1. fluffykiwi

fluffykiwi GBAtemp Fan

The games companies just need to switch to telling gamers what the contents of the loot box will be to get around the gambling accusations. They will still be able to target the game's addicts, just not so brazenly taking their money and not delivering anything they want to buy in the "random" lootbox, forcing multiple purchases on those desperate for certain items.

They are not random when the company can set the odds on certain contents. Paying cash only for a chance to get a desired item is gambling, but paying cash for a specific item is a sale.

I personally do not even want to see microtransactions within games, even for cosmetic items, although most argue this is acceptable to generate additional revenue for the producers. I feel this targets vulnerable people who are addicted to certain games.

When you read about people spending hundreds of dollars in a game like Marvel Heroes, within a few months of the console version becoming available, I find it hard to avoid feeling that person is an addict. Nevermind the shitstorm that the game closing and them ending up with nothing produces.

I personally have a tendency to want to collect everything within games I love. Luckily I'm now mature enough now not to be spending money within games for additional digital content.
    In the past I've had my own problems with my own addictive tendencies

Last edited: Nov 22, 2017
    Ryccardo and MadMageKefka like this.
  2. MadMageKefka

MadMageKefka GBAtemp Advanced Maniac

United States
    Depends where in USA. some places, Massachusetts, for example, have very strict gambling laws.

3. Polopop123

Polopop123 Banned
    Banned

Ireland
    Step in the right direction

MadMageKefka likes this.
  4. chartube12

chartube12 Captain Chaz 86

United States
    this thread is funny! HA! Alot of people in this thread over the summer said they rather have loot boxes from EA then pay for non-cosmetic multiplayer dlc. Now you are bitching about how unfair the loot boxes are. Ha. Hypocrites, hypocrites everywhere. You were warned by supporting loot boxes, eventually they would screw you over. I don't feel sorry for any adults who willingly have purchased more then 50 bucks on loot boxes or digital cash to buy loot boxes.

5. MadMageKefka

MadMageKefka GBAtemp Advanced Maniac

United States
    Um... The discussion started over them being banned in some areas, or very close to.... not because anyone was "bitching." Not to mention, trying to generalize this into "everyone." I've always thought loot boxes were crap, where do I fit into your little equation? The people you are talking about only make up a small percentage.

Pluupy and Tomato Hentai like this.
  6. RedBlueGreen

RedBlueGreen GBAtemp Advanced Maniac

Canada
    If you're already told the prize is random it's not a scam. You're not being misled in any way. If there aren't any microtransactions then we'll just get more casual shit like candy crush amd city building games. While summoning and paying for random equipment is gimmicky you're not forced to do it and you're already told it's random. If we don't have microtransactions any decent mobile games will be the $20+ Square Enix ports and games.
    Exactly. If you're trying to define gambling as getting something for being luck based then you have to include things like trading card games and raffles. Hell, the cards are prizes would have actual value making them closer to gambling than a loot box is. There's also the fact that they're completely optional and you don't have to let your kids buy them. If they require a credit card then they're probably intended for adults or people with permission from parents to buy them. So you're not protecting kids who can't buy them without permission to begin with.

Last edited: Nov 22, 2017
    Ryccardo likes this.
  7. Ritsuki

Ritsuki ORAORAORAORA

Switzerland
    Last edited: Nov 23, 2017
  8. KingVamp

KingVamp Haaah-hahahaha!

United States
    EA probably thought the same thing, now look at the trouble they have now. Besides, not everyone follows gaming like this. Poor business practices and people are trying to defend them. Wasn't even talking about mobile. Talking about these bigger games, especially these $60, that are being even more exploitive than mobile games themselves.

9. Noctosphere

Noctosphere Adoptive father of my kitty named Zelda
    Banned

Canada
    Can someone link me to that famous reddit post with the world record of downvote please?
    Thanks

10. HaloEliteLegend

OP HaloEliteLegend Zzzz

United States
  11. SG854

SG854 If It Bleeds, We Can Kill It

Comoros
    HaloEliteLegend likes this.
  12. Noctosphere

Banned

Canada
    HaloEliteLegend likes this.
  13. Xiphiidae

Xiphiidae

Australia
    Good. It's pathetic how representations of gambling (e.g. Game Corners in Pokémon) are deemed unsuitable to be in video games while what are effectively actual gambling practices that are fuelled by nothing but greed and designed to get people addicted are acceptable.

