Looking To Buy A New 3DS And Eventually A Gateway 3DS

Discussion in '3DS - Flashcards & Custom Firmwares' started by mechadylan, Aug 13, 2013.

1. mechadylan
    OP

mechadylan GBAtemp Advanced Fan

Aug 18, 2009
    United States
    All this talk of the GW3DS cart has left me genuinely curious about purchasing a new 3DS for myself. It harkens that moment in time just before the 27c3 when I purchased my first PS3 when they were all being shipped with OFW 3.40, but I digress. Pirating aside, it seems that the current 3DS hardware version that is being offered to the general populous is subject to "hacking," sans updating; again, I'm intrigued. It seems to me that the same exploit that makes the GW3DS work is probably going to be used in future applications.

So. The exploit is based on Nintendo 3DS's 4.5 firmware, yes? Anything below this renders a 3DS "exploitable," yes? It'd be good to know that a new purchase will coincide with these parameters.

tl;dr Should I buy a new 3DS? Should I buy a new 3DSXL? Are there special markings on the box that will guarantee said firmware?

Any advice will be greatly appreciated.

2. RenegadeKid

RenegadeKid GBAtemp Fan

Aug 11, 2013
    France
    Just make you sure it's written 2011 or 2012 on the box and it must be ok^^

mechadylan likes this.
  3. mechadylan
    OP

Aug 18, 2009
    United States
    Thanks. Does this apply to 3DS and 3DSXLs?

4. Anfroid

Anfroid GBAtemp Fan

Sep 30, 2011
    United States
    pretty much, just bought a red/black XL today with 2012 on the box and it came with 4.4,
    i just used my copy of shin megami tensei 4 to update it to 4.5

mechadylan likes this.
  5. RenegadeKid

RenegadeKid GBAtemp Fan

Aug 11, 2013
    France
    Yeah^^

mechadylan likes this.
  6. mechadylan
    OP

Aug 18, 2009
    United States
    Ok. One last question. When I get my hands on a 3DS/3DSXL on a FW below 4.5, which games can I use to bring it up exactly to 4.5?

7. redkeyboard

redkeyboard GBAtemp Advanced Fan

Jan 8, 2013
    United States
    Gateway works from 4.1-4.5. You can update the 3DS with a right rom loaded onto the Gateway

mechadylan likes this.
  8. Luigi2012SM64DS

Luigi2012SM64DS G-old member

Banned
    Aug 27, 2011
    Canada
    Minecrapt
  9. skarthebloodchild

skarthebloodchild Keep It Old School

Jan 13, 2004
    Greece
    Greece
    I think he should not...
    Only with an original game...
    What is the better to have 4.1 or 4.5? Or is it the same?

10. mechadylan
    OP

Aug 18, 2009
    United States
    Ahhh, I see. I didn't know that there was a "range" of firmwares that the GW3DS worked with. TY.

11. mechadylan
    OP

Aug 18, 2009
    United States
    Necrobump. I just bought a cosmo black 3DS with the 2012 date on it and it had 6.x.x-U. I don't recall the exact firmware right now because I furiously threw it back in the box and chucked it in the closet (I guess someone's getting a 3DS for Christmas from me this year.)

12. Anorhc

Anorhc GBAtemp Regular

Jan 20, 2008
    United States
    That's strange, because 6.x wasn't released until June 2013. Are you sure the box was never opened?

13. XiTaU

XiTaU GBAtemp Regular

May 15, 2008
    United States
    unit must have been used and repacked as there was no firmware above 4.5 released until 2013

14. XiTaU

XiTaU GBAtemp Regular

May 15, 2008
    United States
    oops double post

15. Pedeadstrian

Pedeadstrian GBAtemp's Official frill-necked lizard.

Oct 12, 2012
    United States
    Sandy Eggo
    Ouch... looks like it was subjected to the whole "Ha, you thought this was new" shtick. Assuming you did think it was new, and didn't specifically buy a used console only paying attention to the date on the box.

16. mechadylan
    OP

Aug 18, 2009
    United States
    Interesting, the hinge actually feels a lot looser than my kid's other 3DS which is over a year old.

17. Bonovox40

Bonovox40 GBAtemp Fan

Apr 2, 2003
    United States
    Where did you get it from? That does sound like a possible repack. I know from research that the black on black 3ds XL's are NEVER 2012 or earlier models.

I posted a bit ago about an upcoming strategy for Black Friday, to get a hackable 3ds XL from Target for their BF price of $149.00 (Either the Red/blue/pink models)

Or you can wait and try to brave the masses and pick one up on BF (or day before/Gray Thursday, whatever they call it) and chehope your local target still has old 2012 stock.
    I found one last week and got it priced matched to Amazon for $179.00. Then on BF, i'll get my credit card company to refund me the $30 difference, effectively getting me a $149 3ds xl, without going out on BF. :-)

I would take it back if possible, and state that this was a repackaged/used unit. Does the serial number on the 3ds match the box's serial number?

18. mechadylan
    OP

Aug 18, 2009
    United States
    Got it from Target and they took it back for a full refund, no questions asked. The lady opened it up to make sure all the parts were there and put it in the "put backs" cart. I was stunned. I took my cash and left.

19. Pedeadstrian

Pedeadstrian GBAtemp's Official frill-necked lizard.

Oct 12, 2012
    United States
    Sandy Eggo
    Yeah, Target seems to have a great return policy. I returned two things last week, and they didn't even ask questions. One of them was a pair of headphones, and I could have easily swapped them with broken ones and they wouldn't have been the wiser.

20. aireca

aireca GBAtemp Regular

May 25, 2009
    United States
    That's not a great return policy, that means they are repackaging stuff as if it is new, but is not :!: