Lot of Save Corruptions...

Discussion in 'Acekard' started by jmckutchin, Jul 7, 2009.

Jul 7, 2009
  1. jmckutchin
    OP

Member jmckutchin GBAtemp Regular

United States
    Hi all,

I'm currently using the most current version of AKAIO, and whenever I put my SD card into my mac (to update the version, specifically), I end up with a lot of corrupted save files, which is.. well, not good. This last time I even backed up a copy of Black Sigil, which I'm currently playing, and even the back up'ed copy read 0kb and is bad as well. Does anyone know whats going on?

Edit: Also, I have an ADATA 4GB card, if that's important.

2. zero383

Member zero383 GBAtemp Advanced Fan

Canada
    Probably because it's a Mac. Try it on a PC if you can. Format your card with the Panasonic SD Formatter as well.

3. jmckutchin
    OP

United States
    Considered that, and it's already formatted with Panasonic SD. Can anyone confirm that it's the mac that's causing these problems?

4. zero383

Member zero383 GBAtemp Advanced Fan

Canada
    So you're saying as soon as you plug the SD card into your Mac, the files get corrupted? Or is it after you have written something onto the card? Do you have another card reader you can try?

5. jmckutchin
    OP

United States
    I believe it only happens when I download/overwrite a new firmware. I backed up the SD card, took the latest (I think I had 1.4.1 not proper) _aio folder and akmenu.nds and put it on the card, and when i booted the card the .sav was gone. I took the backup and reloaded it onto the SD (i.e. should be exactly as before I did the update). At this point I noticed that Black Sigil's .sav (the last game I played, if that matters), read 0KB. It's very annoying.

6. capn_crunch

Newcomer capn_crunch Newbie

United States
    I'm not sure if this is the culprit, but I do know that Mac's tend to put a ton of hidden files (spotlight, trash, .ds_store files) on any media you connect to it. I could have something to do with that. I'd suggest looking around for a way to disable that feature or use a PC.

7. Fatboy12345236

Member Fatboy12345236 GBAtemp Regular

Australia
    I suggest u check AceKard's website and also checking ur MicroSD's Manufactuers Website to see if its a common problem with Mac if it is theres proberly a fix...

8. Fatboy12345236

Member Fatboy12345236 GBAtemp Regular

Australia
    Yeah thats true my school has macs they do place plenty of hidden folders and file that r not needed like .Trashes and .Spotlight

9. Another World

Former Staff Another World Emulate the Planet!

Colombia
    dl an opensource virtual machine software and install windows on on the mac. =P

-another world

10. jmckutchin
    OP

United States
    I already have VMware Fusion, so I guess I'll be using that. I know of all the hidden files as well, and unfortunately there's no way around it as far as I know.

I switched to my Kingston 2GB Japanese SD card... it probably won't do any good, but it can't hurt. As for Black Sigil, unless I get a .sav from someone on these boards, it'll remain unfinished.

11. jmckutchin
    OP

United States
    I still want to err on the side of caution and not blame macs quite yet because it's not a constant problem and doesn't affect every save. In fact, I just tried it now and it worked fine. Does anyone know of any problems with ADATA?

12. tylerxian

Member tylerxian GBAtemp Regular

United States
    I have a ADATA 4 GB too, run on a PC, and format using the Panasonic SD formatter. I don't have any problems with the microSDHC card. Maybe it's a problem with the card itself and not the mac or the formatting method?

13. Rascal

Member Rascal GBAtemp Fan

United States
    To stop the Mac's hidden files on flash drives, there is a utility called BlueHarvest that works great. Also, make sure you are ejecting your flash drive in the OS before physically removing it as Mac OS X doesn't to quick/safe eject like windows.