AeroblitzR

OP
Trophies
Website
Visit site
XP
Country
United States
Yeah, so i wanna get into this series and i have a few questions.

1. what game (story-wise) should i start with?

2. How many of the games am i gonna need to play to get the storyline?

3. I know there's a few re-releases, so which is the best version to play?

I have a ps3(shittiy slim version), 3ds, pc and wii

D

Deleted_171835

1. MGS1. Go in order.

2. MGS1, 2, 3, 4. Peacewalker is good for some additional info on The Boss.

3. HD Collection. For MGS1, buy it off PSN or get the PC version.

machomuu

Drops by occasionally
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
Story-wise you should either start with Metal Gear (for the MSX, it's the first game in the series but the third chronologically), Metal Gear Solid (The Sequel to Metal Gear 1 and 2) or Metal Gear Solid 3: Snake Eater (The first game in the series chronologically).

emigre

Deck head
Trophies
Website
gbatemp.net
XP
Country
United Kingdom
Soulx is right so I'll just add to what he said. You can play the NGC remake of MGS1 called Twin Snakes. There's Portable Ops on the PSP which is part of the main cannon, which I think is worth playing if you ever pick up a PSP or PSV. There's also the original Metal Gear games for the MSX-2 which are good, I don't think they've aged well but you can get that on the MGS collection, but I do feel MGS1 is the best to start with in terms of story and accessibility.. There's Ghost Babel on the GBC which is a solid game.

machomuu

Drops by occasionally
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
For some reason, I loved Peace Walker, but I cannot get into MGS1. I never popped in 2 or 3 yet.
Have you tried Twin Snakes yet?

Nah. I only have the MGS collection on PS2. mgs1, 2, 3.
Ah. Well if you ever get a chance you should try it, depending on the reasons you couldn't get into MGS1 you might like it (though if you didn't like the core gameplay then, you probably won'r like it in TS). Twin Snakes is probably one of the best remakes I've ever played.

D

Deleted_171835

Story-wise you should either start with Metal Gear (for the MSX, it's the first game in the series but the third chronologically), Metal Gear Solid (The Sequel to Metal Gear 1 and 2) or Metal Gear Solid 3: Snake Eater (The first game in the series chronologically).
Starting from Snake Eater isn't the best decision. You won't get all the little references throughout the game and you won't really care as much for the backstory regarding Revolver Ocelot. It's better to play the games in order of release.

Clarky

Don't you know who I think I am?
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
i would start with metal gear solid myself and then go in order if you want to enjoy the plot, give the msx metal gears a shot if you like but i wouldn't say they are essential, theres a document in metal gear solid that covers the stories of both the metal gears, including some changed details

machomuu

Drops by occasionally
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
^Whoops...wait, really? What's the third?
Starting from Snake Eater isn't the best decision. You won't get all the little references throughout the game and you won't really care as much for the backstory regarding Revolver Ocelot. It's better to play the games in order of release.
You may not, but one thing I've noticed is that (and this goes for anything, really) if one does watches or plays something from a certain point, yet finishes the entire series, the experience is entirely different when they notice the references from other installments. It's not particularly a bad feeling, but it's certainly a gratification that's different then the standard one, or rather, playing in the release order. It's more a matter of preference than anything else, which is why I simply listed it as one of several ways to start. Though, for the most part, I do agree with you.

Gahars

Bakayaro Banzai
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
Definitely pick up the recent HD re-release if you can. The version of Metal Gear Solid 3 it comes with includes both Metal Gear and Metal Gear 2 (if I remember correctly). You'll have four of the games after just one purchase; that's a pretty good start.

machomuu

Drops by occasionally
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
Definitely pick up the recent HD re-release if you can. The version of Metal Gear Solid 3 it comes with includes both Metal Gear and Metal Gear 2 (if I remember correctly). You'll have four of the games after just one purchase; that's a pretty good start.
Five games (if you don't get the Vita version), since you also get Peace Walker.

Gahars

Bakayaro Banzai
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
Five games (if you don't get the Vita version), since you also get Peace Walker.

Wow, I had completely forgotten about Peace Walker.

So yeah, 5 games bundled together for only $40 (going by Amazon.com). That's a tough bargain to argue with.

Site & Scene News

Popular threads in this forum

General chit-chat
Help Users
    Sicklyboy @ Sicklyboy: Can't wait for season 2