Looking for US Comedy films that are actually funny

Discussion in 'Books, Music, TV & Movies' started by WiiCube_2013, Feb 22, 2014.

1. WiiCube_2013
    OP

WiiCube_2013 GBAtemp Guru

Oct 19, 2013
    Gaza Strip
    Recently I've put myself through the pain of watching Grown Ups 2 and Paul Blart: Mall Cop hoping they would be comedic considering they were Adam Sandler productions but no.. Neither made me laugh but I do admit I chuckled once for both "films".

So anyway, if any of you could leave some recommendations of quality comedy films that'd be great.

This just made me so depressed. *ugh*

XDel likes this.

2. DaggerV

DaggerV Archmagi of the Emerald Moon

Dec 3, 2009
    United States
    What you are looking for are some classic Chris Farley and Bill Murray.

However before those, watching Blazing Saddle.

XDel likes this.
  3. Gahars

Gahars Bakayaro Banzai

Aug 5, 2011
    United States
    New Jersey

You brought this pain upon yourself.

I'll just go by directors/writers/producers/actors/creators...
    -Mel Brooks (Blazing Saddles, The Producers, Spaceballs, Young Frankenstein, History of the World Part 1)
    -Judd Apatow (Anchorman 1+2, The 40 Year Old Virgin, Superbad, Step Brothers, Talledega Nights, Walk Hard: The Dewey Cox Story)
    -Derrick Comedy (Mystery Team)
    -Seth Rogen (This Is The End)
    -ZAZ (Airplane, The Naked Gun 1-3
    -Mike Myers (Wayne's World, Austin Powers 1-3)
    -Tommy Wiseau (The Room)

It's not a definitive list or anything, but you're sure to find something you'll enjoy in that list.

BortzANATOR and gamefan5 like this.
  4. XDel

XDel Author of the Alien Breed Odamex Projekt.

Jul 25, 2012
    United States
    Solaris
    A few...

Airplane
    Blazing Saddles
    Kung-Pow
    Top Secret
    Naked Gun (trilogy)
    Amazon Women on the Moon

Hear No Evil See No Evil
    Stir Crazy

Being There
    Harold and Maude
    Napoleon Dynomite
    Bronco Gentlemen

Dead Men Don't Wear Plaid
    The Jerk
    L.A. Story
    Going Berzerk
    Dr.Detroit
    Dragnet
    Billy Madison
    Neighbors

God Bless America
    I Heart Huckabees
    Rubber

George Carlin
    Bill Cosbey
    Doug Stanbope
    Lois C.K.
    Maria Bamford
    Zach Galifinakas

Marx Brothers: Duck Soup/A Night at the Opera
    Charlie Chapin: The Kid, Modern Times, The Great Dictator (well he lived in America anyhow)

5. Tom Bombadildo

Tom Bombadildo Honk!

pip Contributor
    GBAtemp Patron
    Tom Bombadildo is a Patron of GBAtemp and is helping us stay independent!

Our Patreon
    Jul 11, 2009
    United States
    I forgot
    + a billion to Blazing Saddles, shit is funny.

It's sort of difficult to just list movies someone thinks are funny though, no one has the same sense of humor...

But here's some that I enjoyed fairly well:
    All the Marx Brothers films. They're comedy movies from the 30s/40s, but they're absolutely hilarious.
    Tommy Boy
    Caddy Shack
    Ace Ventura movies
    Blues Brothers
    Young Frakenstein
    Office Space
    The Three Amigos
    Airplane
    The Big Lebowski
    Stripes

And that's all I got off the top of my head that I liked.

6. GameWinner

GameWinner Take your heart

Jun 14, 2009
    United States
    Pro tip: Avoid Adam Sandler movies

7. Clarky

Clarky Don't you know who I think I am?

Oct 4, 2007
    United States
    Look up King Pin, great movie that never gets enough love

8. Terenigma

Terenigma Terenigma everywhere

Nov 10, 2008
    Earth
    - Mystery science theater 3000: the movie
    - Liar Liar
    - Ace ventura: When nature calls
    - Hot shots: Part deux
    - Borat

Didnt wanna give you a massive list so i just listed my top 5 in the order of how much they made me laugh. On a whole tho, pretty much ANY Jim Carrey film thats a comedy is worth watching.

EZ-Megaman likes this.
  9. WiiCube_2013
    OP

Oct 19, 2013
    Gaza Strip
    I'm gonna watch Superbad tonight as the trailer looked pretty cool and a great reason to get that Shitler crap out of me.

10. Gahars

Gahars Bakayaro Banzai

Aug 5, 2011
    United States
    New Jersey
    Also, sneaking in to recommend The Princess Bride, because seriously, it's The Princess Bride.