Pluupy, MushGuy, Bladexdsl and 2 others like this.
  14. SG854

SG854 If It Bleeds, We Can Kill It

Comoros
    The lawyers that work for corporations say they feel like prostitutes. Lawyers are basically trained to separate their feelings from the position their client wants to take, meaning your morals go out the window for the sake of your job. It works well for you as a lawyer career wise, but horrible as a moral human being. Theres a reason alcoholism is twice as high for lawyers than the general population.

41% of lawyers say they would choose a different career if they were given a chance to do it all over again. On top of the $80,000 debt from law school, you have people going into corporate law rather than public service law because it pays more. The reason is because if someone ever wants to get married and have kids than they would need the higher salary from getting into corporate law. And rather than changing their careers they hate they change their personalities so they can continue to work the job that pays them more. Lawyers can work up to 75 to 90 hours a week just to earn those higher salaries. So you have lawyers that suffer from chest pains, arthritis, hypertension, and insomnia in their 30's. Thus the alcoholism problem.

Tomato Hentai likes this.
  15. Taleweaver

Taleweaver Storywriter

Belgium
    Okay. That's true. I admit I drew the wrong conclusion from what you your first wrote. Sorry for that. :(

Note, though, that my opinion itself doesn't change. It's not because parents (or oneself) have the prime responsibility to properly guard use of credit card/other means of online payment that developers are off the hook. I'm not conveniently blaming EA/dice/disney/many AAA-game developers for their practice, and I'm most certainly not blaming them because of fluffy reasons like "family values". I don't really mind people buying half-assed, broken or incomplete games, or even buying games where the developer lied to the audience (no man's sky). The reason: people can judge for themselves and just get a refund if they don't like what they've bought. That whole transparency isn't there with loot boxes. I mean...I am correct in assuming you can't simply ask for a refund when you spend money on a loot box...right?

16. Joom

Joom  ❤❤❤

United States
    I won't argue that it's a garbage mechanic. I've always hated the pay-to-win model regardless of whether or not it's random (reason why I never got into trading card games after the age of 10). I also despise that many games (mostly mobile) also make it nearly impossible to progress in the game without throwing money at them. That's honestly a bigger problem to me than gambling. At least with "loot boxes" you have at least one iota of a chance of getting something good. These games that purposely make the experience difficult (Clash of Clans, and all these other freemium games that get mainstream advertising) unless you spend money, is extortion in my opinion. Sure, you know what you're paying for, but the game is next to impossible unless you pay for it. I don't know of any AAA titles that do this (there's probably an MMO somewhere, I don't play them), but it's only a matter of time until they do.

ThoD likes this.
  17. Haloman800

Haloman800 a real gril

United States
    Gambling involves cash prizes. This isn't gambling, it's akin to a "spin the wheel" prize game.

When I was a kid, the local dollar store had "surprise" bags for $1, filled with stickers, puzzles, bubbles, etc. Was that also gambling?

Also, do you accept that buying stocks is gambling? If not, why not?

18. Noctosphere

Banned

Canada
    actually, just buying a game is gambling, because you never know if youll like it :P

19. ihaveamac

ihaveamac GBAtemp Guru

United States
    it may not be legally, technically gambling right now, but in every other sense, it is gambling. you're paying for a chance at a desirable outcome. it's dangerous to those with gambling habits like those who could possibly dump thousands on in-game microtransactions.

Noctosphere likes this.
  20. jt_1258

jt_1258 Human?

United States
    hmm, having to be 21 just to play overwatch cause it has gambling, welp, seems I need to lie more about my age

— Posts automatically merged - Please don't double post! —

aka whales, we have a word for those types who dump boat loads of cash on just wanting one character or skin of said character

Draft saved Draft deleted

Hide similar threads Similar threads with keywords - Declared, Gambling, Belgium