Looking to repair R and L bumper cables for 2DS XL

Discussion in '3DS - Console, Accessories and Hardware' started by UnwantedFortune, Nov 8, 2019.

1. UnwantedFortune
    OP

UnwantedFortune Advanced Member

Newcomer
    Mar 16, 2017
    United States
    Well of Unfortunate Miracles
    So I have recently been playing a lot of Minecraft 3DS Edition on my 2DS XL, and the R button is beginning to give out. As such, I'd like to replace it, but alternatively, if it's possible, is there anything I can do to just clean the current piece already in my DS?

If I cannot clean or repair in some way the bumper strips already found in my 2DS, does it use the same bumper strips as the other 3DS models, or will I need to find bumper strips specifically for the 2DS XL?

Thank you in advance, I realize these are pretty simple questions, but this will be my first time repairing one of my Nintendo Handhelds and I want to make sure I don't do anything wrong. Thank you.

2. Extrasklep

Extrasklep gbaTemp Fan

Aug 24, 2017
    Poland
    Browser’s Castle
    You should buy replacement cables for the new 2DS XL (maybe the other new 3DS models are compatible but it's better to just buy ones meant for the 2DS XL)
    It shouldn't be expensive and it should be easy to replace (you need the right screwdriver though)
    For a temporary fix now you can try blowing into the buttons because that somehow magically fixes everything?

3. UnwantedFortune
    OP

Newcomer
    Mar 16, 2017
    United States
    When looking online I've so far only been able to find bumper strips labeled as 3DS r and l buttons, so I assume they will work. It would make sense, why make a different bumper strip for a system that's exactly like your other system minus a couple things.

Until I find a screwdriver to open my DS, I'm going to assume it's the same bumper strip.

4. Extrasklep

Extrasklep gbaTemp Fan

Aug 24, 2017
    Poland
    Browser’s Castle
    New 3DS and old 3DS models definitely have different cables because the new models also have the ZL/ZR buttons on the same cables

Orangy57 and UnwantedFortune like this.
  5. KleinesSinchen

KleinesSinchen The Backup Reminder

Mar 28, 2018
    Germany
    Opposed to all 3DS models the 2DS models do not offer a simple way of replacing (L), (R), (ZL) and (ZR).

Have a look at this ifixit guide. A good motherboard picture is in “Step 9”. The four shoulder buttons are micro switches soldered onto the motherboard (bottom of the image)

Cleaning the buttons with isopropyl might help. Remove the battery before doing so. Be careful not to spill liquid anywhere else and let it thoroughly dry before reconnecting the battery.
    :!: Opening the N2DSXL is harder than any other 3DS family model because the case is hold together with clips (and triwing screws). After opening all clips with a plastic opener tool, do not fully separate two halves yet! Disconnect the cables first. Please refer to the ifixit manual and maybe additional videos when opening a N2DSXL.

Ammako and UnwantedFortune like this.
  6. Extrasklep

Extrasklep gbaTemp Fan

Aug 24, 2017
    Poland
    Browser’s Castle
    I thought the new 2DS XL uses cables unlike the old 2DS, that sucks

Ammako and KleinesSinchen like this.
  7. UnwantedFortune
    OP

Newcomer
    Mar 16, 2017
    United States
    Yikes, I'm not sure I trust myself to do this properly anymore. Maybe I'm better off just getting a new DS and homebrewing again.

KleinesSinchen likes this.
  8. KleinesSinchen

KleinesSinchen The Backup Reminder

Mar 28, 2018
    Germany
    Yeah, it sucks. On the other hand I understand it a bit. Both 2DS consoles are/were quite cheap. They had to lower production costs somehow. I still would have preferred $5 more for better repairability. Those shoulder buttons are prone to wear (early).

Giving up the complete console because of worn buttons? I would rather backup all data preparing everything for usage on a new system and try DIY repair anyway. Maybe somebody can help you? If it fails… still can buy a new system.

In case there is a lot of paid eShop content moving it with System Transfer to a fully working unit before trying DIY is a good idea. If the console totally bricks you would have to call Nintendo to unlink your NNID in order to get access to your purchases again (if no NNID is linked… I don’t know how to get the licenses back).

In any case: Good luck!

Extrasklep likes this.
  9. UnwantedFortune
    OP

Newcomer
    Mar 16, 2017
    United States
    It's been a while since I've done anything homebrew related, but i thought you could system transfer a homebrew console?

10. TurdPooCharger

TurdPooCharger Meh.

Jan 1, 2018
    United States
    @UnwantedFortune, are you good at using a soldering iron?

or
    Look in both threads for more details on DSiWare and GBA VC games.

11. Michael18751

Michael18751 Member

Newcomer
    Jul 21, 2019
    United States
    In my new 3ds xl it had kinda wonky triggers but after removing and re installing it fixed the issue.

12. Ammako

Ammako I like cake.

Dec 22, 2009
    Antarctica
    TurdPooCharger likes this.
Quick Reply
Draft saved Draft deleted