Hardware looking to swap top and bottom plates!

omgcat

OP
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
i'm looking to trade my red top and battery cover plates for blue plates if anyone is local to menlo park, CA and has an imported blue 3ds?

cearp

瓜老外
Developer
Trophies
XP
Country
Tuvalu
i'm looking to trade my red top and battery cover plates for blue plates if anyone is local to menlo park, CA and has an imported blue 3ds?

red and blue? only the small new 3ds have exchangeable cover plates, the large ones do not. red and blue are xl sizes, the only small colors are black and white...

omgcat

OP
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
red and blue? only the small new 3ds have exchangeable cover plates, the large ones do not. red and blue are xl sizes, the only small colors are black and white...

i mean actually taking the top housing shell and battery cover and swapping them.

Arecaidian Fox

fox-ott
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
i mean actually taking the top housing shell and battery cover and swapping them.
If it's anything like a Lite, you'll have to partially disassemble the top half of the shell, maybe even nick off a few annoying plastic tabs (apologies if you already knew this in advance). I'm not going to consider swapping mine on my N3DS XL until I see plates I want. Personally I think Nintendo missed a large market by not doing custom plates for the XLs. I can understand not wanting to launch the standard-sized N3DS in North America, though. The regulars (and the DSi) of the same size were dropped like hot potatoes when XL versions came out. No real money to be had in it, though they did lose some minor sales to people doing imports because of it. Anyway, point being that I find the XL's lack of custom plates to be a huge miss in revenue for the Big N, especially outside of Japan.

cearp

瓜老外
Developer
Trophies
XP
Country
Tuvalu
If it's anything like a Lite, you'll have to partially disassemble the top half of the shell, maybe even nick off a few annoying plastic tabs (apologies if you already knew this in advance). I'm not going to consider swapping mine on my N3DS XL until I see plates I want. Personally I think Nintendo missed a large market by not doing custom plates for the XLs. I can understand not wanting to launch the standard-sized N3DS in North America, though. The regulars (and the DSi) of the same size were dropped like hot potatoes when XL versions came out. No real money to be had in it, though they did lose some minor sales to people doing imports because of it. Anyway, point being that I find the XL's lack of custom plates to be a huge miss in revenue for the Big N, especially outside of Japan.

well, there are no custom plates because they are not user replaceable. (just to remove confusion for anyone who does not understand it all, i am sure you do!)

Arecaidian Fox

fox-ott
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
well, there are no custom plates because they are not user replaceable. (just to remove confusion for anyone who does not understand it all, i am sure you do!)
Good catch. Yes, the plates on the N3DS XL are NOT meant to be removed by users. You can, but it voids warranties and all sorts of fun jazz. What I posted above (and what the OP is talking about with this thread) essentially falls into the category of a case mod :P

omgcat

OP
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
ok i bought a new 3ds xl metallic blue jap from ebay for 180 comes with a 32gb microsd. some images from ebay:
front.JPG
back.JPG

going to post pictures when it gets here and i'm done swapping the top shell and battery cover!

illicit

Trophies
XP
Country
United States
its easy but it would be easier to just swap the motherboard. i wish the blue came to the states. red is ugly imo

omgcat

OP
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
its not that hard actually. ive done a lot of mb swaps and its the same as the regular xl. i used to swap mobos before downgrading was possible into limited ed consoles.

where are you located? i'd be willing to pay for a mobo-swap.

Site & Scene News

Popular threads in this forum

General chit-chat
Help Users
  • RedColoredStars @ RedColoredStars:
    Imagine that. Leo is still active on site.
    Sorry, not sorry. But the guy creates his own chaos and I don't believe most everything he has to say about his situations. He has a criminal record and its common for people with those to play the victim to everyone.
    +1
    Constantly on web forums complaining about how wronged they have been, instead of taking action and finding actual solutions. Comfortable chaos.
    +2
  • AncientBoi @ AncientBoi:
    As He himself even stated.
  • LeoTCK @ LeoTCK:
    I don't care what you think is "common". I *have* been genuinly wronged.
  • LeoTCK @ LeoTCK:
    @AncientBoi I'm going to outright block you now.
    Pffffft sending me a PM stating we're all a bunch a mean azzholes :creep:. Same here DUDE :angry:
    How SAD you are. So SAD you'll stay ☹️
  • LeoTCK @ LeoTCK:
    butthurt aren't ya? can't stand the truth
    Leo, please seek professional mental health help. its not a knock on you. I suffer from mental illness too. You need some help, man.
    +2
  • DinohScene @ DinohScene:
    ^ that's some honest internet advise
    +1
  • LeoTCK @ LeoTCK:
    No...I need help to resolve this situation. MOTHERFUCKER
  • LeoTCK @ LeoTCK:
    putting me into a shrink is not going to help anyone but *THEM*
    Poor Leo. Everyone out to harm you.
    +1
  • LeoTCK @ LeoTCK:
    yes see? the fault is within you
  • SylverReZ @ SylverReZ:
    @RedColoredStars, Same here, I struggle too. Its highly suggested to maybe take a break from the site just to calm down.
  • LeoTCK @ LeoTCK:
    and ones like yuou
  • LeoTCK @ LeoTCK:
    so leave me alone and stop sending me pms
  • LeoTCK @ LeoTCK:
    you started
    Im pretty certain most people here, Leo, don't believe much of what you say about your situations, if anything at all.
  • LeoTCK @ LeoTCK:
    you sent me pm and brought me up here
  • LeoTCK @ LeoTCK:
    stupid motherfucker
  • LeoTCK @ LeoTCK:
    yea...you don't want to hear the truth
    Yeah. After you litter the forum with your sob stories. Im calling you out.
    RedColoredStars @ RedColoredStars: Yeah. After you litter the forum with your sob stories. Im calling you out.