Looking to Buy a TV

Lanlan

OP
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
I need a TV. I've never bought one before. I have some requirements. They are as follows:
  • At least 20"
  • Composite video
  • Built-in speakers
  • Around $130 (give or take, if it's a good deal I'll likely spend more)
  • HDMI input
  • 1080p resolution
This is going to temporarily be for my brother's PC, but I wanna hook consoles up to it as well. I've been looking at the Samsung Syncmaster TVs for a few months now, but I plan on buying this within the next week. Any online store is fine. Here's one that looks okay, but I wanna know if I can do better. Thanks for your help!

FAST6191

Techromancer
Editorial Team
Trophies
XP
Country
United Kingdom
Does it have to have traditional TV functionality? I ask for although it changes from month to month and shop to shop it can still be worth losing the TV decoder (be it digital or old style) and get a monitor instead (many of which will feature all you wanted and more). By way of example the first link on Amazon- http://www.amazon.com/ViewSonic-VX2250WM-LED-21-5-Inch-Widescreen-Integrated/dp/B003HFCDLY/ . Granted it is not quite what you wanted (appears to lack component* and HDMI although it does have DVI) but if you can find a better actual TV you will probably be doing well.

*VGA boxes are pretty good these days.

Also I know it is something of a myth but aren't you staring down the barrel of Thanksgiving and that whole affair?

Lanlan

OP
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
I don't need a tuner. I said "TV" because I don't see many monitors with composite video and built-in speakers. Basically I need a device with a screen that has the above specifications.

xist

ΚΑΤΑ ΤΟΝ ΔΑΙΜΟΝΑ ΕΑΥΤΟΥ
Trophies
XP
Country
Well you'll also want Game Mode too if you're intending to hook it up to consoles. Most TV's have it, but the odd few don't and the last thing you want is Input Lag making it useless...

Lanlan

OP
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
What exactly is game mode? I've seen it on TVs but I figured it was for dumb people who didn't understand that consoles could be hooked up to any input.

xist

ΚΑΤΑ ΤΟΝ ΔΑΙΜΟΝΑ ΕΑΥΤΟΥ
Trophies
XP
Country
It stops all the added processing the TV does to the picture to make it look better - if you're playing games it can add extra lag to your inputs. Not much but it can totally throw off timings.

Lanlan

OP
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
Is it only on more recent TVs? And would this be on a monitor? I figured i just need a monitor with composite and speakers

xist

ΚΑΤΑ ΤΟΝ ΔΑΙΜΟΝΑ ΕΑΥΤΟΥ
Trophies
XP
Country
I'm nowhere near being a TV/Monitor expert...i just know that i've fiddled with two LCDs (one a Samsung and one a Sony) and only one had Game mode, which caused me to look it up.....The TV which had it was about 4 years old.

I wouldn't expect a monitor would have required it since it's just displaying a signal with the important stuff done elsewhere.

Site & Scene News

Popular threads in this forum

General chit-chat
Help Users
    SylverReZ @ SylverReZ: @Sicklyboy, Hey