Gaming Looking to buy a good RPG for my DS!

ArvinaLove

OP
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
Looking for an RPG that has items, upgradeable players, customization, fighting and all of the other classic shenanigans. I was looking at Summon Night: Twin Age, FF:A2 and Rune Factory: A Fantasy Harvest Moon. Any suggestions of other games and comments about the games I listed are welcome. Thanks!

Minox

Thanks for the fish
Former Staff
Trophies
XP
Country
Japan
B-U-Y...? o_0
Is that some new way of pirating?

Dungeon Explorer is the one RPG to DS I've enjoyed the most.

kreatosoupa

Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
Greece
xCuteBunnyx said:
Famous ones,
are Ninja Gaiden:Dragon Sword and The World Ends With You : )! Both Great games!

Ninja Gaiden is NOT an RPG, mate!
yaynds.gif

I've pumped about 20 hours in the JAP version of Summon Night: Twin Age, so it's highly recommended. English version is right around the corner (end of May I think?) FFTA2 is also a solid game if you can wait 'till late June for it.

xCuteBunnyx

Trophies
XP
Country
United States
kreatosoupa said:
xCuteBunnyx said:
Famous ones,
are Ninja Gaiden:Dragon Sword and The World Ends With You : )! Both Great games!

Ninja Gaiden is NOT an RPG, mate!
yaynds.gif

I've pumped about 20 hours in the JAP version of Summon Night: Twin Age, so it's highly recommended. English version is right around the corner (end of May I think?) FFTA2 is also a solid game if you can wait 'till late June for it.

Rofl, apparently its an Action-Adventure game o.O.....opps : )
wacko.gif

Ruri

Trophies
XP
Country
United States
ArvinaLove said:
Looking for an RPG that has items, upgradeable players, customization, fighting and all of the other classic shenanigans. I was looking at Summon Night: Twin Age, FF:A2 and Rune Factory: A Fantasy Harvest Moon. Any suggestions of other games and comments about the games I listed are welcome. Thanks!
Summon Night: Twin Age and FFT:A2 aren't in English yet, so unless you can read Japanese they're not options. Rune Factory isn't that great of an RPG (although it's a decent Harvest Moon game.)

Beyond that, it depends heavily on what you want. The World Ends With You is an original RPG with an action-based combat system; it has everything you asked for. Lots of equipment, pins (which grant 'spells' used to attack, sort of), food items that modify your stats, collectibles and so on.

If you like 3D dungeon crawls with turn based combat, Etrian Odyssey is fun.

I recommend against FFCC: RoF; it doesn't have any real customization (beyond 'buy the best armor' and 'armor with very small tweaks'.) Everyone uses the same eight spells, and you never learn any new spells or abilities at all. Ever. In single-player mode you get new people on your party, but once you've seen all four classes you've seen everything the game has to offer. It's more like Gauntlet -- fun for some quick and easy play with a group of people who wouldn't usually be into RPGs. I would never recommend FFCC:ROF for someone who just wants to buy a single-player RPG, though, particularly not if they like customization (it has basically none of that.)

ArvinaLove

OP
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
Ruri said:
ArvinaLove said:
Summon Night: Twin Age and FFT:A2 aren't in English yet, so unless you can read Japanese they're not options. Rune Factory isn't that great of an RPG (although it's a decent Harvest Moon game.)

Beyond that, it depends heavily on what you want. The World Ends With You is an original RPG with an action-based combat system; it has everything you asked for. Lots of equipment, pins (which grant 'spells' used to attack, sort of), food items that modify your stats, collectibles and so on.

If you like 3D dungeon crawls with turn based combat, Etrian Odyssey is fun.

