Homebrew Looking for GenPlus GX forwarder which "forwards" to homebrew

PetMetroid

OP
Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
I am managing save files between two Wiis: one in the bedroom and one in the living room. I have all my emulators set up to save on the SD card and load ROMs from a USB. Both Wiis have USB drives with identically ROM directories, and I have an SD card I'm using like a GameCube memory card in which I have to put it in the Wii I'm playing on. I am doing this so I can play a game in any room while picking up where I left off saving. A better method to this would be using a network to save games, but I don't have a computer to leave running all the time, so that would be more work than it should be.
Anyway, I have forwarders on my living room Wii (FCE, SNES9, VBA, and Wii64) which rely on their homebrew path to load. This means they will not load unless my SD card (which the homebrew is located) is inserted. This also means it will load the emulator settings from the SD card, meaning I will have the same settings on either Wii no matter what. However, I cannot seem to find a GenPlus that will do this. Instead, the WADs I'm finding already have the emulator compiled into it. As a consequence, it loads whether or not my SD card is inserted, and earases the configuration settings when I bring it into the bedroom for some reason, prolly because the compiled WAD version is older than the one I have on my SD card.
In conclusion, I am looking for a GenPlus forwarder that loads the DOL file from the "apps" folder on my SD card, just like the official loaders of FCE, SNES9, and VBA.

shortz1994

Trophies
XP
Country
United States
I am managing save files between two Wiis: one in the bedroom and one in the living room. I have all my emulators set up to save on the SD card and load ROMs from a USB. Both Wiis have USB drives with identically ROM directories, and I have an SD card I'm using like a GameCube memory card in which I have to put it in the Wii I'm playing on. I am doing this so I can play a game in any room while picking up where I left off saving. A better method to this would be using a network to save games, but I don't have a computer to leave running all the time, so that would be more work than it should be.
Anyway, I have forwarders on my living room Wii (FCE, SNES9, VBA, and Wii64) which rely on their homebrew path to load. This means they will not load unless my SD card (which the homebrew is located) is inserted. This also means it will load the emulator settings from the SD card, meaning I will have the same settings on either Wii no matter what. However, I cannot seem to find a GenPlus that will do this. Instead, the WADs I'm finding already have the emulator compiled into it. As a consequence, it loads whether or not my SD card is inserted, and earases the configuration settings when I bring it into the bedroom for some reason, prolly because the compiled WAD version is older than the one I have on my SD card.
In conclusion, I am looking for a GenPlus forwarder that loads the DOL file from the "apps" folder on my SD card, just like the official loaders of FCE, SNES9, and VBA.
make one. grab any gen plus channel you want.( wadders.net has the best one IMOP.) grab customize mii. load the channel an grab the dol from your apps folder. an load that into the channel. or make your own channel. an do the same thing, with the dol. a little work on your end. but you'll have a channel to do what you want.

PetMetroid

OP
Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
Oh ok, I didn't realize CustomizeMii had a forwarding option. But I'm not sure if you understood me as I do NOT want the DOL loaded into the channel. Thank you anyway.
There's one more thing I want to do though. I made a new channel and it does almost what I want it to do. However, the other channels I have boot an image instead of status messages, and if it fails (DOL file is not present) it will exit to the system menu instead of rebooting the Wii. Can someone tell me how to make my channel do this? For reference, all the Tantric forwarders have this feature.

PetMetroid

OP
Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
Ok, I found a guide on how to do this, but doesn't make a "splash" screen. I have to make my own DOL to load into the WAD which loads the emultor from the SD card, am I right? Can I do all of this with the complex forwarder option in CustomizeMii? (I'm not at home right now.)

shortz1994

Trophies
XP
Country
United States
I am looking for a GenPlus forwarder that loads the DOL file from the "apps" folder on my SD card,
ok this is the answer i gave you. you take the DOL from your gen plus, an load it into the channel... or you can use showmii wads.
your not using the DOL from the channel as it will be over writen when you add the DOL form the gen plus. from the folder in the apps.
it's really not all that hard to do.
1 open customize mii,
2 load your channel, go to options tab.
3 load your DOL from gen plus in the apps folder
4 create wad. done.

PetMetroid

OP
Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
I am looking for a GenPlus forwarder that loads the DOL file from the "apps" folder on my SD card,
ok this is the answer i gave you. you take the DOL from your gen plus, an load it into the channel... or you can use showmii wads.
your not using the DOL from the channel as it will be over writen when you add the DOL form the gen plus. from the folder in the apps.
1 open customize mii,
4 create wad. done.
Ugh... OK, I did what you told me, and no, it didn't do what I wanted it to do. Now the emulator is bundled in the channel itself and will launch regardless of whether or not there is an SD or USB drive connected. That is NOT what I want, please.

I was able to figure out how to make a complex forwarder with a splash screen, but now the screen hangs black when it tries to load the DOL, as in after the screen fades black before it boots the emulator, it just freezes.

TerryG

Trophies
XP
Country
United States
Try building a forwarder dol with modmii and injecting it into one of the channels you currently have using customizemii.

shortz1994

Trophies
XP
Country
United States
1 open customize mii,
4 create wad. done.
Ugh... OK, I did what you told me, and no, it didn't do what I wanted it to do. Now the emulator is bundled in the channel itself and will launch regardless of whether or not there is an SD or USB drive connected. That is NOT what I want, please.

I was able to figure out how to make a complex forwarder with a splash screen, but now the screen hangs black when it tries to load the DOL, as in after the screen fades black before it boots the emulator, it just freezes.
well that is just weird that this is happening to you. just for kicks i downloaded gen plus an made a channel doing the following steps. an it did just what you wanted it to do.(by your explanation.). no sd card/ it doesn't load just resets to main sys menu. with sd card/ loads. even though i don't use it. do as Terry G suggested an use mod mii to build you a dol.

PetMetroid

OP
Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
1 open customize mii,
4 create wad. done.

well that is just weird that this is happening to you. just for kicks i downloaded gen plus an made a channel doing the following steps. an it did just what you wanted it to do.(by your explanation.). no sd card/ it doesn't load just resets to main sys menu. with sd card/ loads. even though i don't use it. do as Terry G suggested an use mod mii to build you a dol.
Thanks for "hands-on"ing for me. I'll just make a brand new channel from scratch then, and make my own banner, icon, and sound for it. I wanted to just modify a custom channel I already had, but sometimes starting from scratch can be the best solution. I'll let you know how it goes.

[EDIT] OK, I got the ModMii forwarder to work, and I'm satisfied. It would have been nice to have the splash screen though. I'm not too sure why the CustomizeMii complex forwarder didn't quite work for me. Oh well. Thank you, Terry, for the ModMii suggestion. This is the first time I've used this program since I hacked my Wii at least a couple of years ago and had no need for such a program, but it's pretty damn impressive. I may fish around in it a little more later.

Site & Scene News

Popular threads in this forum

General chit-chat
Help Users
    Xdqwerty @ Xdqwerty: empty chat