Looking for smartphone advice

Discussion in 'General Off-Topic Chat' started by Skye07, Dec 29, 2011.

Dec 29, 2011
  1. Skye07
    OP

Member Skye07 GBAtemp Fan

Belgium
    So I'd like to buy a new phone, preferably a smartphone. The ones for my price range that are most interesting seem to be the HTC Wildfire S and Sony Ericsson Xperia Mini Pro (which is not the X10!).

I was wondering if anyone has one of these phones and could give some feedback as to how satisfied you are with it. Or do you know another phone that's about the same price range?

2. Veho

Global Moderator Veho The man who cried "Ni".

Croatia
    I used to want that phone but then I got an arrow to the but then my girlfriend got to use it for some software testing and she says it's fragile, creaky, slow, the screen is too low-res and grainy, with poor contrast and colors and bad visibility in daylight. I still kinda want it though :P

3. SifJar

Member SifJar Not a pirate

United Kingdom
    Some of the phones in the Samsung Galaxy range are reasonably cheap (for smartphones). For example, the Galaxy Mini is quite cheap now. I'm not really sure how much the Wildfire S and Xperia Pro Mini are, but I think the Galaxy Mini is cheaper. The Galaxy Ace may also be cheaper, it's a bit higher up the range than the Mini as well. I know the Samsung Galaxy range are generally accepted as pretty decent, I know plenty of people with phones from that range and they all seem to like them.

4. Psyfira

Member Psyfira Credit: 0ml. Insert tea to continue

United Kingdom
    I've got the Wildfire S and I really like it :) It doesn't sing, dance and make the tea compared to some other handsets but it does the job I need it to do at a price I like. And it's smaller than other smartphones so it's easier to fit in a pocket or a tiny bag.

If you are on a contract that gives you a free / discounted handset there might be some other better handsets in the same deal. But if you're buying the handset outright / SIM free or on PayG then it's a good contender (though I bought mine 6 months ago so I don't know what's come out since).

The only problem I've run into is running out of space in internal memory on the phone. One thing I didn't realise about Android phones was that even if you store all apps on the SD card, a certain amount of space in internal memory is also required for each one. The figures quoted by the manufacturers don't take into account the space taken up by the Android OS itself and pre-installed apps, so the actual amount of free internal space available for your apps is lower than you would expect. The Xperia Pro has only 320MB of internal memory to the Wildfire S' 512MB, and I've struggled a little with that recently (though a recent firmware update freed up 30MB out of nowhere :) ) so you might have some trouble if you go for anything lower. Things slow down as the memory runs low. This is a limitation of all budget handsets though, and you can still install and do plenty of things with these phones before running into that problem so don't let that put you off completely.

The Galaxy Mini is cheaper, but is a lower spec. handset so that's why it falls into a different price bracket and the screen resolution is pretty nasty on it as well. The Galaxy Ace is closer, actually a little more powerful than the Wildfire S but I don't know how much they cost now.

5. SifJar

Member SifJar Not a pirate

United Kingdom
    For the space issues, if you root, you can get rid of some of the preinstalled rubbish to help free up some space. Custom ROMs could also help free up space a lot.