Hardware Love(d) or Hate(d) motion controls on Wii?

EmulateLife

OP
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
I used to like wii controls somewhat, but now I can't stand it really. I either try to get games that used them on other consoles if I can or if they're exclusive to Wii I use the Wii VC injector to inject gamepad support on the Wii U if I can, but it doesn't work for all games.

What is your opinion on motion controls on the Wii?

To me there are several games that should get remakes without motion controls.

Legend of Zelda Skyward Sword
Super Mario Galaxy
Super Mario Galaxy 2
Disaster Day of Crisis (never came to America, but should have)
Metroid Prime 3 (Where's the Metroid Prime Trilogy on Switch we keep hearing about?)
Disney's Epic Mickey
Fatal Frame IV (another game that never came to America but should have)
Punch-Out!!
Red Steel 2
The Conduit
Zack and Wiki Quest For Barbaros Treasure

OddFWGKTA

Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
Chile
Loved them at the time.

Granted most of my experience came from Wii Sports, which while fun, was flawed. I do remember Mario Kart being mostly fun with the motion controls, as well, but got fidgety with certain mini-games.

Find them moderately annoying today. Which is odd, considering technology has improved.

godreborn

Welcome to the Machine
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
I enjoy motion controls except for when you have to use the pointer. my room is pretty small. that's where I have my wii, so I'm constantly too close to the screen.

Reactions: EmulateLife

EmulateLife

OP
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
I kinda fee like it killed the lightgun genre as well, which I've always been a fan of. It's like after Wii nobody wanted to make anything that you point at a tv anymore. But to be fair, it probably also has to do with the fact that they've pretty much done what they can with the lightgun genre and the games were usually very short, and no one wants to buy an expensive lightgun.

Reactions: godreborn

godreborn

Welcome to the Machine
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
since I sit so close to the tv (close to the sensor bar), I sometimes have a hard time getting the pointer to appear on the screen. I have to sit all the way back in my chair, then sometimes pull my arm back to get it to work. motion controls in general -- no problem.

IncredulousP

GBAtemp's Resident Bastard
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
If they aren't forced and actually add functionality instead of being a gimmick, I love motion controls. I love the quick knife in RE4. I HATE the sword swinging in Twilight Princess.

EmulateLife

OP
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
I kinda feel like Metroid Prime 3 (or Trilogy really) was probably the best it got as far as wii controls IMO, but I still find myself wanting a remake so I can just use a controller.

godreborn

Welcome to the Machine
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
I think the motion controls in dkc returns kinda suck. there have been times where I haven't rolled or rolled into a pit by accident. I think someone made a code to map the motion controls to a button. I may have tried using it once. I'm playing that game right now actually and with the original mapping. I've gotten better at it, but it can sometimes be frustrating.

EmulateLife

OP
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
I think the motion controls in dkc returns kinda suck. there have been times where I haven't rolled or rolled into a pit by accident. I think someone made a code to map the motion controls to a button. I may have tried using it once. I'm playing that game right now actually and with the original mapping. I've gotten better at it, but it can sometimes be frustrating.

Yeah there's a patch for that game that you can use the classic controller on Wii, or gamepad on Wii U. I beat it on 3DS though, but it's sitting on my Wii U main screen as an inject with gamepad support.

Reactions: godreborn

godreborn

Welcome to the Machine
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
I think I'm at 1-K in the 3ds version. I did download a save from someone who was at the world 9 stages, which I wanted to try since they're not in the wii version. I didn't really feel like going through the whole 3ds game. I kinda suck at it. I'm pretty good on the wii version though. :D

ChibiMofo

Elon Musk is my dog
Trophies
XP
Country
Canada
Without the motion controls on the Wii, Nintendo probably wouldn't have survived as a hardware company. It is the motion controls and the motion control games, such as Wii Sports, that sold the addition 75 million consoles while gamers were busy with the X360 and PS3. I can understand why gamers never got the Wii motion controls. But the rest of us did. And the fact that there is nothing like the Wii out there right now is why wii aren't buying consoles anymore.

But I agree that it is unfortunate that so many gamer games for the Wii don't offer Wii Classic Controller functionality in addition to motion controls. The Wii just simply wasn't made with gamers in mind. And that saved the company, ironically enough.

Reactions: EmulateLife

EmulateLife

OP
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
Without the motion controls on the Wii, Nintendo probably wouldn't have survived as a hardware company. It is the motion controls and the motion control games, such as Wii Sports, that sold the addition 75 million consoles while gamers were busy with the X360 and PS3. I can understand why gamers never got the Wii motion controls. But the rest of us did. And the fact that there is nothing like the Wii out there right now is why wii aren't buying consoles anymore.

