Hacking Looking for the best DSi option in 2018

treefroggy

OP
Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
So, I currently own a DS Lite, a DSi, and an Old 3DS.
I have a Cyclo DS Evolution for the DSlite, which I soon will be selling as a bundle, because I no longer need it and prefer the DSi for all NDS gaming. Others would disagree, but I have no need for the GBA support of DSlite because I have other options.
My old 3DS is running custom firmware, and I have the R4 gold pro that I use to mod 3DSes for friends. I've tested this cart in my DSi, and most games work fine. However, one game that I really want to play again is Tingle's Rosy Rupeeland, and I swear, it will not run on my R4 Gold Pro. I have tried multiple clean headerless ROMs. Not to mention, this R4 cartridge is used so often for boot9strap that I'd prefer to have another cartridge so I don't have to flash it back and forth all the time.
So here's my question. In the year of our lord 2018, what's the best DSi cartridge? I have done lots of research and in my humble opinion the modding scene is sleeping on DSi. As of now the only way to get DSiware games is on 3DS, which is fine for most people but I find the blurry graphics appalling and prefer the look and feel of the DSi. This digression aside I'm looking for the best Dsi card that has potential for future flashing of the DSi hardware, runs DSiware games, and has good DS game compatibility.
This has lead me to the Cyclo 3DS, but after searching, I see that everyone says it's no longer the best-- Which is a relief because it's expensive.
So what would you suggest?

treefroggy

OP
Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
Yeah those are the ones I'm seeing in older threads. I really do not need emulators as I play everything on original hardware. Wondering if it's capable of DSiware games and if it's generally more reliable than an R4.

MrCatFace

Trophies
XP
Country
Antarctica
Yeah those are the ones I'm seeing in older threads. I really do not need emulators as I play everything on original hardware. Wondering if it's capable of DSiware games and if it's generally more reliable than an R4.

Nothing can play DSiWare. Get the r4i gold 3ds plus (r4ids.cn). All flashcarts are just as reliable

MrCatFace

Trophies
XP
Country
Antarctica
My old Cyclo DS plays Tingle's Rosy Rupeeland, and my new R4 Gold 3DS Plus which I already own does not.

I misinterpreted what you said. The recommended flashcart should have little compatibility issues. The only case where I could see issues is with patched ROMs, but otherwise it should be fine.

Also you should be able to hold Start + Select while booting a DSiWare on 3DS to boot it without blur.

r1vver

Trophies
XP
Country
Russia
My old Cyclo DS plays Tingle's Rosy Rupeeland, and my new R4 Gold 3DS Plus which I already own does not.
It's easy to fix it. Update DSi to 1.4.5 and your Cyclo DS will not play not just Tingle's Rosy Rupeeland but any game. =)

treefroggy

OP
Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
It's easy to fix it. Update DSi to 1.4.5 and your Cyclo DS will not play not just Tingle's Rosy Rupeeland but any game. =)
Sorry, allow me to clarify for everyone:
My Cyclo DS Evolution has no problem playing ALL games, however it does not work on DSi, it only works on DS and DSlite. This is why I am looking for a new flash cart for my DSi.
Also, my DSi has japanese firmware and will not connect to wifi in the US, so I can't update it. This is one reason why I am looking to the future where it will be possible to flash DSi firmware.
The R4 Gold Pro 2017 that I own works fine on DSi, except it does not play Tingle's Rosy Rupeeland. Also I mainly use it as boot9strap for hacking 3Dses, so I was thinking of buying a second one, until I realized that Tingle does not work on it, so I am looking for another flash cart for my DSi. I also would like to be able to play DSiware games regardless of region on said DSi. Again, everyone seems to be sleeping on DSi since 3DS does everything DSi can, although very poorly.

Technicmaster0

Trophies
Website
www.flashkarten.tk
XP
Country
Gambia, The
Sorry, allow me to clarify for everyone:
My Cyclo DS Evolution has no problem playing ALL games, however it does not work on DSi, it only works on DS and DSlite. This is why I am looking for a new flash cart for my DSi.
Also, my DSi has japanese firmware and will not connect to wifi in the US, so I can't update it. This is one reason why I am looking to the future where it will be possible to flash DSi firmware.
The R4 Gold Pro 2017 that I own works fine on DSi, except it does not play Tingle's Rosy Rupeeland. Also I mainly use it as boot9strap for hacking 3Dses, so I was thinking of buying a second one, until I realized that Tingle does not work on it, so I am looking for another flash cart for my DSi. I also would like to be able to play DSiware games regardless of region on said DSi. Again, everyone seems to be sleeping on DSi since 3DS does everything DSi can, although very poorly.
There is no flashcard that supports DSiware and only one single one that supports DSi enhanced games: the cyclods ievolution. There have been very few proper DSi enhanced dumps back when it came out and even with the PROPER dumps from the last years only about 50% of the games are playable in DSi enhnanced mode. In addition to that the ievo doesn't work with the current DSi version and has no online support in DSi mode.
The R4i Gold 3DS Plus (r4ids.cn) seems to be the best card for you. It is compatible with about every DS game out there.

r1vver

Trophies
XP
Country
Russia

treefroggy

OP
Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
About Tingle's Rosy Rupeeland. Problem similar like here (two white screens)?

You need person both with both DSi and R4i Gold 3DS Plus or R4i Gold 3DS RTS to check it.

Btw, I'm also thinking to get DSi in few days, japanese one too. What is partly stops me from it right now - that's some games will turns to japanese:
Yeah I found other topics about it too and most guys just say to find a better file. So I guess I should try older firmware versions too?

Site & Scene News

Popular threads in this forum

General chit-chat
Help Users
  • No one is chatting at the moment.
    Maximumbeans @ Maximumbeans: butte