Lost over 2000 points in Mario Kart!!

Discussion in 'Wii - Console and Game Discussions' started by Grish4, Jun 5, 2008.

Jun 5, 2008
  1. Grish4
    OP

Newcomer Grish4 Member

Australia
    I worked hard to reach over 8500 but now I'm stuck on about 7600, it's so frustrating, I can play for an hour, winning or coming 2nd each race and get back to 8000 but all that work can be cancelled out by 1 random disconnection!!

Last night for example: I started on about 7500 and got up to 7900, came first in a 12 player race and then suddenly the "disconnected from other players" message appeared. It not only stripped me of my last win, but stole 250 or so points from me! So back to square one again. This has happened time after time.

It takes a long time to rebuild the points again, with the ongoing fear of another DC. I hope nintendo can optimise how they handle client disconnections better. It is probably designed this way to prevent people from "pulling the plug" when their losing, but to penalise us when it's not even deliberate is harsh.

2. chromemolly

Newcomer chromemolly Member

Germany
    You can not buy anything for these points. You only get respect from people you probably never see. Write down your real points on a piece of paper. If anybody asks how much points you have. Tell them i even have more if this fu**** Nintendo Servers would work like they should do. It's all about fun.

3. Grish4
    OP

Newcomer Grish4 Member

Australia
    ^ True, but somehow I feel a sense of achievement when gaining points. It's also a good challenge to maintain 8000+ points.

4. zeckyD

Member zeckyD GBAtemp Regular

Bahamas, The
    Exactly same thing happened to me. I was so frustrated that i stoped playing MK wii online [​IMG] and went back to SSBB. Hopefully some kind of supergamers can reach over 9500 points [​IMG] . So it's possible...

5. Jax

Member Jax Pip Pip Cheerioink!

Portugal
    [​IMG]

6. Pyrofyr

Member Pyrofyr GBAtemp Maniac

United States
    OVER 9000?!?!?? IMPOSSIBLE!

In other relevant news, it does suck that they do that, they have teh same problem mostly overall, what they should do is have a secondary variable to hold your limit of actual points, for example one with current and one with total, so that if you disconnect or whatnot everyone goes back to what they had beforehand. Or at the very least, if you were WINNING at the time give you back your points and that's that, or at least some sort of way to tell 'who' disconnected, so that only that person is penalized, but that would require a centralized server as opposed to client-client. There are other ways but heh.

7. .TakaM

Member .TakaM .II

New Zealand
    oh god jax, finally someone found a way to make that over 9000 thing funny XD

do you race people in your region only? it may reduce disconnections

8. jumpman17

Former Staff jumpman17 He's a semi-aquatic egg laying mammal of action!

United States
    I've had the disconnected message twice now and both times placed me in first and gave me points.

9. R2DJ

Member R2DJ GBAtemp Advanced Maniac

United Kingdom
    There are 2 types of disconnections.

1) The "you were disconnected from other players" message where you "mysteriously" get DC'ed and lose 1000 points (that happened to me once...that's why I don't stay in WFC that long anymore)...
    2) The "disconnected during data network error"...Luckily, you won't lose any points, but if you're liking the competition then that's just...bummer.

10. Shuny

Member Shuny I'm in yr forum, reading yr postz

France
    I use a Wii lan adapter and never had any disconnection.

WiFi is a very weak technology. When you don't have a problem with all the config WEP/WPA/WPA-TSK/Channels/... it's a miracle. I stopped using Wifi and I'm using Ethernet cables instead.

11. R2DJ

Member R2DJ GBAtemp Advanced Maniac

United Kingdom
    I agree but my room is so full of wires I'm considering of renovating my whole room.

What a way to get mice tempted....

12. link459

Member link459 GBAtemp Fan

United States
    Oh my god... You don't know how many times this has happened to me. I've lost over 15,000 points from this BS. D:

13. hdofu

Member hdofu GBAtemp Regular

United States
    The only thing it means is opportunity to take advantage of people who may underestimate you when you race them

14. sjones900

Member sjones900 GBAtemp Advanced Member

United States
    I've have a linksys wrtg54 wifi router and I've never been disconnected from WFC. I highly recommend that you get one they're not all that expensive either.

or you could get a lan adapter

15. EddyB

Member EddyB GBAtemp Regular

Netherlands
    Who cares about the points, it's nice because you can play against people your own rank but nothing more.