Looking to get a slot 2 companion for my CycloDS Evolution

Discussion in 'NDS - Flashcarts and Accessories' started by APurpleCow, Jun 30, 2008.

1. APurpleCow
    OP

Newcomer APurpleCow Member

United States
    For GBA goondess on the go (not sure where my GBA SP got off to) and since Team Cyclops is beginning to add in GBA support in the updates, I decided to get a slot two card. People have been suggesting the EZ Flash 3-in-1 quite a lot, but I don't know much about slot two cards so I decided to just make a topic to see what people said. What's the best slot two card to complement my CycloDS Evolution and where can I get it at? Is there anything I should keep in mind when I get my slot two card?

2. CorruptJon

Member CorruptJon :)

United States
    Get the 3-in-1. Plays most games in PSRAM, and those which are too big can be played in it's NOR memory.

http://www.dealextreme.com/details.dx/sku.2967

http://www.dealextreme.com/details.dx/sku.1894

Cons include it "sharing" the memory card from slot-1 and thus you have less space, and no Real Time Clock for games like Pokemon and such which will need to be patched to work correctly.

BUT, if you have money to burn, I recommend you get an M3 Perfect Lite

http://www.gameyeeeah.com/m3-perfect-lite-...pter-p-871.html

It has it's own slot for memory, (up to 2GB since it doesn't support SDHC) and has an integrated Real Time Clock

The only con is the price, which is where it costs about 4x more than the 3-in-1. But if you have the cash and want the best product available, go for it.

3. APurpleCow
    OP

United States
    I currently have a 4GB MicroSDHC with 1.5GB free. I don't think I'm going to fill up more than another .5GB, so that leaves 1GB for the 3in1. Is that enough?

What exactly does the M3 Perfect Lite do for me that the EZ Flash 3-in-1 and the CycloDS Evolution wouldn't be able to do? Normally I go for the best product, but at four times the price it's a little hard to justify...Thanks for your help so far.

4. Tikker

Member Tikker GBAtemp Advanced Fan

Canada
    the m3 lite perfect is a full on flash cart, rather than just a memory expansion like the ez flash 3-1

m3 lite will also play nds and gba roms/homebrew, and is probably the best overall card out there

if you just want to play the occasional gba game, or add ram support, the ez flash 3-1 is a fine card

5. Destructobot

Member Destructobot Crave the Hammer

United States
    It lets you store GBA games on a seperate memory card (up to 2GB max, no SDHC), it lets you run 32MB games from RAM instead of having to write them to NOR first (sounds like a big deal, but it's not; here's a complete list of all 32MB GBA games), and it has a clock so that your pokeymen will know what time it is.

Edit: I just remembered, the M3 Perfect lets you use real time saves in GBA games, and the 3-in-1 doesn't.

On the other hand, with the 3-in-1 you can just drag & drop the GBA roms the same way you can with DS games; the M3 Perfect does not offer this (it can play the games without patching, but it won't create save files automatically; you must either create them manually or use the M3 game manager).

6. APurpleCow
    OP

United States
    That's a very good thing, but it's still 400% the cost and I don't think that's enough to warrant a buy...Also, I think that Team Cyclops might be adding in a real time save feature for GBA games.

7. Destructobot

United States
    Real time saves will not be added to the 3-in-1, by Team Cyclops or anyone else. It simply doesn't have enough SRAM.

You should note that the M3 Lite is extremely hard to find right now. It has been out of stock everywhere I've looked for months. If you want an M3 Perfect right now you would probably have to go with the miniSD version.

I have a 3-in-1 and it has served me well. I recently purchased an Elink cart from DealExtreme because it is the only cheap GBA cart that offers real time saves. I figure that between the two of them I'm pretty much set, and I've still spent $30 less than the cost of the M3 Lite.

If you don't care too much about real time saves or a clock for the handful of games that use it, and you don't plan on playing through more than one 32MB game at a time, the 3-in-1 is a perfect choice.

8. APurpleCow
    OP

United States
    Thanks for all of your help. I'd probably go with the M3 if I didn't have a CycloDS, but since I do I'm just going to get an EZ Flash 3in1.

9. APurpleCow
    OP

United States
    Quick question. How long does normal shipping from Deal Extreme take? EMS shipping would double the price of the EZ Flash 3in1, so that doesn't sound like a good idea.

10. Spaceman016

Newcomer Spaceman016 Advanced Member

United States
    Im in AUS and i always order from DX
    So say if I place an order on a Friday it would take 1 week and then probably arrive on the Tue or Wed after.

1w 5 days including weekend, or around 12 days average.

I have never used EMS shipping and had no trouble at all.

I also have a Ezflash 3in1 and I love it. I think you will enjoy it too.

11. APurpleCow
    OP

United States
    Eh, that seems a bit long. This is the same thing, right?

http://www.realhotstuff.com/expansion-pack-p-194.html

I ordered my CycloDS Evolution from rhs and it took like two days to get here.

EDIT: Are there any programs I'm going to need to download in order to play GBA roms? I've heard about GBA Exploader and Rudolph's tools, but I have no idea what they do.

12. Spaceman016

Newcomer Spaceman016 Advanced Member

United States
    Yes it does come from hongkong and DX is free shipping though its up to you.

You will need GBAexploader .057 its really easy to use, and it is made by RUDOLPH
    Do not confuse the 3in1tool with GBAexploader, you only need GBAexploader
    This program just transferes your GBA games from your slot1 Cyclo DS to the ezflash3in1 slot 2 card.

You have the option to copy it to PSRAM(faster to copy too), up to 16mb but will have to reload it again after you turn off your DS
    OR copy to NOR Ram (bit slower to load a game too but no big deal), up to 32mb but you will not have to load it again if u turn off your DS

Hope this helps.

Oh and the link you provided is the ezflash3in1 YES for the NDS lite
    There is a GBA size one also on RealHotStuff for a NDS Phat make sure you order the right one :-).

13. Destructobot

United States
    You won't need any extra programs, though you can use GBA ExpLoader if you prefer it. Just make sure you have the current Evolution update and you can run GBA games on the 3-in-1 directly from the Evo's menu. It even does the SRAM patching automatically like GBA ExpLoader does.