Looking for biggest online free 'folder' service

Satangel

BEAST
OP
Trophies
XP
Country
Belgium
I've got some files that I don't need to use that often, but that took a long time to accumulate (they are quite hard to find in the right format/language) and also take up quite a bit of space (3GB at the moment, but that can quickly increase).

I'm searching for a service that puts them in the cloud, and in a folder like structure. So NOT in .rar file, because then I have to download the whole .rar to get 1 single file out of there.....
Would really love it if I could dragndrop from Windows Explorer into that folder.
It must ONLY BE STORED ON THE INTERNET. So not like Google Drive and Dropbox, both in the cloud and on your PC.... That's not what I want.
Dropbox and Google Drive aren't big enough, sadly.

And free of course.

Arras

Trophies
XP
Country
Netherlands
If you can refer people, do the simple stuff and most importantly are a student, you can get a ton of free Dropbox space. My free account has 20.5GB and I have no clue what I'm supposed to use it for. (I have like 100MB stored or something)

Satangel

BEAST
OP
Trophies
XP
Country
Belgium
If you can refer people, do the simple stuff and most importantly are a student, you can get a ton of free Dropbox space. My free account has 20.5GB and I have no clue what I'm supposed to use it for. (I have like 100MB stored or something)
Well I kind of missed that train. My school sent a mail months ago, for their Spacerace programme and if you registered on Dropbox you got 20GB space.
Problem was, I already had Dropbox on my main GMail account, and I stopped using it because Google Drive had more space and was just from Google (I like all my stuff linked to my Gmail account).
So yeah, I just ignored that Dropxbox Spacerace thingy, and now I feel kind of stupid for that :glare:
BUT, like the OP says, Dropbox method isn't what I want. I want the stuff solely on the internet, no where else.
http://filetrip.net/
100GB of free space to any account on there.
Read OP, it needs to be folder structure, not in a .rar file.

The Catboy

GBAtemp Official Catboy™: Boywife
Trophies
XP
Country
Antarctica
Well I kind of missed that train. My school sent a mail months ago, for their Spacerace programme and if you registered on Dropbox you got 20GB space.
Problem was, I already had Dropbox on my main GMail account, and I stopped using it because Google Drive had more space and was just from Google (I like all my stuff linked to my Gmail account).
So yeah, I just ignored that Dropxbox Spacerace thingy, and now I feel kind of stupid for that :glare:
BUT, like the OP says, Dropbox method isn't what I want. I want the stuff solely on the internet, no where else.

You can upload folders using the FTP service.
http://filetrip.net/document.php?id=14

Arras

Trophies
XP
Country
Netherlands

You DO know you can use Dropbox without using the client, right? Or you can download the client, copy files and uninstall client, the files will remain online. You can also just use the web interface to up- and download stuff.

Wizerzak

Because I'm a potato!
Trophies
XP
Country

What's wrong with just doing individual uploads? Or if there's a lot of file just use batch upload.

Celice

Trophies
XP
Country
United States
Mediafire has a file/folder system for upload. After a bunch of uploads over weeks, one day, I was greeted with a record of all my uploads (never made an account) set up in a folder-format appearance.

Kinda creep, but understandable.

Pleng

Custom Title
Trophies
XP
Country
Thailand
I'd be wary of hosting the files solely online. What happens if the service you choose goes into liquidation? Even the biggest companies can fall overnight if something extreme happens.

If you are going to use online only, then probably best to use multiple places. But really, what's a few GB of hard drive space these days?

(SkyDrive by Microsoft gives you 8Gb storage, but it's a dropbox-style solution)

Kouen Hasuki

Coffee Addict
Trophies
XP
Country
Norway
I Use Dropbox personally

Get someone to refer you to get 500MB free, (2.5GB now)
Note: I Can refer anyone who needs it but with the rules and respect for staff I wont put my link here contact me via PM if your in need of a referral

Then complete there tutorial and social stuff that nets you a bonus 750MB (3.25GB Now)

Install Dropbox on your android or iPhone and take a picture enabling camera upload for a inital bonus of 500MB (3.75GB Now)

Then make a huge video on your phone leave it recording nothing while plugged in a charger and let that video upload over night make sure its at least 2GB. this will net you an additional 3GB! total from them (5.25GB Now) you can delete the junk photo and video and the space will stay and can be used for anything

Then there is the referral system that can net you up to 16GB Free! You can offer to your friends but if they aint biting there is a way to refer yourself ;)

Download Ubuntu Linux and VMWare Player. make a note of your referral url on a bit of paper, burn and run Ubuntu Linux (Booting it from your PC Bios) once in and connected to the net you can then visit your own URL make up a email and name (make sure to note it for the moment) and sign up with your link. install the software and login with the client Boom! 500MB Bonus (5.75GB Now)

You can now use similar methods if you say have a spare or old laptop and you can also use VMWare player on your own computer but remember ya will need to rotate your OS doing this and referring yourself via VM's and other Machines and your Ubuntu Disk you should be able to get that grand total of 16GB Bonus.

