Looking to build a new computer

Discussion in 'Computer Games and General Discussion' started by DSGamer64, Aug 4, 2008.

1. DSGamer64
    OP

DSGamer64 Canadian, Eh?

Nov 9, 2007
    Canada
    A cold cold place
    Here is what I require:

Must be capable of running Hackintosh
    Must be dual core
    Good motherboard that won't have to be upgraded for a couple of years but won't cost an arm and a leg, must have Nvidia chipset support
    Graphics card capable of running Crysis at medium settings
    Case that isn't too big.
    Monitor

Hard drive is covered, I have an ATI RX600 PCIe graphics card if I wind up stretching my budget of 600 CAD so at least I will be able to play WoW on it. I know Asus makes the best motherboards but I don't know what to look for, I was thinking of getting an Intel Core 2 Duo E8400 3.0 Ghz because it seems like the best bang for my buck compared to other dual core CPU's. Not sure about the RAM though, I am looking for a pair of 2GB RAM sticks for 4GB's so that way I can just add 4 more later on. There are a lot of brands out there but I know Crucial and Corsair are two of the best, I want something that will be good for overclocking as well.

2. stormwolf18

stormwolf18 GBAtemp Fan

Nov 25, 2006
    Canada
    The E8400 is an excellent choice. Quad cores arent really useful yet.

Get mobo with P35 chipset, such as the MSI P35 Neo-F

Heres a really good deal on ram : http://www.canadacomputers.com/index.php?d...cid=RAM.346.307

case and monitor, well its up to you. A geforce 8800GT should be more then enough for your need, unless you can afford the new ati 4870 or something but i would wait. Your psu should be at least 300watts.

3. DSGamer64
    OP

DSGamer64 Canadian, Eh?

Nov 9, 2007
    Canada
    A cold cold place
    I was thinking about the 8800GT if I can get one for a good price, dunno what a good gaming monitor is but nothing bigger then 19 inches would be fine. A case that cools well is important, so I was thinking an aluminum one.

4. SavageWaffle

SavageWaffle GBAtemp Maniac

Jan 13, 2008
    United States
    New York
  5. DSGamer64
    OP

DSGamer64 Canadian, Eh?

Nov 9, 2007
    Canada
    A cold cold place
    I know all about Hackintosh, but I want to know what are good parts that will be compatible with it.

I already have a 200 GB Maxtor internal hard drive, need a sound card, video card, RAM and motherboard. I am not worried about Windows hardware compatibility, but more about running OSX on a non Apple machine. I don't really want to spend more then 700 dollars on a build.

6. SavageWaffle

SavageWaffle GBAtemp Maniac

Jan 13, 2008
    United States
    New York
    Just click on the link, there are items..

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.
    Dismiss Notice