Looking over the other posts here made me realize how much I missed the first time around, so I'm going to try to add a little more.

There's like a million Steve Martin films I left out (The Jerk, Dirty Rotten Scoundrels, Planes, Trains, and Automobiles). Little Shop of Horrors is pretty funny as far as musicals go, and features Steve Martin singing to boot. The Mask is pretty much a 90's classic (amazing considering how different it is from the comics, which are super gory comic-horror stories). Office Space, The Big Lebowski, pretty much everything on Tom's list is good as gold, too.

The point is, there's enough to go around.

11. Foxi4

Foxi4 On the hunt...

pip Reporter
    Sep 13, 2009
    Poland
    Gaming Grotto
    Consider "National Lampoon's Vacation", "European Vacation" and "Christmas Vacation"... just don't watch further sequels. :P

And then there's "Naked Gun", "Hot Shots!", "Police Academy" (Watch out! Later sequels are try-hards!), "Airplane!", "Leathal Weapon" - plenty fancy movies.

12. GamerSince83

GamerSince83 West Coast Pimpin'

Banned
    Feb 15, 2014
    United States
    On The Wild Plains of the Interweb...
    Any and All of Mel Brooks is Pure Gold........"I'm Tired" from Blazing Saddles - One of the Greatest Songs ever ;)

13. TyBlood13

TyBlood13 Weeaboo Trash

Jul 1, 2012
    United States
    Kentucky
    THIS. The Blues Brothers is one of my favorites!

Patxinco likes this.
  14. calmwaters

calmwaters Cat's best friend

May 27, 2013
    United States
    happy land
    Funny how no one's mentioned Weekend at Bernie's. Death to Smoochy? And don't forget the Woody Allen films: Sleeper is the only one that comes to mind right now. Me, Myself, and Irene, Rush Hour (and 2; definitely not 3), Dumb and Dumber. Speaking of which, I found a copy of Blazing Saddles; was just too lazy to get it, but I think I will now. Oh, and George of the Jungle, if you don't mind watching a *cough*Disney film*wheeze*.

XDel likes this.
  15. WiiCube_2013
    OP

Oct 19, 2013
    Gaza Strip
    I know but I always say to myself "it can't be that bad" but it always is. I've got to give up on expecting Sandler to produce quality films.

16. calmwaters

calmwaters Cat's best friend

May 27, 2013
    United States
    happy land
    Have you tried Big Daddy or Jersey Girl? They were pretty good, I thought. 50 First Dates is pretty good; I'm not sure it can be listed as a comedy, though. And before I forget, My Super Ex-Girlfriend.

17. WiiCube_2013
    OP

Oct 19, 2013
    Gaza Strip
    I've seen all those films that you've listed and imo they were quite good. I don't get why people hated Jersey Girl with Ben Affleck yeah at the beginning he wasn't a very good father but then he turned the tables around.

But anywho, I'm gonna give Blazing Saddles a watch tomorrow. Superbad felt like Project X but with a plot to it.

18. TheCasketMan

TheCasketMan Keyblade Apprentice

Sep 3, 2011
    United States
    Orlando, FL
    Recent comedy movies that I had enjoyed recently are A Haunted House and Borat.

19. Foxi4

Foxi4 On the hunt...

pip Reporter
    Sep 13, 2009
    Poland
    Gaming Grotto
    Well... there's "Happy Gilmore", I suppose. And "Billy Madison"... But that's about it with Sandler, then it's not even considered downhill - it's a plunge down the Great Canyon according to critics. :tpi:

20. FAST6191

FAST6191 Techromancer

pip Reporter
    Nov 21, 2005
    Heh, it seems I do not like Judd Apatow as every one of those films that Gahars lists do little and less for me; I probably should pay attention to directors more often. That said from the list other than Leslie Nielsen and Mel Brooks a lot of that comes with a large series of asterisks, give or take Wayne's World I would be happy enough to never see any of those again and I would take active measures to never see Superbad or Napoleon Dynamite again.

As for American comedy, they seem to still do black comedy quite consistently well which is good as so few others manage it. http://www.imdb.com/title/tt1268987/ joining my surprisingly enjoyable b movies list as a good example. http://www.imdb.com/title/tt1935902/ is another. http://www.imdb.com/title/tt0938305/ would be one more. http://www.imdb.com/title/tt0120609/ because it is probably one of my favourite films and I wanted a slightly older one on this list.

http://www.imdb.com/title/tt1830713/ and http://www.imdb.com/title/tt1094294/
    You also get a lot of that sort of thing, I approve of that sort of thing.

Likewise if ever you start to think American comedy has nothing to offer then

All that said I would never send someone into American comedy without a guided tour. You can do it spectacularly but damned if I would go in cold.

Alternatively this may say more about my general outlook on life.