Hardware looking to swap top and bottom plates!

omgcat

OP
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
i'm looking to trade my red top and battery cover plates for blue plates if anyone is local to menlo park, CA and has an imported blue 3ds?

cearp

瓜老外
Developer
Trophies
XP
Country
Tuvalu
i'm looking to trade my red top and battery cover plates for blue plates if anyone is local to menlo park, CA and has an imported blue 3ds?

red and blue? only the small new 3ds have exchangeable cover plates, the large ones do not. red and blue are xl sizes, the only small colors are black and white...

omgcat

OP
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
red and blue? only the small new 3ds have exchangeable cover plates, the large ones do not. red and blue are xl sizes, the only small colors are black and white...

i mean actually taking the top housing shell and battery cover and swapping them.

Arecaidian Fox

fox-ott
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
i mean actually taking the top housing shell and battery cover and swapping them.
If it's anything like a Lite, you'll have to partially disassemble the top half of the shell, maybe even nick off a few annoying plastic tabs (apologies if you already knew this in advance). I'm not going to consider swapping mine on my N3DS XL until I see plates I want. Personally I think Nintendo missed a large market by not doing custom plates for the XLs. I can understand not wanting to launch the standard-sized N3DS in North America, though. The regulars (and the DSi) of the same size were dropped like hot potatoes when XL versions came out. No real money to be had in it, though they did lose some minor sales to people doing imports because of it. Anyway, point being that I find the XL's lack of custom plates to be a huge miss in revenue for the Big N, especially outside of Japan.

cearp

瓜老外
Developer
Trophies
XP
Country
Tuvalu
If it's anything like a Lite, you'll have to partially disassemble the top half of the shell, maybe even nick off a few annoying plastic tabs (apologies if you already knew this in advance). I'm not going to consider swapping mine on my N3DS XL until I see plates I want. Personally I think Nintendo missed a large market by not doing custom plates for the XLs. I can understand not wanting to launch the standard-sized N3DS in North America, though. The regulars (and the DSi) of the same size were dropped like hot potatoes when XL versions came out. No real money to be had in it, though they did lose some minor sales to people doing imports because of it. Anyway, point being that I find the XL's lack of custom plates to be a huge miss in revenue for the Big N, especially outside of Japan.

well, there are no custom plates because they are not user replaceable. (just to remove confusion for anyone who does not understand it all, i am sure you do!)

Arecaidian Fox

fox-ott
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
well, there are no custom plates because they are not user replaceable. (just to remove confusion for anyone who does not understand it all, i am sure you do!)
Good catch. Yes, the plates on the N3DS XL are NOT meant to be removed by users. You can, but it voids warranties and all sorts of fun jazz. What I posted above (and what the OP is talking about with this thread) essentially falls into the category of a case mod :P

omgcat

OP
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
ok i bought a new 3ds xl metallic blue jap from ebay for 180 comes with a 32gb microsd. some images from ebay:
front.JPG
back.JPG

going to post pictures when it gets here and i'm done swapping the top shell and battery cover!

illicit

Trophies
XP
Country
United States
its easy but it would be easier to just swap the motherboard. i wish the blue came to the states. red is ugly imo

omgcat

OP
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
its not that hard actually. ive done a lot of mb swaps and its the same as the regular xl. i used to swap mobos before downgrading was possible into limited ed consoles.

where are you located? i'd be willing to pay for a mobo-swap.

Site & Scene News

Popular threads in this forum

General chit-chat
Help Users
  • No one is chatting at the moment.
  • Sicklyboy @ Sicklyboy:
    maaaaan that's so awesome but I also don't want to fork over a hundo for it
  • Veho @ Veho:
    The fuuuuu---
  • Veho @ Veho:
    I thought it was an actual xBox at that price.
  • Sicklyboy @ Sicklyboy:
    I wanna grab a 360 Slim and a 360 E one of these days. Missed the boat of getting them at their lowest though, once they were discontinued. Could've got them for cheap back when I was a broke 20 something working at Target, but then again, I was a broke 20 something working at Target
  • Veho @ Veho:
    Being broke is no fun.
  • K3Nv2 @ K3Nv2:
    @Sicklyboy, $150 isn't that bad for a jtag slim on ebay
  • Veho @ Veho:
    I only wish it was actually playable.
  • Veho @ Veho:
    There's a guy on the Tube of You that makes playable mechanical arcade games out of Lego. This could work on the same principle.
  • Veho @ Veho:
    Just a couple of guys taking their manatee out for some fresh air, why you have to molest them?
  • Veho @ Veho:
    Stupid Chinese shop switched their shipping company and this one is slooooooow.
  • LeoTCK @ LeoTCK:
    STOP BUYING CHINESE CRAP THEN
  • LeoTCK @ LeoTCK:
    SUPPORT LOCAL PRODUCTS, MAKE REVOLUTION
  • LeoTCK @ LeoTCK:
    THEY KEEP REMOVING LOCAL SHIt AND REPLACING WItH INFERIOR CHINESE CRAP
  • LeoTCK @ LeoTCK:
    THATS WHY MY PARTNER CANT GET A GOOTWEAR HIS SIZE ANYMORE
  • LeoTCK @ LeoTCK:
    HE HAS BIG FOOT AND BIG DUCK
  • LeoTCK @ LeoTCK:
    d*ck i mean*
  • LeoTCK @ LeoTCK:
    lol
  • Veho @ Veho:
    Mkay.
  • Veho @ Veho:
    I just ordered another package from China just to spite you.
  • SylverReZ @ SylverReZ:
    Leo could not withstand communism.
  • SylverReZ @ SylverReZ:
    Its OUR products to begin with lol.
    SylverReZ @ SylverReZ: Its OUR products to begin with lol.