Looking to build a high-mid low-high PC in a few months.

Discussion in 'Computer Games and General Discussion' started by Trulen, Aug 30, 2009.

1. Trulen
    OP

Member Trulen GBAtemp Fan

United States
    Alrighty. I was battling with myself on whether or not I should get a 360 to compliment my PS3.
    Even after arguing with myself, I couldn't win.

I'd decided I'd build a PC that doesn't suck. Every PC I've owned has been entirely integrated. Graphics card, and then they kinda sucked. I could never enjoy games.

I began thinking more. If I build a decent PC, I would maybe need to upgrade every 5 or so years if I want to stay ON THE EEEDDGGEEE.
    But that's not the case. I don't need top end. I'd really only want high-middle or, low-high. Maybe later down the road if I evolve into a hardcore PC gamer that lives in my parent's nonexistent basement, I'll get top end stuff and nerd out.

I've done some basic research, and asked around. I'm looking to spend no more than 700 US dollars, with fifteen dollars of play, and I've browsed newegg.
    I've come up with this list, Ker-click..

Now, mind you, I'll be building a PC months from now, when I have the money. This is just a mock-up list with my spending limit. After mail-in rebates, It'll be about 685.

Since I'm budgeting, I'm going for the AMD/ATI combo. I'm doing Quad-Core with AM3 for future-proofing. The case is large and ventilated, so I can Overclock it with good air flow, which will lessen my need of getting another processor.

Also, I made sure that I had a good power supply. Plenty of juice for future upgrades, and made sure it was a good one because I heard that the power supplies are the first thing to go, if you use an included or generic one.

I'm just wanting to know if I did anything wrong in this setup. That everything is compatible and such.

PS: Don't need a monitor. I've got a 32" TV that I plan to hook up via HDMI.

2. Jiggah

Member Jiggah GBAtemp Maniac

United States
    The vid card is AGP while the motherboard is PCI-e. Also, that card is already considered out of date.

For $10 more, you could get something that at least meets mid to low end of newer games.

http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx...N82E16814121253

That's just an example, there are others out there just keep looking. With Windows 7 and DX11 around the corner, there will be newer cards on the market and the current ones will price drop significantly when you start building your computer.

3. Joe88

Member Joe88 [λ]

United States
  4. Trulen
    OP

United States
    Thanks guys. This is the exact responses I needed [:

Also, is there a forum dedicated to this kind of stuff?
    Where the forum folks don't mind a massive influx of questions?

I just need some help understanding the nit-pickies of why this is better than that.

5. Joe88

Member Joe88 [λ]

United States
  6. Cermage

Member Cermage GBAtemp Advanced Maniac

Australia
    just letting you know. 700 us is practically a highend comp these days. just the amd/ati combo though.

Here's a quickie i just did up.

Antec 300 - $59.95
    GIGABYTE GA-MA770-UD3 - $74.99
    GIGABYTE GV-R485MC-1GI Radeon HD 4850 1GB - $129.99
    CORSAIR CMPSU-650TX 650W ATX12V - $99.99
    AMD Phenom II X4 945 Deneb 3.0GHz - $169.99
    OCZ Reaper HPC 4GB (2 x 2GB) - $67.99
    Western Digital Caviar Blue WD5000AAKS 500GB - $56.99
    LG DVD Burner Black SATA Model GH22NS50 - $31.99

total - $691.88

i would have done a newegg wishlist but i don't have an account, nor do i need one [​IMG].

7. Trulen
    OP

United States
    What? $700 is a high end?
    I thought that's reserved for the $1200+ boys.

Also, I did see reccomendations for newegg's site. I do believe I'll pester the mess out of them for the next few months.

Also, I'm going to wait until Direct X 11 comes out. That way, cards supporting Direct X 10 will take a nice dip down.

More bang for buck, and will be nice because I don't need to be on the edge.

Thanks though guys. You're all a fabulous help!

PS:
    I've got an 5-year old cheapy $20 optical mouse.

Now,
    What's a laser mouse?

Keyboards and mouses costing 50 bucks each!

8. Sephi

Member Sephi fool

United States
  9. Cermage

Member Cermage GBAtemp Advanced Maniac

Australia
    well if you use the build i just recommended you could swap out the 4850 and pop in a 4890 for an extra $70-80. thats practically a high end build. you're just skimping out on the case and using an old but extremely reilable motherboard.

10. themuddaload

Member themuddaload Creepin' hardcore.

United States
    a laser mouse is quite the same as an optical mouse, it just uses a laser instead of, well more normalish light.

i have an invisible optical mouse, and i like it alot, works fine for games and such, and you dont have the annoying blinky red light all the time...

http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx...N82E16826104192

11. Lodis

Member Lodis GBAtemp Regular

United States

http://forum.desktopreview.com/

12. Trulen
    OP

United States
    Hi guys. Was looking through my created topics after I've learned a monumental amount more about computer hardware. I looked at my list and facepalmed. A HD 3850?! Oh how unlearned I was.

I built my computer actually a week after that. And met my $700 price range.

Nvidia 9800 GTX+
    Intel Core 2 Duo 2.93 GHz
    2 GB DDR3 RAM
    1 TB 7200RPM HDD Seagate
    OCZ 650W Power supply
    GIGABYTE GA-EP45T-UD3LR Motherboard
    A DVD burner
    A 64-in-1 Card Reader
    And a Cooler Master Nvidia Edition case.

I can't tell you how much I love this thing. You may scoff at that 2GB of ram... But I'm the one playin' Crysis on High. Very high gives too many frame dips.
    Everything else? Essentially dog-food for this computer. I was playin' Battlefield Bad Company 2 on max settings.

Though, I DO play at 1366x768 resolution. Large factor, but I use a 720P TV as a monitor. Everything still looks absolutely gorgeous.

I can't tell you all the joy I have going into video options and clicking, "high, high, very high, 8x AA."
    After 7 months, it doesn't get old.

I've even added a Wireless N PCI card for wifi. That was a treat!

13. Master_B

Member Master_B GBAtemp Regular

Netherlands
    i would go for this motherboard instead:
    Code:
    http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16813128416&Tpk=GA-790XTA-UD4
    i was also compyling a pc and had the motherboard you chose, but the gigabite motherboard has some advantages, for instance usb 3.0 support.

i have used the following websites for chosing a processor:
    Code:
    http://www.tomshardware.com/reviews/best-gaming-cpu,2545.html
    and for videocard:
    Code:
    http://www.tomshardware.com/charts/gaming-graphics-cards-charts-2009-high-quality-update-3/3DMark06-v1.1.0-3DMark-Score,1697.html

14. misteromar

Member misteromar GBAtemp Regular

Australia
    Not to rain on your parade but you could have done a lot better.
    ATI card for same price but better performance.
    A qaud core AMD phenmom
    4 gb of RAM
    WD cavair black instead of seagate

15. Psyfira

Member Psyfira Credit: 0ml. Insert tea to continue

United Kingdom
    Don't forget he built it 6 months ago, the prices have probably changed a bit since then [​IMG]

16. Originality

Member Originality Chibi-neko

United Kingdom
    Not just the prices, but the entire market. These days it's all Core i3/5/7 and ATI HD58xx. I'm still looking forward to seeing Nvidia enter the DX11 market... they've been lagging behind for too long now.