Looking for rune factory 1 and 2 intro undub patch

Discussion in 'NDS - ROM Hacking and Translations' started by longxa762, Feb 16, 2014.

1. longxa762
    OP

longxa762 GBAtemp Regular

Jan 20, 2013
    I know undub patch are around but I can't find any patch that change the intro to japanese one, I tried a lot from different site and they all japanese voice but the intro is still in english. I found in this place there is a full undub one for rune factory 2 but the link is dead.

Can someone help me thank a lot.

If this is in the wrong section please move it to the right one.

2. GHANMI

GHANMI GBAtemp Advanced Fan

Jun 10, 2012
    How about you create an undub patch yourself?
    If you have both Japanese and English versions, plus the tool Tinke to modify DS rom contents, you can find the sound effects in both versions and try and replace them. You can this way end up with better results than you could ever expect from someone else (and learn something new in the process :) )

3. longxa762
    OP

Jan 20, 2013
    I never touch any ds tool that modify a rom so I don't know how it work.

4. GHANMI

Jun 10, 2012
    Download Tinke and try opening the roms with it.
    You'll figure it out eventually, it's fairly easy. Just extracting sound files from the JP version and using those to replace the sound files in the US version.

longxa762 likes this.
  5. longxa762
    OP

Jan 20, 2013
    I manage to replace the rune factory 1 intro, but in the RF2 I got black screen :(

In the first one there is a file called scr1_audio_stereo.vx that you can swap and get a japanese intro.

In the RF2 it don't have that file, there are 5 file that have big size
    sound_data.sdat
    rf2_ed_bottom.vx
    rf2_ed_top.vx
    RUNE2A_02.vx
    RUNE2B_02.vx

I tried to swap those end with .vx in but got black screen. Tried to swap the sound_data.sdat but it didn't change the intro.

6. GHANMI

Jun 10, 2012
    That's the spirit! ;)

About the second one, sometimes simply replacing the files doesn't work because they altered the file's structure for the localization (that's why Inazuma Eleven Strikers or Rent-A-Hero doesn't have an undub yet).
    I think it's odd swapping those vx files (I looked and they're actually simple "mods" files, meaning videos) didn't work for you.
    Maybe you should try again one by one to see where is the problem?

Usually, swapping the sdat file (the bank with all the sound effects) as a whole is what causes rom crashing issues.
    Speaking of which, you're actually lucky with the second game.
    Have you tried to open the sdat file? One folder contains swav files (sound samples), you can unpack, and see the sound files individually inside, then grab the ones from the JP version and put them in the US version, repack and save the SDAT file (to rebuild it).
    Try it for a nice surprise.

7. longxa762
    OP

Jan 20, 2013
    I can't see any file in the .sdat that contain title, just look again in the USA version there is a file called RUNE2A_02.mods above the 2 RUNE2A_02.vx and RUNE2B_02.vx which the JP version didn't have, I think this is why I got black screen when try to swap the file. Those file is below the title background so it must be the intro.

rf2_ed_bottom.vx
    rf2_ed_top.vx
    Those 2 file is the ending movie I think since it below the ending background, don't know if it will cause any error because I didn't play the game yet.