Looking for dark/edgy games to play

Discussion in 'General Gaming Discussion' started by Lucifer666, Apr 18, 2015.

1. Lucifer666
    OP

Lucifer666 all the world needs is me

Apr 22, 2011
    The Fourth Dimension
    Bit of a weird request, I know, but I'm in that kind of mood

So yeah, title says it, I'm looking for something with prominent stereotypically 'dark' themes

When I say edgy though I'm NOT referring to titles that overdo it to the point where it's laughable (see: Shadow the Hedgehog, Hatred, etc.) :P

Platforms I have include a Mac with Steam loaded on, a Wii U, a 3DS, a New 3DS, an Xbox 360, a Wii, a GameCube, a PS2, and a whole bunch of retro consoles which I won't mention cos I'm looking for something with decent 3D visuals at the very least

PS. also if possible try to shy away from first person shooters like CoD and Halo as they bore me. I thoroughly enjoyed Borderlands though, so hopefully that gives you an idea on what I'm into

2. Issac

Issac I

Global Moderator
    GBAtemp Patron
    Issac is a Patron of GBAtemp and is helping us stay independent!

Our Patreon
    Apr 10, 2004
    Sweden
    Sweden
    Silent hill 2, 3 and 4. They're all great.

3. GHANMI

GHANMI GBAtemp Advanced Fan

Jun 10, 2012
    Castlevania
    SMT / Persona / Raidou
    Radiant Historia
    Fatal Frame / Project Zero
    Deception series (but borders on black comedy)
    Breath of Fire IV (don't let the art style fool you)
    Suda-51 games
    Policenauts (text adventure)

4. FAST6191

FAST6191 Techromancer

pip Reporter
    Nov 21, 2005
    I might suggest shadowman, though the visuals thing might hold it back and I have not played the PS2 sequel. Probably most things by Suda51, though go with his older rather than newer titles if you are new to the concept. If you have not played Eternal Darkness on the Gamecube then do it. Psi Ops and Second Sight were pretty bleak in their outlook.
    I know you said no COD but I will suggest spec ops the line.

Runaway Series on the DS, Wii and PC. Ghost Trick on DS and IOS though that is probably not quite what you want.

Most European "RPGs" at some level, though The Witcher series is a pretty good start in that.

Subtle Demise likes this.
  5. Hungry Friend

Hungry Friend It was my destiny to be here; in the box.

Apr 16, 2015
    United States
    I don't know if I'd consider it truly "dark" or "edgy" but Xenogears for the PS1 has one of the most fascinating, trippy ass stories I've ever experienced in a video game. It literally reminds me of when I used to take large amounts of psychedelics when I was in my early 20s and the game probably is inspired by psychedelic trips if I had to guess.(in a very very good way) There's a hacked version called version 2.0 that undubs the FMV/voices as a whole and adds subs, which imo is preferable(bad English VA) but the game is fucking awesome either way. It's not really dark overall I guess but it certainly has some really fucked up moments that will mess with your head, and it was definitely edgy for its time.

6. TotalInsanity4

TotalInsanity4 GBAtemp Supreme Overlord

Dec 1, 2014
    United States
    Under a rock
    Twilight Princess, if you can survive the boring as ass tutorial section. You can get the Player's Choice edition at Wal*Mart or Target for $19.99, I believe

7. Vipera

Vipera Banned

Banned
    Aug 22, 2013
    United States
    Away from this shithole
    ...Hatred? :P

8. Catastrophic

Catastrophic Perfectly Normal

Apr 28, 2012
    Somewhere
    Play Mirror's Edge with the contrast all the way down. :P

TotalInsanity4 likes this.
  9. Par39

Par39 The Life Hacker

Aug 13, 2011
    Finland
    I would suggest Nier, if you want depressing kind of dark. The world is decaying, and your daughter has a terminal, uncurable illness.

Hells Malice likes this.
  10. Taleweaver

Taleweaver Storywriter

Dec 23, 2009
    Belgium
    Belgium
    Surprised nobody mentioned Limbo before. You can't go darker outside finding a monochrome monitor somewhere. :P

Somewhat in the same vein are closure and the swapper. They're more puzzle-based, but certainly have a dark theme (the former quite literally). Badlands is another quite decent "limbo-clone" and completely free (at least on android). Not sure what to advice that's roughly the same as borderlands (which seems to live on the opposite end of the spectrum there :P ). Alan Wake, perhaps? :unsure:

11. Sakitoshi

Sakitoshi everything is going according the plan...

May 8, 2012
    Chile
    behind a keyboard or a gamepad
    Persona 3 FES or Portable: the darkest and edgiest Persona game to date.
    Max Paine: I think doesn't need introductions.
    Dead Space: the first one is the most dark and edgy thanks to the silence of the atmosphere.
    Rayman 2: is the darkest and edgiest entry of the Rayman series, everything is so gloomy that you wonder what really happened to end up like that.
    Megaman Zero series: much more dark that the usual Megaman games, even considering the X series.
    Prince of Persia Warrior Within: Jordan Mechner himself(Prince of Persia creator) didn't got involved in the development because is was 3edgy5him.

I can remember that much right now.

EDIT: oohhhh how could I forget.

American McGee Alice: just search a little and you'll understand.

12. Hungry Friend

Hungry Friend It was my destiny to be here; in the box.

Apr 16, 2015
    United States
    I was thinking of mentioning P3 FES but I haven't finished it yet. Long, long ass game but damn it's addictive and I do love the atmosphere.

13. Hells Malice

Hells Malice Are you a bully?

GBAtemp Patron
    Hells Malice is a Patron of GBAtemp and is helping us stay independent!

Our Patreon
    Apr 9, 2009
    Canada
    Alice: Madness Returns

Pretty solid game. It's a sequel but I have no clue what the heck the first game is.

EDIT: Oh, the game Sakitoshi mentioned in his edit is the first