Status
Not open for further replies.

calthephenom

OP
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
hey everyone, i'd be willing to pay $5 USD for someone to take my current source, and, using only libpng (no grrlib, lwsprite, or lwgui) create someone along the lines of this
1ikfw5.png

here's my current source
http://pastie.org/993298
anyone willing to?

calthephenom

OP
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
you'd be suprised how many 15 year olds with no jobs on summer vacation would be willing to do this. i'll even say screw the song stats, and resort to button input to stop the song

monkat

I'd like to see you TRY to ban me. (Should I try?.
Banned
Trophies
Website
www.monkat.net
XP
Country
United States
giantpune said:
dont be a douche. you have copied somebody else's code verbatum. http://wiibrew.org/wiki/MiniMP3_Player somebody was nice enough to give you source code for their program and you act like a little kid and claim it as your own work.

Wow, OP. You give a bad name to open source development.

kai445

Trophies
XP
Country
United States
If he wants to rip it off wholesale, I dont think the original author really gives a crap, otherwise he would have probably assigned it a formal license... I suppose you could argue that it is wholly owned and copyrighted by the owner, but give me a break here, there is no moral high ground, it's just basic example code, as I understand it a "take it and learn" type of thing.

It links to what, libogc? What license is that even under?

giantpune

Trophies
XP
Country
United States
the dourcebag move is saying "here is my source...". i dont care if its a 3 line haiku you read from the wall of a truck-stop bathroom. saying something is yours when it obviously is not is douchbaggery.

monkat

Banned
Trophies
Website
www.monkat.net
XP
Country
United States
kai445 said:
If he wants to rip it off wholesale, I dont think the original author really gives a crap, otherwise he would have probably assigned it a formal license... I suppose you could argue that it is wholly owned and copyrighted by the owner, but give me a break here, there is no moral high ground, it's just basic example code, as I understand it a "take it and learn" type of thing.

It links to what, libogc? What license is that even under?

(According to here, libogc is under various licenses due to its inclusion of several different libraries)

It's not about what negative effects come out of him claiming the source code as his own, and it's not really about copyright either; like you said, the author probably doesn't care about other people using the source if he/she/it/they made it open source. The problem is that credit needs to be given where credit is due. Its like entering a box of store-bought cookies into a cookie-baking contest. I'm sure Pillsbury doesn't care (however delicious their cookies may be), but whoever entered them will obviously be disqualified.

kai445

Trophies
XP
Country
United States
Okay, lets give a more ... basic... example
wink.gif

' gbatemp.bas
CLS
PRINT "HELLO WORLD"
END

Alright, so we got ourselves a nice beginners tutorial. Look, it clears the screen and displays text! No license there, released for people to learn from. Drawing from this as an analogy... If he went "Hey, I want someone to code me a rewrite of this, but displaying "hello world" using the draw command instead of print... I'm willing to pay someone $5. Do you really think he needs to attribute anything to the original author? Is that really necessary?

MattJ

Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
Necessary? No.

However, it is morally the right thing to do. If I used someone's code, no matter how little, I would credit them for it.

calthephenom

OP
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
giantpune said:
dont be a douche. you have copied somebody else's code verbatum. http://wiibrew.org/wiki/MiniMP3_Player somebody was nice enough to give you source code for their program and you act like a little kid and claim it as your own work.

wtf...i wasn't trying to steal it. i gave credit for the source on my Wiibrew project page. i didn't claim it as my own, at least, not intentionally. i just claimed my modifications as my own. probably my fault for not giving credit in the first post

monkat

Banned
Trophies
Website
www.monkat.net
XP
Country
United States
Sayargh said:
Pfft, $5. I've been paid hundreds for doing much less than this before.

I'm not saying its a lot of moneys, but its not like making a GUI is that difficult. It's probably going to be the easiest thing anyone would commission...I honestly can't think of anything smaller than that worth anything...the only thing that might be difficult is that for some reason you're restricted to libpng and nothing else....

exangel

executioner angel
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
that's not even nearly worth an hour's work of minimum wage in your state.

if you're suggesting that this project is worth less than an hour's wages,

and that it's not very difficult,

you're better off doing it yourself.

edit: bah, it's 2 AM and i'm tired, i interpreted the previous post as being from the OP. since I don't know what state the OP is in this statement doesn't quite apply..

bushing

Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
I'd love to be able to post something constructive here, but I really can't. You cobbled together some code you don't understand, and of course you have no clue why it doesn't work. The original code (which you did not credit) had some bad bugs -- but you didn't bother to understand it well enough to see them -- and you added more.

So, instead, all I can say is that stuff like this makes the baby Jesus cry:

Code:
if ((st.st_mode & S_IFDIR ? "DIR":"FILE")=="FILE") {...}
[...]
printf(30,files[i]);

Status
Not open for further replies.

Site & Scene News

Popular threads in this forum

General chit-chat
Help Users
    HiradeGirl @ HiradeGirl: Have a nice day. Life. Week. Month. year.