Looking for US Comedy films that are actually funny

WiiCube_2013

OP
Trophies
XP
Country
Gaza Strip
Recently I've put myself through the pain of watching Grown Ups 2 and Paul Blart: Mall Cop hoping they would be comedic considering they were Adam Sandler productions but no.. Neither made me laugh but I do admit I chuckled once for both "films".

So anyway, if any of you could leave some recommendations of quality comedy films that'd be great.

This just made me so depressed. *ugh*

Reactions: XDel

DaggerV

Archmagi of the Emerald Moon
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
What you are looking for are some classic Chris Farley and Bill Murray.

However before those, watching Blazing Saddle.

Gahars

Bakayaro Banzai
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
Recently I've put myself through the pain of watching Grown Ups 2 and Paul Blart: Mall Cop hoping they would be comedic considering they were Adam Sandler productions

You brought this pain upon yourself.

I'll just go by directors/writers/producers/actors/creators...
-Mel Brooks (Blazing Saddles, The Producers, Spaceballs, Young Frankenstein, History of the World Part 1)
-Judd Apatow (Anchorman 1+2, The 40 Year Old Virgin, Superbad, Step Brothers, Talledega Nights, Walk Hard: The Dewey Cox Story)
-Derrick Comedy (Mystery Team)
-Seth Rogen (This Is The End)
-ZAZ (Airplane, The Naked Gun 1-3
-Mike Myers (Wayne's World, Austin Powers 1-3)
-Tommy Wiseau (The Room)

It's not a definitive list or anything, but you're sure to find something you'll enjoy in that list.

XDel

Author of Alien Breed: Projekt Odamex
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
A few...

Airplane
Blazing Saddles
Kung-Pow
Top Secret
Naked Gun (trilogy)
Amazon Women on the Moon

Hear No Evil See No Evil
Stir Crazy

Being There
Harold and Maude
Napoleon Dynomite
Bronco Gentlemen

Dead Men Don't Wear Plaid
The Jerk
L.A. Story
Going Berzerk
Dr.Detroit
Dragnet
Billy Madison
Neighbors

God Bless America
I Heart Huckabees
Rubber

George Carlin
Bill Cosbey
Doug Stanbope
Lois C.K.
Maria Bamford
Zach Galifinakas

Marx Brothers: Duck Soup/A Night at the Opera
Charlie Chapin: The Kid, Modern Times, The Great Dictator (well he lived in America anyhow)

Tom Bombadildo

Dick, With Balls
Trophies
Website
POCKET.LIKEITS
XP
Country
United States
+ a billion to Blazing Saddles, shit is funny.

It's sort of difficult to just list movies someone thinks are funny though, no one has the same sense of humor...

But here's some that I enjoyed fairly well:
All the Marx Brothers films. They're comedy movies from the 30s/40s, but they're absolutely hilarious.
Tommy Boy
Caddy Shack
Ace Ventura movies
Blues Brothers
Young Frakenstein
Office Space
The Three Amigos
Airplane
The Big Lebowski
Stripes

And that's all I got off the top of my head that I liked.

Terenigma

Terenigma everywhere
Trophies
XP
Country
- Mystery science theater 3000: the movie
- Liar Liar
- Ace ventura: When nature calls
- Hot shots: Part deux
- Borat

Didnt wanna give you a massive list so i just listed my top 5 in the order of how much they made me laugh. On a whole tho, pretty much ANY Jim Carrey film thats a comedy is worth watching.

Reactions: EZ-Megaman

Gahars

Bakayaro Banzai
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
Also, sneaking in to recommend The Princess Bride, because seriously, it's The Princess Bride.

Looking over the other posts here made me realize how much I missed the first time around, so I'm going to try to add a little more.

