Looking for good affordable headphones

Discussion in 'General Off-Topic Chat' started by Lucifer666, Dec 11, 2015.

1. Lucifer666
    OP

Lucifer666 all the world needs is me

Apr 22, 2011
    The Fourth Dimension
    I'm not an expert at this stuff

I don't care about wireless (in fact I'd prefer not charging my headphones), I don't care about in-line mics and though that's definitely a plus I prefer more quality within the same budget, I don't like earphones (the ones that go in) because my ears get dirty pretty quick. I'm looking for the over/around ear sort. I'm OK with the ones that are on-ear, so long as they don't cause headaches after hours of use due to pressing against the ear

I have a pair of Sennheiser HD201s which I was very happy with. I considered ordering them again. The problem is that they don't fold, and as a busy college student I put them into my heavy school bag quite a bit so they lasted a good year or so before breaking. The bass is a bit weak; that didn't bother me too much until I sometimes switched to my apple EarPods and realised how much I was missing out on. Also they're pretty ugly.

Basically all I need is
    • Over/around ear (on-ear is OK as long as it's not headache-inducing)
    • Good quality, actually audible bass
    • Foldable (OR just durable)
    • Wearing them in public isn't social suicide
    What do you guys suggest?

2. amoulton

amoulton GBAtemp Fan

Nov 18, 2014
    United States
    Franklin, Massachusetts
    Before I had real money to spend on headphones, I really loved Philips O'Neill 'The Stretch'. Durable with quite good bass response.

3. Attacker3

Attacker3 GBAtemp Regular

Mar 24, 2015
    Canada
    Underground, in my mother's basement.
    Nothing by Beats by Dr. Dre or anything of the like. I personally like the MDR-7506 from Sony. Good quality headphones that are used by professionals and are fairly cheap headphones wise.

4. Duo8

Duo8 I don't like video games

Jul 16, 2013
    Also look into the ATH M50 or Koss PortaPro

>Wearing them in public isn't social suicide
    Impossible unless it's IEM/earbud.

5. dekuleon

dekuleon GBAtemp Advanced Fan

GBAtemp Patron
    dekuleon is a Patron of GBAtemp and is helping us stay independent!

Our Patreon
    Oct 1, 2010
    Brazil
    where the wind makes the curve
    Koss KSC75 is amazing, and even more after you know it's price.

6. sarkwalvein

sarkwalvein Professional asshole at GBATemp

GBAtemp Patron
    sarkwalvein is a Patron of GBAtemp and is helping us stay independent!

Our Patreon
    Jun 29, 2007
    Germany
    Niedersachsen
    To be honest and this would sound weird, but I consider the MD827ZM Apple EarPods to be:
    • Very cheap / budget.
    • Very portable and actually good quality with audible bass.
    • Well, they don't need to be foldable, as they are actually earbuds, and they are not headache inducing.
    • I don't think they imply any kind of social suicide, but who knows.
    • They sound good and loud even with the crappy 3DS output.
    This one is cheap and affordable for real, the following ones are not exactly cheap but perhaps affordable:

Then, still portable, but with increased price, better sound quality and beautiful noise cancelling features I would recommend Bose QC15, they are nice specially in noisy situations, I haven't tested the new QC25, perhaps they are better or not.
    In home I like to use Sennheiser HD598, they are very comfortable but bleed sound like it is the right thing to do, I don't think they are good to use in public because of sound bleeding, and also they are not very portable.
    Also in home I use the wireless Sennheiser HDR180, they are NOT portable, they have great sound quality, they are very comfortable, and I love using them for extended time when playing videogames or using my computer, watching movies, whatever.
    Other headphone with good sound quality, acceptable portability and comfort, and (I think) stylish and usable in public as they don't bleed much sound, are the over the ear Sennheiser Momentum (I don't like them on ear), perhaps this are the one you are looking for, but they are not cheap (neither expensive as hell) headphones.

So, based on your budget, choose your destiny?

Last edited by sarkwalvein, Dec 12, 2015