Lost Wii download rights for a VC game

Discussion in 'Wii - Hacking' started by aoeder, Aug 24, 2011.

Aug 24, 2011
  1. aoeder
    OP

Newcomer aoeder Newbie

United States
    *If this is posted in the wrong section, a MOD can move it if you wish*

So, today I bought Donkey Kong Country from the Wii Shop Channel. After it took my 800 points, it spit out an error code after it cancelled my download.

The code was: 204036

The thing is, I experienced this error code before. It has to do with a ticket for the said game already being on my Wii prior to the initial download on the Wii Shop Channel. In the past, I just looked up the title ID and deleted its ticket via AnyTitle Deleter, and it usually worked. But not this time...

In fact, I couldn't even find the title ID of Donkey Kong Country (JAEE) in AnyTitle Deleter. I didn't want to go deleting other tickets (things could have turned out a lot worse). Instead I downloaded a WAD of the game (I do NOT support doing this; I only did it to try to get my copy of Donkey Kong Country from the Wii Shop to download), and opened up AnyTitle Deleter, and only then, did I see its title ID (JAEE) listed. So I deleted it completely so the Wii Shop Channel would let me download. BIG MISTAKE.

Apparently, the Wii was using this ticket (even though it wasn't even listed before?) because when I went into the Wii Shop Channel, I no longer had download rights to the game.

I've contacted Nintendo and asked them to give me re-download rights since the game still appears in my Account Activity. However, even with those download rights, I fear I will get the same error code.

Any ideas on how I can get this game to download?

2. RemixDeluxe

Member RemixDeluxe GBAtemp Psycho!

United States
    I'm sorry to ask a very obvious question but if your modding your Wii couldn't you get the game for free using certain methods? Getting it legit seems to be more trouble to you than its worth.

3. aoeder
    OP

Newcomer aoeder Newbie

United States
    At one point, I did use WAD's, but mostly because I was exploring everything the homebrew community had to offer. In fact, I only played the WAD file of Donkey Kong Country for a few minutes. I would much rather legimately pay for the games.

4. tueidj

Member tueidj I R Expert

If you try to buy it again you won't get charged, even if it says it is going to cost you points.

5. aoeder
    OP

Newcomer aoeder Newbie

United States
    Actually, I've already tried doing that. Normally, one of the buttons would say "Downloadable", but in this case it still shows the "800 Points" button as if I never even purchased it. And if I click the "800 Points" button it says I do not have enough Wii Points (I only have 200 left), so it definitely wants to charge me again.

6. JoostinOnline

Member JoostinOnline Certified Crash Test Dummy

United States
    But you already paid for it. You are just getting what you paid for.

I'm against piracy too, but what you are doing really isn't piracy.

7. aoeder
    OP

Newcomer aoeder Newbie

United States
    Yeah, but I should be able to download the game from the Wii Shop Channel. All I'm getting is an error. Morally speaking though, I paid for it, so using a WAD of the same game isn't really stealing anything.

8. tueidj

Member tueidj I R Expert

Let me clarify: it will try to charge you, but the points won't be deducted. You will at least require the minimum points as if you were repurchasing it but they won't be spent.

9. aoeder
    OP

Newcomer aoeder Newbie

United States
    Oh. You might be right. But I only have 200 points so I can't test this out.

10. aoeder
    OP

Newcomer aoeder Newbie

United States
    So has anyone else ever experienced this issue?

11. JoostinOnline

Member JoostinOnline Certified Crash Test Dummy

United States
    The closest I have come is when I downloaded some WiiWare demos to my SD card, and later did a NAND restore to back before I downloaded them. The demos were no longer available on the Shopping Channel by then, and I wasn't able to play them from my SD card because I didn't have rights.

12. G0dLiKe

Member G0dLiKe who needs a title ;)

United States
    Just dl the wad and install it. you paid for it already [​IMG]

13. aoeder
    OP

Newcomer aoeder Newbie

United States
    I'm probably going to call Nintendo about this tomorrow. I tried contacting Nintendo via email but they insist that I call them 'due to the nature of the problem'. Hopefully, I'll be able to download it from the Wii Shop Channel. Again, if this has happened to anyone before, please respond with a potential solution. I would have thought there could have been a way to re-write the ticket for a specific title and for the Wii Shop Channel to recognize it, but I guess not.

One thing's for sure: the warning on the AnyTitle Deleter page on WiiBrew that states:

"ALSO: DELETING DOWNLOADED TITLES FROM YOUR SYSTEM MAY REMOVE YOUR RE-DOWNLOAD RIGHTS!!"

is definitely true.

14. tueidj

Member tueidj I R Expert

The only "potential solution" for getting a legit ticket is to attempt buying it again so the shop channel retrieves a new ticket from nintendo's servers (and when it sees that you own it, skips deducting the points). If people knew how to make fake tickets that fooled the shop channel they wouldn't be sharing wads and using wad managers.

15. aoeder
    OP

Newcomer aoeder Newbie

United States
    Nintendo's Customer Service solved this for me! Apparently, they have tools to "re-sync" a Wii to its online account be simply supplying its serial number. In doing this, I was able to re-download Donkey Kong Country for no additional cost.