Hacking Looking for anyone that downgraded to 4.x

pikatsu

OP
Trophies
XP
Country
Argentina
Hello, I am asking the opinion from anyone that used Gateways downgrade.dg and only them. I havent got any hardmod and i want to learn (except downgrade process risk) about downgraded console stability and possibly usability faults after downgrade? Thanks in advance

LameNobody

Weighted Companion Cube Enthusiast
Trophies
XP
Country
Canada
The risk of bricking your console is always there, as with writing anything to the nand.
The console will be as stable as it could be, the only risk happens during the downgrade. Make sure to keep a backup of your nand.
If you want an emunand (a non-cfw one) get RxTools, But you'll also need slot0x25KeyX.bin on your sd card

pikatsu

OP
Trophies
XP
Country
Argentina
The risk of bricking your console is always there, as with writing anything to the nand.
The console will be as stable as it could be, the only risk happens during the downgrade. Make sure to keep a backup of your nand.
If you want an emunand (a non-cfw one) get RxTools, But you'll also need slot0x25KeyX.bin on your sd card

The other functions work well? I read somewhere here that some faced problems with wifi and an other one with system stability after downgrade. I wonder if that is true. Also in one tread mentioned over than 100 downgrades and 1 brick. Is that mean that the process is quite safe?

blindseer

Past Generation Gamer
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
I've used the downgrade multiple times on my o3ds and never had any problems with it. I have no hard mod either so I understand your hesitation to do a downgrade. If you make a nand backup and then brick some how, you could still have a hard mod installed.

Arkansaw

Trophies
Website
Visit site
XP
Country
Trinidad and Tobago
If you do not have a hard mod, it is no more risky than any other process that writes to nand after booting into GW. From the reports, your chances seem to be at least 99% (with the 1% being freak events like 3ds freezing in the middle of nand write)

GhostLatte

GBAtemp's Official Van Master™
GBAtemp Patron
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
still not worth breaking saves over
its almost impossible to not have some sort of wifi access point near you especially since everyone has a phone nowadays
True, but some people don't want to have Internet connection to load the Gateway menu.

Typhin

Trophies
XP
Country
United States
Hello, I am asking the opinion from anyone that used Gateways downgrade.dg and only them. I havent got any hardmod and i want to learn (except downgrade process risk) about downgraded console stability and possibly usability faults after downgrade? Thanks in advance
I downgraded my o3DS using the Gateway provided downgrader, and it put me on 4.2 (was on 9.2.0). I had zero issues with it, though I only had a handful of retail games. So far, the only retail game I've tried to play since is Etrian Odyssey IV, and the save for that had no problems. I set up emuNand before downgrading, and did not format the emuNand, so I kept all saves/progress/etc there. I really only use sysNand to get to emuNand, so I can't say too much about stability/usability. I did back up my nand first (even though I'd need a hard mod to flash it, at least I had the backup in case I needed it), just to be on the safe side.

I chose to downgrade because I didn't like the idea of being dependent on a website to load the Gateway menu, in case something happened and the site was blocked/taken down. Plus, re-enabling DS flash cards seemed like it'd be nice, even if I haven't really done much of anything with that yet.

I haven't heard of any instabilty with the downgrader, it seems to be pretty solid, as long as you make sure to grab the correct version for your region. Usual precautions apply, of course. Make sure it's plugged in, don't remove any cards while it's working, etc. There's always a risk, but the risk in this case seems pretty minimal.

D

Deleted-19228

I was one of the few that reported instability. Sysnand would randomly hard lock. Booted a game to update to 4.5 and it fixed it. *shrug*

pokemoner2500

Trophies
XP
Country
United States
I downgraded the second I could for MSET, I have had no issues so far and I also don't have a hard mod, if i were you I would backup your nand before you downgrade, and again after if nothing goes wrong (which it shouldn't)

Site & Scene News

Popular threads in this forum

General chit-chat
Help Users
    SylverReZ @ SylverReZ: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=IyqoIMLQTzE