Leaving you totalling up:
  • Normal Sign up free space 2GB
  • Referred into Dropbox +0.5GB
  • Completed Social and Tutorials +0.75GB
  • Camera Upload +3GB
  • Referrals +16GB
Total Space for Free: 22.25GB

I've personally been lazy on the referral part but have done the above with no adverse side effects for over 2 months now so should be safe for anyone to do!

If you also have bought a HTC or Samsung Galaxy recently there is a dropbox promo going on for some months of free premium (2 years I think) for even more space

Hope this helps someone

Satangel

BEAST
OP
Trophies
XP
Country
Belgium
You DO know you can use Dropbox without using the client, right? Or you can download the client, copy files and uninstall client, the files will remain online. You can also just use the web interface to up- and download stuff.
Not really handy if you have to install the client then just to get a few files from it, no?
I didn't really know you could web interface to up/download stuff, that's kind of handy.
Still if it's 2 GB, not really useful to me. < Google Drive then.
You can upload folders using the FTP service.
http://filetrip.net/document.php?id=14
Interesting, but I would primarily want a web interface, not an FTP.
Still, it's very handy, I'll keep it in mind..... I really use Filetrip a lot actually, have over 40 GB there.
What's wrong with just doing individual uploads? Or if there's a lot of file just use batch upload.
I don't know really :wink:

I'd be wary of hosting the files solely online. What happens if the service you choose goes into liquidation? Even the biggest companies can fall overnight if something extreme happens.

If you are going to use online only, then probably best to use multiple places. But really, what's a few GB of hard drive space these days?

(SkyDrive by Microsoft gives you 8Gb storage, but it's a dropbox-style solution)
SkyDrive, I knew I forgot about something!
Interesting to say the least! 8GB is very nice.
I think this just might be it when I run out of space on Google Drive. But knowing Google, they'll upgrade that space pretty soon, they always do that. Wouldn't be surprised seeing it at 20 GB in 2 years or so :o
I Use Dropbox personally

Get someone to refer you to get 500MB free, (2.5GB now)
Note: I Can refer anyone who needs it but with the rules and respect for staff I wont put my link here contact me via PM if your in need of a referral

Then complete there tutorial and social stuff that nets you a bonus 750MB (3.25GB Now)

Install Dropbox on your android or iPhone and take a picture enabling camera upload for a inital bonus of 500MB (3.75GB Now)

Then make a huge video on your phone leave it recording nothing while plugged in a charger and let that video upload over night make sure its at least 2GB. this will net you an additional 3GB! total from them (5.25GB Now) you can delete the junk photo and video and the space will stay and can be used for anything

Then there is the referral system that can net you up to 16GB Free! You can offer to your friends but if they aint biting there is a way to refer yourself ;)

Download Ubuntu Linux and VMWare Player. make a note of your referral url on a bit of paper, burn and run Ubuntu Linux (Booting it from your PC Bios) once in and connected to the net you can then visit your own URL make up a email and name (make sure to note it for the moment) and sign up with your link. install the software and login with the client Boom! 500MB Bonus (5.75GB Now)

You can now use similar methods if you say have a spare or old laptop and you can also use VMWare player on your own computer but remember ya will need to rotate your OS doing this and referring yourself via VM's and other Machines and your Ubuntu Disk you should be able to get that grand total of 16GB Bonus.

Leaving you totalling up:
  • Normal Sign up free space 2GB
  • Referred into Dropbox +0.5GB
  • Completed Social and Tutorials +0.75GB
  • Camera Upload +3GB
  • Referrals +16GB
Total Space for Free: 22.25GB

I've personally been lazy on the referral part but have done the above with no adverse side effects for over 2 months now so should be safe for anyone to do!

If you also have bought a HTC or Samsung Galaxy recently there is a dropbox promo going on for some months of free premium (2 years I think) for even more space

Hope this helps someone

Amazing post really.... Ty :o
But as I already mentioned, I could have had 20 GB (to start with, not even with all those bonuses!) a month ago, via school, but I just forgot about it :(
Pretty sad really, then I wouldn't have to do all that shit you wrote down.

Kouen Hasuki

Coffee Addict
Trophies
XP
Country
Norway
Amazing post really.... Ty :o
But as I already mentioned, I could have had 20 GB (to start with, not even with all those bonuses!) a month ago, via school, but I just forgot about it :(
Pretty sad really, then I wouldn't have to do all that shit you wrote down.

Glad to have been of help :)

Site & Scene News

Popular threads in this forum

General chit-chat
Help Users
  • No one is chatting at the moment.
    I @ idonthave: :)