But I agree that it is unfortunate that so many gamer games for the Wii don't offer Wii Classic Controller functionality in addition to motion controls. The Wii just simply wasn't made with gamers in mind. And that saved the company, ironically enough.

I agree with you, the gamecube which had a traditional controller bombed. I don't blame Nintendo one bit for trying what they did and it was highly successful. I am only saying my opinion today (which is different than when the Wii was the newest console) is I am not a fan. But I also agree with what you said that they could have offered classic control options on any games. Options are never a bad thing.

Last edited by EmulateLife,
Reactions: Draxikor

Draxikor

Trophies
XP
Country
Mexico
Almost any wii games that use motion controls can be remade to a classic controller configuration, the only thing where the system works great is aiming (RE4, 007,CoDBO, Metroid Prime Trilogy) the Okami wii version is terrible with the motion controls, sadly the JAP version is the only one who allows the use of a classic controller.

Last edited by Draxikor,

EmulateLife

OP
Trophies
XP
Country
United States

CMDreamer

Trophies
XP
Country
Mexico
Well, when we compare the motion plus with the other console's copy-cats and "wannabes", the motion plus is marvel.

Games that rely on it, would had lost all their "essence" without it and would had become just a regular game.

EmulateLife

OP
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
Games that rely on it, would had lost all their "essence" without it and would had become just a regular game.

I respectfully disagree. It wouldn't take anything about from games like Mario Galaxy at all. Metroid Prime 3 wasn't that much different than 1 and 2, nothing would be lost if you could use a controller. To give a couple of examples.

tech3475

Trophies
XP
Country
Depends on the game.

For something like Wii Sports it was allot of fun but in something like Mario Galaxy it was annoying.

One thing I hate is when gimmicky controls are made the only option in games where it's otherwise unnecessary. Sonic Colours did a good job of allowing both motion and traditional controls.

I kinda fee like it killed the lightgun genre as well, which I've always been a fan of. It's like after Wii nobody wanted to make anything that you point at a tv anymore. But to be fair, it probably also has to do with the fact that they've pretty much done what they can with the lightgun genre and the games were usually very short, and no one wants to buy an expensive lightgun.

What I think killed the lightgun genre was the end of CRT TVs, the Wii may have actually extended the genres life as it meant the games could be created relatively cheaply with hardware allot of people already had.

EmulateLife

OP
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
Depends on the game.

For something like Wii Sports it was allot of fun but in something like Mario Galaxy it was annoying.

One thing I hate is when gimmicky controls are made the only option in games where it's otherwise unnecessary. Sonic Colours did a good job of allowing both motion and traditional controls.

What I think killed the lightgun genre was the end of CRT TVs, the Wii may have actually extended the genres life as it meant the games could be created relatively, cheaply with hardware allot of people already had.

PS3 also had lightgun games though, some that used Move some that used Guncon 3. You could argue that Move was a Wiimote ripoff though.

The Real Jdbye

*is birb*
Trophies
XP
Country
Norway
I used to like wii controls somewhat, but now I can't stand it really. I either try to get games that used them on other consoles if I can or if they're exclusive to Wii I use the Wii VC injector to inject gamepad support on the Wii U if I can, but it doesn't work for all games.

What is your opinion on motion controls on the Wii?

To me there are several games that should get remakes without motion controls.

Legend of Zelda Skyward Sword
Super Mario Galaxy
Super Mario Galaxy 2
Disaster Day of Crisis (never came to America, but should have)
Metroid Prime 3 (Where's the Metroid Prime Trilogy on Switch we keep hearing about?)
Disney's Epic Mickey
Fatal Frame IV (another game that never came to America but should have)
Punch-Out!!
Red Steel 2
The Conduit
Zack and Wiki Quest For Barbaros Treasure
I don't see how Skyward Sword would work without motion controls. It's so heavily ingrained in the battle mechanics, you couldn't remove them without completely changing how battles work and making the game easier.
People always mention wanting a remake of it without motion controls, without considering if that's even possible. It's a pretty safe bet that if Skyward Sword ever gets a remake it will keep the motion controls (but without the need for a sensor bar, obviously), and the Switch seems like the perfect platform for that.

Last edited by The Real Jdbye,

Site & Scene News

Popular threads in this forum

General chit-chat
Help Users
    I @ I-need-help-with-wup-wiiu: does WiiVC injector script work on aroma wiiu?