I recommend against FFCC: RoF; it doesn't have any real customization (beyond 'buy the best armor' and 'armor with very small tweaks'.) Everyone uses the same eight spells, and you never learn any new spells or abilities at all. Ever. In single-player mode you get new people on your party, but once you've seen all four classes you've seen everything the game has to offer. It's more like Gauntlet -- fun for some quick and easy play with a group of people who wouldn't usually be into RPGs. I would never recommend FFCC:ROF for someone who just wants to buy a single-player RPG, though, particularly not if they like customization (it has basically none of that.)
thanks so much for your great and detailed reply! i am definitely gonna get FF:A2 but for now i will buy The World Ends With You. Thanks so much
biggrin.gif

Moots

The Incredible Sulk
Trophies
Website
Visit site
XP
Country
Canada
Ughhh world ends with you gets alot of love because it looks different (Read its set in japan and is somewhat emoish i suppose so all of the japan culture fanbois are all up on it). Im a classic RPG fan and i couldnt stand the game after an hour or two and I tried. Summon Nights is out in english in a few days wait for it. Look at my release thread for summer games. A bunch of good rpgs coming out. If your a classic rpg fan TWEWY might not be for you.

TWEWY just seems good cause the rpg market has been dry as of late in english games. Its not a game worth buying if you've never tried it. Its an acquired taste. Battle is shallow. Alot of spamming of the same attack over and over and over and tedious. And theres a good chance you might not like it ( not because its bad so to speak but because there is differences from your classic rpgs) I just couldnt dig it, story was meh (Im an avid reader so story in games needs to be solid or I lose interest)

Etrian Oddessy 2, Final Fantasy 4, Summon Nights, Dragon Quest 4, Final Fantasy tactics advance 2, megaman star force 2, Gauntlet, Izuna 2, are all out over the next 3 months. If your spending money save it and buy one of these. SUmmon Nights i think is out in the next 2 weeks.

cutterjohn

Trophies
XP
Country
United States
Etrian Odyssey is my favorite NDS RPG, and from what I hear EO2 will be just as good or maybe better.

So, I'd say get both, but unfortunately Atlus apparently doesn't have many carts made in their production runs and EO1 is, according to the official forums, difficult to find with no mark downs/bargain binning. i.e. I'd just grab EO2 and look for EO1 later if you like 2.

Note: EOs are more like traditional dungeon crawlers which play very similarly to the old DOS Eye of the Beholder, The Bard's Tale, etc. games. 1st person view, one step which moves ones square, they make you draw in your own walls, etc. on the map(auto-map only highlights squares stepped on if activated) -> If you don't like the older games mentioned or the above "features" then don't buy the EOs.

Beyond that your party can have 5 characters with several different classes. Each class has a set of skills which as points are added to certain skills unlock other more advanced skills. There's a fairly wide variety of armor, weapons, and items but if you really want to play dress-up don't expect it here as the only things that you'll see change for various pieces of equipment will be changes in various stats.

Also, forgot to mention about classes is that several of the classes can be "promoted" to a, theoretically, more advanced class sort of like in Wizardry. In this case, though, the advanced classes don't seem to be worth it IMO, or at least in EO1 they didn't seem to be worth it. I'm entirely unsure whether this was changed for EO2 as it will no affect my decision to purchase it . (I will be playing it from a flash cart as I have absolutely no intention of carrying around 20 or so carts with me, or even 5.)

[EDIT]
Fighting (since it was specifically asked and I didn't directly address it): is turn based, just like the older games that I mentioned above. On the players turn he selects actions for all 5 characters one-at-a-time. Once the last char's action is entered the game runs through the actions in the order of relatives speeds of the char and the monsters/NPCs being fought. (Random encounters except for below, see FOEs)

Also be aware that EO has a little feature called "FOEs" (it's an acronym for something too, but I don't recall it offhand), anyways FOEs are PUMPed up monsters that WILL likely be difficult for the character to beat. e.g. the first ones encountered in EO1 seem to be unavoidable while the second set were avoidable if you could figure out the "trick". A clue was sort of given by the second set of FOEs as they could wipe out a party in short order at the level that the party encountered them while it was possible to defeat the first set of FOEs at the likely level encountered, but still chancey dependent upon what happened during the battle. (The second set of FOEs could pretty much one-hit kill party chars when I encountered them.) FOEs CAN be SEEN on your map and in the player view when close enough and are always there until removed. FOEs can also move around the map, but usually try to home in on the player party in some fashion. (Free hint watch how they move in relation to your party and see if you could maybe avoid some of them when necessary...)

