Looking for Inspiration and Opinions on my latest Unity Sonic Fan game!

Discussion in 'General Off-Topic Chat' started by Voxel, Sep 7, 2015.

1. Voxel
    OP

Voxel Fable Junkie

GBAtemp Patron
    Voxel is a Patron of GBAtemp and is helping us stay independent!

Our Patreon
    Jun 27, 2015
    United Kingdom
    England, UK
    I might not be good at homebrew coding, and I may not be good at console hacking. But one thing that I know I'm Definitely good at - is game developing!

Right now, I'm looking for inspiration on my latest untitled Sonic game, made using Unity 3D. It's a little confined for movement space at the moment, but it looks to be a growing project! Here's a video of it in action:

Currently, the following functions of the game are as follows:
    - Run in all directions and stop at will.
    - Jump.
    - Stomp.
    - Crouch.
    - Slide.
    - Rotate the camera without messing up any controls afterwards.
    - A rich collision system is also present!

There are still a few bugs here and there; I might not consider making the project open source anytime soon until I am certain everything's near-perfect.

But that's not all I'm gonna do! I want YOU to have a say this! Point me in some directions, give advice, suggest some features, suggest some improvements! Not many people give this opportunity, you know. ;)
    This could even live up to Blitz Sonic standards! :lol:

2. FAST6191

FAST6191 Techromancer

pip Reporter
    Nov 21, 2005
    "latest Unity Sonic Fan game"

If ever there was a phrase to inspire terror I imagine it would be that. Sonic fans, especially those to arise during the less than stellar 3d era, have not earned themselves the greatest position in the world of games. Fan game, much less one made in unity, is also somewhat with the "dismiss until someone says not in this case" world. It looks like the animations are placeholders, good placeholders but still placeholders, so I can not say much there, I will say though that some recovery animations rather than instant revert to form would make things far more eye pleasing if you want to demo this further.

The camera stuff gets interesting, mainly because I read http://dev.yuanworks.com/2013/03/09/little-ninja-dev-smart-camera-movement/ not that long ago (edit https://docs.google.com/document/d/1iNSQIyNpVGHeak6isbP6AHdHD50gs8MNXF1GCf08efg/pub?embedded=true is also good). That is more for 2d and it matters even more for 3d cameras, which have some subtle differences. You can design around a suspect camera system but I would imagine it is better not to have one in the first place. Someone once said Sonic is not about speed but about control, specifically momentum control, and I would be inclined to agree which could make the "stop at will" thing interesting. If you can pull a good 3d camera off then it will make up for a lot of other potential shortcomings. However I am not sure that camera style you showcased will work for Sonic, at least not as well as it does for other 3d games.

3. Voxel
    OP

Voxel Fable Junkie

GBAtemp Patron
    Voxel is a Patron of GBAtemp and is helping us stay independent!

Our Patreon
    Jun 27, 2015
    United Kingdom
    England, UK
    The camera view at the moment is, itself, a placeholder. I want to try to use more camera angles than the one I've showcased. Currently, I'm working on an SA2B-like Camera System, which will be pretty pleasing to the eye when I release my next video.