Looking to get a new graphics card and would appreciate some advice

Discussion in 'Computer Hardware, Devices and Accessories' started by ILuvGames, Sep 25, 2013.

1. ILuvGames
    OP

ILuvGames GBAtemp Regular

Nov 13, 2011
    London
    Looking to buy an Asus 7970 Matrix Platinum now that they are at a more affordable price.

Will my Silverstone Strider ST60F-ES PSU be enough as it requires 2*8 pin and the Strider only has 1*8 and 1*6 pin or are molex adapters not advisable ?

If not, can someone recommend me another graphics card with similar performance and price that I can use ?

2. trumpet-205

trumpet-205 Embrace the darkness within

Jan 14, 2009
    United States
    What about your entire PC specification? Can't tell if we don't know CPU, HDD, fans, etc.

3. Originality

Originality Chibi-neko

Apr 21, 2008
    London, UK
    The graphics card will often provide an adaptor for power plugs. That is if course assuming that the power supply can provide enough wattage for the system.

4. ILuvGames
    OP

Nov 13, 2011
    London
    My CPU might be a bottleneck (Core2 Quad at 2.66 GHZ), 2x4 Gb GSkill Ripjaws, currently using a GTX 560ti DCII Top, Asus PG191 gaming monitor (1280x1024) but will be upgrading that next year. Will only be using one graphics card. Windows 7 Pro x64. 750gb Western Digital Black HD. Arctic Cooling Freezer 13 CPU cooler. Scythe fans. Chenbro Gaming Bomb 2 full ATX case.

Thanks for taking the time to give me some advice.

5. trumpet-205

Jan 14, 2009
    United States
    Okay, your PSU uses dual rail for +12V, with each rail rated at 32 A or 384 W. Unfortunately, CPU and GPU both make use the of same rail (+12V2), with motherboard and HDDs make use of another rail (+12V1). Meaning you only have 384 W left for both CPU and GPU. You can say this is a 400 W PSU in a sense.

You need a PSU upgrade before you can put in that 7970. Look for a single rail PSU, or dual rail PSU with CPU on different rail than GPU.

6. ILuvGames
    OP

Nov 13, 2011
    London
    Sorry, I made a mistake. My PSU is the ST60F-ES single rail 42A. A 7970 is okay to use according to the official GPU support list, but what about the 6-8 pin adapter ? Are they advisable to use (even if they supply one with the new card) ? If not, what other GPU would give me similar speeds for no more than £270 and have me not use an adapter ?

7. trumpet-205

Jan 14, 2009
    United States
    6 to 8 pin adapter can be used, provided wires are thick enough.

I'd probably buy such adapter from NZXT in the form of sleeved, at least knowing they are reputable company. I wouldn't trust adapter from ebay. Sometime GPU does come with such adapter, so check.

Side note: ASUS 7970 is 3 slot GPU, make sure you have the space for it.

ILuvGames likes this.
  8. Thanatos Telos

Thanatos Telos random stuff

Sep 13, 2009
    United States
    Asus's GPUs always come with adapter, seeing as I've bought from them since the HD 5000 series for AMD and the 400 series for nVidia. (Well, my dad did.)

ILuvGames likes this.
  9. ILuvGames
    OP

Nov 13, 2011
    London
    Thanks for the advice Originalty, Thanatos Telos and trumpet-205. I will buy an adapter from NZXT if one is not provided with the new GPU. No worries about space. I have a full tower case and three empty drive bays. My 560ti just reaches the edge of the drive bays without intruding into them so provided the new card is the same length (10.5 - 11 inches) or less, I am good to go. I am using a micro-atx motherboard so I have extra space between the GPU and the bottom of the case as well.