Hacking Looks like DLC is now in BBB's sights New.Super.Mario.Bros.2.Including.10.DLC

Celice

Trophies
XP
Country
United States
But they know that actually nobody can install .Cia files except for a few, so i dont know why they release this
unless it's just to draw attention
Preservation, which is what the scene is primarily about. People might use these mainly for piracy and free games, but that's not the only reason for the releases.

Reactions: Zidapi and Blueie

Hiccup

Trophies
XP
Country
The ppf would be bigger than the destination file since the whole file would be re-encrypted with the different data (even if using the same key).

BTW, there are patching methods that drastically reduce patch sizes by using data shifting and compression such as bsdiff and xdelta.

I was using PPF as an example. I don't really care if the patch file is bigger than the original or modified files.

cearp

瓜老外
Developer
Trophies
XP
Country
Tuvalu
But they know that actually nobody can install .Cia files except for a few, so i dont know why they release this
unless it's just to draw attention

you're right, so back when pokemon x and y were not playable on gateway, they shouldn't have been dumped? lol

Reactions: Zidapi

gamesquest1

Nabnut
OP
Former Staff
Trophies
XP
I was using PPF as an example. I don't really care if the patch file is bigger than the original or modified files.
yeah but then whats the point, why bother making a patch that just generates completely different content, the purpose of a patch is that you have 2 files that are similar, you make a patch that looks at the differences and is able to convert file A into File B, without needing to send all of file B as you know most people already have file A

there would also be no reason to make a patch that's bigger than the file you intend to send, its basically how do you intend to suddenly make one thing into another thing if none of the new file is already in the first file its illogical to even bother turning anything into anything else if none of the reasons patch's exist even apply

you might as well just send a copy of the DLC if you already have access to it

Hiccup

Trophies
XP
Country
yeah but then whats the point, why bother making a patch that just generates completely different content, the purpose of a patch is that you have 2 files that are similar, you make a patch that looks at the differences and is able to convert file A into File B, without needing to send all of file B as you know most people already have file A

there would also be no reason to make a patch that's bigger than the file you intend to send, its basically how do you intend to suddenly make one thing into another thing if none of the new file is already in the first file its illogical to even bother turning anything into anything else if none of the reasons patch's exist even apply

you might as well just send a copy of the DLC if you already have access to it

I don't have access to the decrypted DLC levels, but I do want them. I want a patch because distributing copyrighted game files is discouraged around here.

gamesquest1

Nabnut
OP
Former Staff
Trophies
XP
I don't have access to the decrypted DLC levels, but I do want them. I want a patch because distributing copyrighted game files is discouraged around here.
yeah, but the purpose of a patch for not distributing the content is defeated if the patch would have to contain all the data to make the files.....then it would just be the data but in a silly format XD

i understand why you want it and understand that it would be good if there was a freely distributable method to share, them, but the most you can hope for is a tool that will extract the data from the DLC BBB released

osm70

Trophies
XP
Country
Czech Republic

So you want a patch that will give you the DLC?
That is copyrighted too.

Hiccup

Trophies
XP
Country
yeah, but the purpose of a patch for not distributing the content is defeated if the patch would have to contain all the data to make the files.....then it would just be the data but in a silly format XD

i understand why you want it and understand that it would be good if there was a freely distributable method to share, them, but the most you can hope for is a tool that will extract the data from the DLC BBB released

Wouldn't it be the data in a silly format that cannot be used by anyone, only people who get the copyrighted rom from elsewhere?

So you want a patch that will give you the DLC?
That is copyrighted too.

Isn't using patches the basis of the game-modding/rom-hacking community?

WoJjTeK

Trophies
XP
Country
Poland
Wouldn't it be the data in a silly format that cannot be used by anyone, only people who get the copyrighted rom from elsewhere?

Isn't using patches the basis of the game-modding/rom-hacking community?
Yeah, ROM HACKING , the levels made by individual users / hackers from around the world are shared using patches , DLC has been made by Nintendo and is copyrighted just like the game itself. You can't obtain the DLC for free just like You can't get the game for free. It's like saying that distributing pirated movies compressed with WinRAR is OK, because the archive itself is useless unless You have a way to extract it.

gamesquest1

Nabnut
OP
Former Staff
Trophies
XP
a really dumb explanation of patches
right imagine this is the copy written material
Code:
hello my name is mario and i like to eat spaghetti
all of that is copywitten, now i make a mod it which keeps it mostly the same but adds a few of my own bits in like
Code:
hello my name is super mario and i like to eat pizza
now i cant distribute that as its still mostly the copy written code with my own patches done to it.....my patches are my own so they aren't copy written...so how can i distribute my mod without including the copy written code....easy make a patch that will only include instructions on how to patch the original code with my mods
so for example it could go something like this
Code:
insert "super" after word 4, and change the last word to "pizza"

that way someone can follow those instruction to convert the original copy written work into my mod, without me distributing the actual original code

obviously its more complicated than that when it comes to patches but its the general idea

Reactions: Zidapi

Hiccup

Trophies
XP
Country
Yeah, ROM HACKING , the levels made by individual users / hackers from around the world are shared using patches , DLC has been made by Nintendo and is copyrighted just like the game itself. You can't obtain the DLC for free just like You can't get the game for free. It's like saying that distributing pirated movies compressed with WinRAR is OK, because the archive itself is useless unless You have a way to extract it.

I own a 3DS, NSMB2 and all the DLC.
EDIT: ...I kind of forgot that the DLC cost something. I guess I will just have to wait for someone to release a method for decrypting these files.

Dan-the-Rebirth

Trophies
XP
Country
Australia
Great, another useless public release from BBB

Try to look at it the other way around: now we have the public release of DLC maybe now Gateway finds a way how we can play them.
If my memory serves me rigth it was the sme with eshop titles: first came the release then the means to play them

kyogre123

Mexican Pride
Trophies
XP
Country
Mexico
Are you comparing be able to run a .3ds that have a new save metod with be able to install .CIa files ? XD

As I said before, it may not be really necessary to install these files in order to play them. Gateway has acquired a lot of knowledge about the 3DS and given that ctrtool is open sourced, they could probably borrow part of this code and implement it to load CIA files as CCI; after all, these are similar formats. Regarding DLC, that would be a bit of a different history, but I don't think it would be impossible.

Lordjontan

Trophies
XP
Country
Colombia
I'm just saying that BBB release is useless for the general public and their "valuable" explanations in the nfo too, but they can do whatever they want. I do not think short term the GW team release a metod to install DLC. but mine are just assumptions

Reecey

Mario 64 (favorite game of all time)
Trophies
XP
Country
Is there anyway to install the dev menu for .cia files to be installed? because it is supposed to be a homebrew app. which GW does have:-

http://3dbrew.org/wiki/3DS_Development_Unit_Software#Dev_Menu

I Quote:-
  • Import- From this window, titles compiled in the format of a .CIA file, can be installed from the SD card. In later revisions this was renamed to SDMC.

Doran754

Conform comrades
Trophies
XP
Country
United Kingdom
I'm just saying that BBB release is useless for the general public and their "valuable" explanations in the nfo too, but they can do whatever they want. I do not think short term the GW team release a metod to install DLC. but mine are just assumptions

You're coming across as such a self entitled ass. There's only one answer to your problem. BUY the game yourself.

Nic333

Trophies
XP
Country
Brazil
Reactions: Reecey

Site & Scene News

Popular threads in this forum

General chit-chat
Help Users
  • No one is chatting at the moment.
    I @ idonthave: :)