Looking for some advice regarding a 3ds I sold on ebay

SmellyPirateMonkey

OP
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
So here's the thing. I sold a 9.2 3ds on ebay and now the buyer wants a return. They say that the want a return because the preinstalled game wasnt on it because I formatted the system.

Thing is I offered to refund the price of the game but they declined. I'm starting to fear that they might have modded it, messed something up and are trying to return it to cover their own butt.

When I get it back should I run a data recovery software on the sd to see if they did indeed mod it? I dont want to be burned on this so I need advice on what I should do. If they messed something up I dont want to resell it again to someone else and screw them over.

Also if I do find something wrong with it how should I handle that? If I report them for a fraudulent return, will I have to deal with any cops or drama? (I have a thing against confrontation and authority)

Thanks to anyone for their time and for reading this.

Last edited by SmellyPirateMonkey,

skystealer

Muah~
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
It's been a couple weeks

And what is the return policy on your item? To own it for a couple of weeks and suddenly want to return it might seem a little suspicious but it's hard to tell whether they're doing it with good intention or not until you've got it back.

I'd try to ask the buyer for timestamped images of the system in its current state.

If its been a couple of weeks Tell them they are shit out of luck, If they really cared the preinstalled game wasn't on the system they would of returned it earlier I think

Kinda all the more reason to be a little suspicious they're complaining about something like that a little late, too.

Last edited by skystealer,

SmellyPirateMonkey

OP
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
If its been a couple of weeks Tell them they are shit out of luck, If they really cared the preinstalled game wasn't on the system they would of returned it earlier I think
I declined at first. I said I didn't do returns but they insisted on escalating claim to ebay. And they'll get it. Ive dealt with ebay many times with issues and they Always give the buyer their money back.

Shubshub

The Shubinator
Trophies
XP
Country
New Zealand
I declined at first. I said I didn't do returns but they insisted on escalating claim to ebay. And they'll get it. Ive dealt with ebay many times with issues and they Always give the buyer their money back.
Well I got nothin, tbh if the money isn't in your paypal anymore maybe delink your bank account from paypal =P (And then make a new paypal ^_^)

I don't know
I'd tell eBay they should of asked for a refund based on that claim earlier if it were to be valid

Reactions: SmellyPirateMonkey

Lucifer666

all the world needs is me
Trophies
XP
Country
United Kingdom
Also if I do find something wrong with it how should I handle that? If I report them for a fraudulent return, will I have to deal with any cops or drama? (I have a thing against confrontation and authority)

normally I'd say it shouldn't be too difficult but in this case it might be a bit awkward explaining to someone in a position of authority why it's imperative to have the system on fw 9.2 and not anything above..

Shubshub

The Shubinator
Trophies
XP
Country
New Zealand
normally I'd say it shouldn't be too difficult but in this case it might be a bit awkward explaining to someone in a position of authority why it's imperative to have the system on fw 9.2 and not anything above..
Well, Technically you could tell the Cops that they bought it knowing it was a hackable firmware updated it and returned it for that reason and claim you had no play in hacking it

(Also technically if its been updated you can just downgrade it anyway)

Muffins

Banned
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
In your auction, you stated no returns/refunds, correct?

And in that auction (and this is important)- you only mentioned the system and DID NOT mention the system having a preowned game with it, right?

If both of those things are true and the buyer is trying to return the system, then it is not a valid return and eBay's policies won't back them up.

nonamejohn

Trophies
XP
Country
United States
They can, and they will. I'm a seller on ebay , and they have outright refunded people without even contacting me !

crea

Trophies
XP
Country
Lesotho
Legally and with ebay, it does not matter if you put "no returns" in the description or not, that's besides the point.

If the Buyer has a legitimate base for a refund, they will most likely get it. Especially if the transaction was payed for with paypal (ebay takes a lot more liberties in case of paypal regarding "customer protection", leading to my own conclusion: always buy with paypal, never sell with paypal).

In this case the preinstalled software can be re-downloaded by the buyer. You should simply state that as a way to solve the issue and avoid any discussion about firmware.

Btw if the buyer really uses an exploit, why would he care so much about a preinstalled game?
Also I am curious, in this case is there a way to still download the game while staying on 9.2? I could imagine there is.

Site & Scene News

Popular threads in this forum

General chit-chat
Help Users
  • No one is chatting at the moment.
    SylverReZ @ SylverReZ: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=uLN9qrJ8ESs