situation either, the only girl I ever loved is now my fiancée, so I doubt I might have to face something like this, however, a friend I know, is in this situation and he says that it's not pretty at all, his GF will sometimes talk to him and sometimes to the other guy, so it's kinda like a see-saw relation, the girl doesn't even know what she wants. [​IMG]

10. Blaze163
    OP

Member Blaze163 The White Phoenix's purifying flame.

United Kingdom
    Given that she's on the other side of the planet, I couldn't interfere even if I wanted to. But given the circumstances their breakup is damn near inevitable at this point so I see little reason to sway her decision one way or the other. I'll be travelling over there at some point in the future, so our relationship may become something else when I get there, maybe not. If nothing else I'd settle just for seeing her again at the moment.

I was more curious about other people's approach to moments like this. I know how I'll deal with the problem. If she wants to take things further, then we do. If not then Fate clearly has other plans for the both of us. I try not to piss Fate off too much given that I barely survived last time we met.

11. cwstjdenobs

Member cwstjdenobs Sodomy non sapiens

United Kingdom
    You don't want to get involved. Hide-able casual sex maybe, but you won't end up with any real type of relationship if that's the direction you are trying. These things need to grow organically.

You don't want to with your GF, I never managed to feel comfortable enough to even enjoy myself. Not performance anxiety or owt like that, more trying not to show any favouritism, or too much attention to the other lass. Your also asking for accusations of infidelity afterwards. Alrighty then, I do do after the accusations but I'm a childish, childish man.

Did it for the GF's benefit anyhows, not at all my cup of tea.

12. Blood Fetish

Member Blood Fetish Quis custodiet ipsos custodes?

United States
    She is keeping both of you as backup plans. If she is done with her current relationship then she needs to be an adult and say it. The fact that she is this deceptive now is a pretty good indicator that she'll have no problem lying to you too.

13. rastsan

Member rastsan 8 baller, Death Wizard

Canada
    Only my current boyfriend has jealousy issues. Which he can shove up his own keister. Every other person I have been with has not had an issue with it. I don't have a problem with it.
    As to the treating one of the other people better than the other - don't. go in it trying to please them all equally. if you have any issues going in at all, don't. Oh and set some ground rules before hand. The best way is to have sex with each seperately beforehand and for them to have too. that way you all know what you like from the other and what you all don't like.

14. azoreseuropa

Member azoreseuropa GBAtemp Psycho!

Portugal
    If the gir/boy is thinking of dumping him or her then she or he is not mr/miss right anyway. Move on.

15. GeekyGuy

Global Moderator GeekyGuy Professional loafer

United States
    This sounds pretty right on to me. When you said "love triangle," I assumed you were gonna ask about a three-way relationship, which, though obviously a compelling proposition, especially when you're young and inexperienced, I just don't see that sort of thing ever ending well...but always ending.

But yeah, man. Sounds like you have a do-unto-others attitude, and I can't imagine a better philosophy to live by.

16. ShadowSoldier

Member ShadowSoldier GBAtemp Guru

Canada
    Love triangles are fucking stupid and nobody at all, should be a part of it. It makes life hell for so many people, and it's just stupid.

17. leeday100196

Member leeday100196 GBAtemp's Official Infernape™

Australia
    I agree with ShadowSoldier, nobody should be a part of a love triangle. I pity anyone who is.

18. darkreaperofdrea

Member darkreaperofdrea GBAtemp Advanced Fan

Mexico
    i am,you pity me?

19. ShadowSoldier

Member ShadowSoldier GBAtemp Guru

Canada

I do.

I was part of one or two, they suck. And yes, I do as well, pity anyone who is part of them.

20. darkreaperofdrea

Member darkreaperofdrea GBAtemp Advanced Fan

Mexico
    it does suck...but at the same time is very exciting,at least to me,it keeps me entertained knowing i could be or not