Looking to improve my Japanese, I want to get better :3

Discussion in 'General Off-Topic Chat' started by the_randomizer, Mar 16, 2019.

1. the_randomizer
    OP

the_randomizer The Temp's official fox whisperer

GBAtemp Patron
    the_randomizer is a Patron of GBAtemp and is helping us stay independent!

Our Patreon
    Apr 29, 2011
    United States
    Dr. Wahwee's castle
    So, I've gotten a little rusty with my Japanese language skills, and I've been itching to find ways to improve on it, reading, writing and speaking, so all aspects. What do you suggest for the best ways on improving? Watching anime with subtitles, reading out of kanji learning books? Like, I want to keep getting better, or first of all, get back what I've lost and gotten rust on over the years, I still retain a good portion of my Japanese, but I know I can do better, and can improve. I'm open to all suggestions, thanks ^_^

2. FAST6191

FAST6191 Techromancer

pip Reporter
    Nov 21, 2005
    United Kingdom
    Most of your list is a shorthand for quasi immersion. Such things demonstrably work, whether they are the most effective or not is a different matter - they are somewhat passive in nature and tend to either fall by the wayside or just not stick as well as they might.

An interesting trick for languages in general I saw some time back, and do myself, is on your own time to narrate as it were your actions. Even something as benign as the start of the day. I need to go to the kitchen, I am going to have cereal, I need to add milk to the shopping list (by the way writing a shopping list in another language is also a good thing), quasi role play as well if you want and "order" your breakfast like you were at a cafe. You can even do it for multiple languages if you have them. If you are travelling somewhere describe things happening, or navigate yourself to places if you decided to take a turn down a given road. It will force you to construct sentences, keep vocabulary in mind (possibly stuff you don't always use as well).

These days I use it more for mechanical/electrical parts to keep the laser eyeball calibrated and updated but flash cards you play with to identify characters (even if it is kana at first) or words and randomly go through a bunch when you have some time. If you want to reward yourself (nice morning square of chocolate or something) then you can.

the_randomizer likes this.
  3. ClassyDragon

ClassyDragon Advanced Member

Newcomer
    Jan 30, 2017
    United States
    ケンタッキー
    I'm close friends with a few Japanese students at my university and I can testify that speaking as much Japanese as you can (even if you're unsure that you're correct) with speakers of the language is the best way to improve in that area. This isn't an option for everyone though unfortunately, so I'd also recommend immersing yourself in Japanese media as much as possible.

I've heard an effective method is downloading episodes of anime and Japanese TV shows and listening to them through headphones at any possible moment. You'll be able to pick out words you recognize, and watching the episodes later with subtitles and graphic context will help you learn the words you don't. I also recommend using apps like HelloTalk to talk with native speakers and set up phone calls to practice speaking.

Kanji is it's own beast. There's really no "trick" to learning it other than slaving away at it every single day... Of course, there are certain methods that are better than others. Personally, I find different media to read and over time internalize the most common characters. This means I'm not the best at writing them from memory but I can usually identify them while reading, which is what I need them for mostly anyway.

I also recently bought a visual bilingual dictionary that really helps me personally. If you're more of a visual learner, I'd recommend using something like that to memorize words as opposed to vocabulary lists.

4. Minox

Minox Thanks for the fish

Former Staff
    Aug 27, 2007
    Japan
    This works even better if you're of age and can join a drinking party (nomikai) together with a few Japanese people.

5. the_randomizer
    OP

GBAtemp Patron

Our Patreon
    Apr 29, 2011
    United States
    Dr. Wahwee's castle
    Sorry the late reply, my brother, parents and I were watching Captain Marvel last night, didn't get home till late, and I also found out Hulu has a treasure trove of anime, subbed. But your suggestions too, are awesome :P

@Minox, I uh don't really drink, but I do have a few Japanese friends here in the states :P

6. leafeon34

leafeon34 My profile picture is ugly

Sep 30, 2014
    Greece
    Elysium
    ClassyDragon likes this.
  7. ClassyDragon

ClassyDragon Advanced Member

Newcomer
    Jan 30, 2017
    United States
    ケンタッキー
    Yoooooo Misa's videos are amazing, highly recommend them as well

8. azoreseuropa

azoreseuropa GBAtemp Guru

Nov 6, 2002
    United States
    Azores/Portugal
    Other suggestion: Have a Japanese friend who is a 100 percent fluent Japanese speaking. So he/she can correct you. Highly recommended!

And I found this site that it said it is one of the most difficult languages to learn. Here: https://www.fluentu.com/blog/japanese/how-to-become-fluent-in-japanese/

9. the_randomizer
    OP

GBAtemp Patron

Our Patreon
    Apr 29, 2011
    United States
    Dr. Wahwee's castle
    Right, but that's easier said than done, all my native Japanese friends are all, well, in Japan or Australia, not much I can do about that.

10. azoreseuropa

azoreseuropa GBAtemp Guru

Nov 6, 2002
    United States
    Azores/Portugal
    I understand what you mean. Well, I hope you succeed. Have fun with it.

11. the_randomizer
    OP

GBAtemp Patron

Our Patreon
    Apr 29, 2011
    United States
    Dr. Wahwee's castle
    I've started watching anime, subbed only, as well as something Duo Lingo and a few other things