ROM Hack Looking for information on how to create a HANS romfs undub

Mauste

OP
Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
I would like to learn to patch english text to a Japanese game with HANS's romfs feature. However, after various searches, I still haven't found much information about this.
I would really appreciate if someone could point me in the right direction or list the things I need.

Note: I am interested in making the romfs file myself, if it wasn't clear. I already know how to use someone else's.

The Real Jdbye

*is birb*
Trophies
XP
Country
Norway
Replace the script files in the japanese romfs with the corresponding ones from the english version. They should have the same format and at the very least similar filenames so if you can figure out which files contain the script (maybe by looking at them with a hex editor and looking for text) it should be a simple matter to replace the files.

Mauste

OP
Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
Replace the script files in the japanese romfs with the corresponding ones from the english version. They should have the same format and at the very least similar filenames so if you can figure out which files contain the script (maybe by looking at them with a hex editor and looking for text) it should be a simple matter to replace the files.

Thanks for replying, this helped.

Santaros

Trophies
XP
Country
You won't find a whole lot around that isn't game specific, because there is no general way to do it, it varies massively from game to game and may well involve you having to deal with encryption for which there is little to no documentation, and editing pointers. This may be necessary to allow the text to fit as well as potentially needing to hack in a variable width font. I can give some general advice, MadEdit is a good hex editing program to use as it allows for Japanese Fonts [they use 2 bytes per characters, as opposed to 1 byte per letter for the Western Alphabet]. Just go to View -> Encoding -> SHIFT-JIS in the Menu to switch to it.

http://www.rikai.com/library/kanjitables/kanji_codes.sjis.shtml

This website will give you a list of the SHIFT-JIS characters and their equivalent hex value, so you can track down what your looking for. Giving further advice than that would be difficult without knowing specifically what it is your trying to work on. Only other pointer I can really give you at the moment is that if you get stuck you could try seeing if there is information available on other games in the series or by the same company, they may well use similar structures.

Btw the title is misleading, you are attempting to translate not undub, undub is replacing english voice acting with the [typically] japanese version.

You don't need to lookup 3DS specific guides if that is what you have been doing, that really only matters insofar as extracting/repacking romfs and 3DS specific file formats and compression. In terms of a general overview you can pretty much pick any console you please, the basic process is much the same.

Last edited by Santaros,

Site & Scene News

Popular threads in this forum

General chit-chat
Help Users
  • SylverReZ @ SylverReZ:
    @Maximumbeans, I'm doing alright, thanks.
    +1
  • Maximumbeans @ Maximumbeans:
    That must be rough. Productive I'm sure but hard to balance with daily life
    +1
  • SylverReZ @ SylverReZ:
    @Maximumbeans, Indeed. I've been working on getting this Infecutus chip to work on my PS2. But after soldering, I realised that a plastic piece was missing from the power ribbon cable to the power and eject buttons.
  • SylverReZ @ SylverReZ:
    Now I could go with soldering the contacts from the cable to the connector on the mobo, but doesn't sound like a good permanent solution.
    Man, that's beyond my brain :rofl: I'm no good with hardware for now. I'd like to get into hardmods in future though
  • SylverReZ @ SylverReZ:
    @Maximumbeans, Maybe start practice soldering. Get a cheap-ass soldering iron and follow some good YouTube tutorials.
    +1
  • SylverReZ @ SylverReZ:
    Least my experience has gotten better than over a decade ago. My iron would constantly bump into components and break them.
    Sounds good. I actually did soldering but like 16 years ago for school so uuuuh probably rusty haha
  • SylverReZ @ SylverReZ:
    @Maximumbeans, Same here. I did soldering at school from a teacher who I honestly liked since he had plenty of good electronics experience.
    +1
    I wish I could play chess well
    +1
    Useless but a true art
    +1
  • SylverReZ @ SylverReZ:
    @Maximumbeans, I had a friend who had a glass chess set for their birthday.
  • SylverReZ @ SylverReZ:
    It was like all clear and fancy. Tbf I'm not too experienced with chess, but would like to learn someday.
    That sounds really cool
    I know the basics but no strategy at all :rofl:
    +1
  • Veho @ Veho:
    Watch chess streamers on Twitch and you'll pick up a thing or two.
    +1
  • Veho @ Veho:
    Not to mention there's an infinite number of chess games for every possible platform.
    +1
  • DinohScene @ DinohScene:
    just play it, get beaten a few times and start dominating
    +1
  • K3Nv2 @ K3Nv2:
    Nude chess is best
    +1
  • DinohScene @ DinohScene:
    strip checkers > nude chess
    +1
  • K3Nv2 @ K3Nv2:
    Nude checkers get jumped
    +1
  • SylverReZ @ SylverReZ:
    @Veho, I guess you'd pick up something while watching tub streams.
  • SylverReZ @ SylverReZ:
    @K3Nv2, Dick fights. :tpi:
  • Veho @ Veho:
    Turkish olive oil wrestling.
    +1
    Veho @ Veho: Turkish olive oil wrestling. +1