There's like a million Steve Martin films I left out (The Jerk, Dirty Rotten Scoundrels, Planes, Trains, and Automobiles). Little Shop of Horrors is pretty funny as far as musicals go, and features Steve Martin singing to boot. The Mask is pretty much a 90's classic (amazing considering how different it is from the comics, which are super gory comic-horror stories). Office Space, The Big Lebowski, pretty much everything on Tom's list is good as gold, too.

The point is, there's enough to go around.

Foxi4

Endless Trash
Global Moderator
Trophies
XP
Country
Poland
Consider "National Lampoon's Vacation", "European Vacation" and "Christmas Vacation"... just don't watch further sequels. :P

And then there's "Naked Gun", "Hot Shots!", "Police Academy" (Watch out! Later sequels are try-hards!), "Airplane!", "Leathal Weapon" - plenty fancy movies.

calmwaters

Cat's best friend
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
Funny how no one's mentioned Weekend at Bernie's. Death to Smoochy? And don't forget the Woody Allen films: Sleeper is the only one that comes to mind right now. Me, Myself, and Irene, Rush Hour (and 2; definitely not 3), Dumb and Dumber. Speaking of which, I found a copy of Blazing Saddles; was just too lazy to get it, but I think I will now. Oh, and George of the Jungle, if you don't mind watching a *cough*Disney film*wheeze*.

calmwaters

Cat's best friend
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
I know but I always say to myself "it can't be that bad" but it always is. I've got to give up on expecting Sandler to produce quality films.

Have you tried Big Daddy or Jersey Girl? They were pretty good, I thought. 50 First Dates is pretty good; I'm not sure it can be listed as a comedy, though. And before I forget, My Super Ex-Girlfriend.

WiiCube_2013

OP
Trophies
XP
Country
Gaza Strip
Have you tried Big Daddy or Jersey Girl? They were pretty good, I thought. 50 First Dates is pretty good; I'm not sure it can be listed as a comedy, though. And before I forget, My Super Ex-Girlfriend.

I've seen all those films that you've listed and imo they were quite good. I don't get why people hated Jersey Girl with Ben Affleck yeah at the beginning he wasn't a very good father but then he turned the tables around.

But anywho, I'm gonna give Blazing Saddles a watch tomorrow. Superbad felt like Project X but with a plot to it.

Foxi4

Endless Trash
Global Moderator
Trophies
XP
Country
Poland
I know but I always say to myself "it can't be that bad" but it always is. I've got to give up on expecting Sandler to produce quality films.
Well... there's "Happy Gilmore", I suppose. And "Billy Madison"... But that's about it with Sandler, then it's not even considered downhill - it's a plunge down the Great Canyon according to critics. :tpi:

FAST6191

Techromancer
Editorial Team
Trophies
XP
Country
United Kingdom
Heh, it seems I do not like Judd Apatow as every one of those films that Gahars lists do little and less for me; I probably should pay attention to directors more often. That said from the list other than Leslie Nielsen and Mel Brooks a lot of that comes with a large series of asterisks, give or take Wayne's World I would be happy enough to never see any of those again and I would take active measures to never see Superbad or Napoleon Dynamite again.

As for American comedy, they seem to still do black comedy quite consistently well which is good as so few others manage it. http://www.imdb.com/title/tt1268987/ joining my surprisingly enjoyable b movies list as a good example. http://www.imdb.com/title/tt1935902/ is another. http://www.imdb.com/title/tt0938305/ would be one more. http://www.imdb.com/title/tt0120609/ because it is probably one of my favourite films and I wanted a slightly older one on this list.

http://www.imdb.com/title/tt1830713/ and http://www.imdb.com/title/tt1094294/
You also get a lot of that sort of thing, I approve of that sort of thing.

Likewise if ever you start to think American comedy has nothing to offer then

All that said I would never send someone into American comedy without a guided tour. You can do it spectacularly but damned if I would go in cold.

Alternatively this may say more about my general outlook on life.

Site & Scene News

Popular threads in this forum

General chit-chat
Help Users
  • No one is chatting at the moment.
    NinStar @ NinStar: It will actually make it worse