Lost the main SD Card I used for my Wii (faceplam)

Discussion in 'Wii - Hacking' started by petethepug, Feb 5, 2017.

1. petethepug
    OP

petethepug PUG

May 2, 2016
    United States
    COMPUTER
    So I know its kind of lame, but I was going to turn on my Wii and play CTGP, and realized that my SD Card was missing from my Wii. I haven't used in weeks (if not months) and the last time I used it (If I recall) it was in my PC, and I did something with it.

Since the SDHC Card was only 8 GB, I was thinking just getting a new one with slightly more memory to install some more versions of Project M to my Wii, and another project similar to Project M.

Should I have to worry about anything specifically being on my SD's card, for instance do I need the Wii private folder to be on my SD Card in order to have it function with homebrew?
    Sorry its been awhile since I have gotten into Wii Homebrew.

I used the letter bomb exploit to install homebrew to my Wii.

2. SonicMC

SonicMC GBAtemp Regular

Dec 6, 2007
    United States
    No large worries, Homebrew Channel and IOS are installed to the nand on the system. Along with save files.

You need to redownload any apps,
    If you had games installed via wadmanager and moved to SD card, those would be stored in the private folder. So you would need to redo those if you wanted to play those games.

If you get a SD card over 32GB, you would need to manually format it to fat32. Wii doesn't work with exfat.

If you plan on doing wads or updating any ios or system files, I recommend you make a nandbackup first.

3. petethepug
    OP

petethepug PUG

May 2, 2016
    United States
    COMPUTER
    Oh alright, I was kind of worried their for a second.
    So, its kind of fuzzy in my head but would I need the SD Card set up like this
    Code:
    SD:/

apps (folder)
    (Main apps go on root of SD Card for compatibility like emulators, or bootlegs for CTGP, Project M, etc...)

============

SD:/apps
    (Homebrew or other apps go here, in order to enter something from the Homebrew menu.)
    Also one other question, should I still keep the private folder on the root of my SD Card just in case? (Will the Wii have effects if the private folder is not found?) I was just wondering because I have been getting into 3DS Homebrew, do you need certain files on their for it to communicate with the Wii, like if I didn't have the private folder setup would I have a data error, or issue?

4. SonicMC

SonicMC GBAtemp Regular

Dec 6, 2007
    United States
    I don't have my wii sd card to look at but here is the general idea:

all apps go in the apps folder.
    However different applications can require folders in different locations for holding the roms and save files.

example
    fceugx application for emulating nes

Store app in:
    SD:/apps/fceugx/boot.dol
    SD:/apps/fceugx/metasomethingfilethatIremembernotthenameof
    SD:/apps/fceugx/picturefilethatIremembernotthenameof

Store saves and games
    SD:/fceugx/roms/
    SD:/fceugx/saves/

As for the private folder, It will just get recreated if need be. no worries if it's not currently there.

Last edited by SonicMC, Feb 6, 2017