Manual: Pretty much sucks IMO as it doesn't really give much detail on game mechanics or those ever so fun FOE monsters...
[/EDIT]

Autilian

Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
Probally one of my favortie RPG's on the Ds was Luminous Arc . It is just aother FFTactics Game But i found had a compeling story good characters and good voice acting which made me play it till the end.

Moots

The Incredible Sulk
Trophies
Website
Visit site
XP
Country
Canada
TWEWY doesn't have enough of a classic rpg feel for me, different is good dont get me wrong just not for me. However give me 3 good reasons its the best DS RPG, cause there are tons of pins? Clothes? Food? You have to use both screens when fighting? Meh. Oh and story.....for a guy who reads several books a week it bored me to hell.

Final Fantasy III is still my fav on the DS.

ojsinnerz.

Damned
Trophies
Website
Visit site
XP
Country
Canada
I personally love both Etrian odessey, and TWEWY.

The TWEWY tries to be unique, and it succeeds. It's fun, decent story, and good twists. It really isn't your average RPG however, but it can be very enjoying.

Etrian odessey is older styled RPG, but it's pretty challenging game. It's fun, hard, and everything you do depends on your charater customization. I enjoy it alot, but having qutie a few difficulties with it, seeing I didn't choose the right stuff....

Summon Night: Twin age. It's another summon night game, but different from the GBA games. It's somewhat like Zelda PH, because you only use your Stylus. However, I didn't play it long enough to say if it's better than the GBA ones or not.

Minox_IX said:
B-U-Y...? o_0
Is that some new way of pirating?

Dungeon Explorer is the one RPG to DS I've enjoyed the most.

I think it's some sort of appreciation dance while the files are being downloaded.

Ruri

Trophies
XP
Country
United States
cutterjohn said:
Also, forgot to mention about classes is that several of the classes can be "promoted" to a, theoretically, more advanced class sort of like in Wizardry. In this case, though, the advanced classes don't seem to be worth it IMO, or at least in EO1 they didn't seem to be worth it. I'm entirely unsure whether this was changed for EO2 as it will no affect my decision to purchase it . (I will be playing it from a flash cart as I have absolutely no intention of carrying around 20 or so carts with me, or even 5.)
They're not exactly promotions, you just get access to the new class.

And Ronin are totally worth it, though it's a bit of a bother to level them up (they start at level 1 and you get them late). But they're easily the damaging class in the game -- a maxed-out Midareba can take out FOEs real fast long before you could fight them without it. You really need to have a Troubadour with max Relaxing or they'll burn through their TP too fast to be useful, though. (Also, max out your Ronin's TP up; Relaxing recovery rate is percentage-based.)

Hexers I never really tried... you just get them so late in the game, and you've probably already ditched your weakest party member to make room for a Ronin. But it's worth pointing out that bindings are very, very useful against bosses... I think I'd just rather have my bindings come from fighter-types who can attack at the same time.

Joujoudoll

Trophies
Website
Visit site
XP
Country
I thought Rune Factory was really fun... I played the game to the very end. But some people might not like that game. I also like Final Fantasy Chronicles: Ring of Fates.

There is another game that isn't really an RPG, but it's really fun... To me anyway, some don't like it, but on Amazon.com it has 4 stars. It's called Trace Memory.

Site & Scene News

Popular threads in this forum

General chit-chat
Help Users
    Psionic Roshambo @ Psionic Roshambo: Lol