Looking for another gaming forum, I'm done with GameFAQs

Discussion in 'General Off-Topic Chat' started by RemixDeluxe, Mar 25, 2015.

1. RemixDeluxe
    OP

RemixDeluxe GBAtemp Psycho!

Nov 23, 2010
    United States
    After being a longtime member there since 2003 the community and staff as of recent are horrendous as well as toxic. Trolling is encouraged and not stopped, flaming/harassment is chaotic everywhere and the mods do not seem to give any damn to stop it. I didn't wanna make such a topic there and choose here so I can get an unbiased opinion to any visitors of that forum and have a serious discussion. I'm ready to leave them for good, as sad as that sounds I would much rather have a real gaming community with heated debate on real topics and mods that actually care about their jobs. I come to gbatemp for my mod/emulation needs, for whatever reason discussing emulation is against the rules over there despite it being 100% legal. Does anyone have any advice where I can find such a gaming forum, I'm mostly a PC and Nintendo gamer in case there are forums dedicated to such news and discussions.

Sorry for the rant and thank you to anyone that took the time to read this.

2. zoogie

zoogie simple pimp tool

Nov 30, 2014
    United States
    DS-scene is always looking for new members.

3. DinohScene

DinohScene Feed Dino to the Sharks

GBAtemp Patron
    DinohScene is a Patron of GBAtemp and is helping us stay independent!

Our Patreon
    Oct 11, 2011
    Antarctica
    В небо
    Stay here c:

OfficerJeffrey, zoogie and Veho like this.
  4. RemixDeluxe
    OP

RemixDeluxe GBAtemp Psycho!

Nov 23, 2010
    United States
    Are they everything as I describe in a positive community, serious discussions, mods actually follow the ToS, etc? I'll definitely give it a look later.

I wont leave gbatemp, this place has been good to me and I want to continue being a productive member. I'm just looking for something more dedicated to gaming. Nothing wrong with this site, its just that the focus is more on modding/emulation than gaming itself.

5. Boy12

Boy12 NOT a new member!

Mar 8, 2012
    Netherlands
    Purmerend
    Maybe the Board 2 forum ( http://acmlm.kafuka.org/board/ ) ?
    In the last few years it's been pretty quiet though, so don't expect rapid discussion.

6. Memoir

Memoir A Hero to Zero

GBAtemp Patron
    Memoir is a Patron of GBAtemp and is helping us stay independent!

Our Patreon
    Jun 24, 2007
    United States
    Wyoming
    Best of luck on your endeavor. I haven't been able to find any gaming forums worth a damn aside from those dedicated to a specific game or console.

7. Hells Malice

Hells Malice Are you a bully?

pip Contributor
    GBAtemp Patron
    Hells Malice is a Patron of GBAtemp and is helping us stay independent!

Our Patreon
    Apr 9, 2009
    Canada
    As of recent?
    You mean as recent as 2003? (or whenever it opened)

Its been garbage since it began. They promote mods by way of blindfolding themselves and jabbing at random currently online members. Which is why 99% of mods just delete posts they don't agree with, rather than enforcing any sort of rules.
    It was pretty great when gamespot first had merged with the gamefaqs forums, because for some strange reason gamefaqs mods couldn't ban people posting from gamespot. You'd get the ban notif, but would be able to post again immediately. It was just amazing. Good times.

The people posting there are also morons. About as educated as the average youtube commenter.

Aaanyway there really aren't any good general gaming forums. You might find some small gaming communities but they're usually pretty meh.
    The only other forum I posted on has been dead for years.

I guess GBAtemp mods haven't been banning enough people to keep DS-scene alive, haha.

Walker D, Joe88, Sicklyboy and 3 others like this.
  8. Lilith Valentine

Lilith Valentine GBATemp's Wolfdog™ ☠️Grunt☠️

Sep 13, 2009
    Antarctica
    Between insane and insecure
    The only gaming forum I've actually enjoyed has been GBATemp. It's the least shittiest/shady of gaming sites and that's saying something.

lampdemon and chartube12 like this.
  9. KineticSonata

KineticSonata Member

Newcomer
    Dec 11, 2013
    United States
    The Deep South
    I :wub: GBATemp.

That being said, I use GameFAQs for their FAQS/Walkthrough database. And that's it.

I don't use a single game site regularly(other than this one) but I hope you find one that doesn't suck.

10. kaylejoy

kaylejoy GBAtemp Regular

Jun 20, 2013
    United States
    I usually either come here or go to reddit (/r/games, /r/3ds, etc.)

11. Thomas83Lin

Thomas83Lin Retro Gamer

Jul 22, 2009
    United States
    Assemblergames isn't bad I also enjoy Sega 16 but thats mostly a retro gaming site.

loco365, Sicklyboy and chartube12 like this.
  12. DinohScene

GBAtemp Patron

Our Patreon
    Oct 11, 2011
    Antarctica
    В небо
    Assembler is specialized in development hardware / development games, mostly hardware lol.

chartube12 likes this.
  13. Thomas83Lin

Thomas83Lin Retro Gamer

Jul 22, 2009
    United States
    Well I do alot of Hardware mods so I frequent it abit.

chartube12 likes this.
  14. DinohScene

GBAtemp Patron

Our Patreon
    Oct 11, 2011
    Antarctica
    В небо
    I love them beta/alpha games <З
    Registered member but barely post on there lol.
    I think I even registered there before Temp..

Edit: yep me did.

15. Foxi4

Foxi4 On the hunt...

pip Reporter
    Sep 13, 2009
    Poland
    Gaming Grotto
    Gamefaqs is and always has been good for one thing and one thing only - game faqs. Their forums, much like many other mainstream ones, su*k massive donkey kongs - they have to be politically correct simply because of their popularity. Can't go out of line, can't have your own opinion or the angry mob will get ya! Most forums go down that path, I mean, look at NeoGaf - it's bone-chilling to see what's going on there sometimes. If you're looking for a relatively good one, look no more - you're looking at it. Then there's AssemblerGames, Sega-16 and other such "underground hangouts", those are the places where you can really speak up without worrying about getting censored over nothing or because your opinion is an unpopular one.

16. KidIce

KidIce Smart Ass

Dec 22, 2005
    United States
    LOL!! I forgot you put that in your sig, and I'm hugely amused it's still there... Man that guy I was mocking was a tool.

Anyway, I agree w/ Mchief298, most the "generic" forums are crap in my experience. The only places I find myself sticking around are more dedicated to a single platform or concept (retro gaming, gaming genre, etc).

The good news is that the Temp has gotten a lot more generic over the years and it's still one of my favorite forums. It's lack of Nintendo focus these days hasn't turned it into the shit hole various other sites are/were/have become. In fact, while I sorely miss the scene release lists, I think it has gotten better because of it. I'm not a one platform kind of guy either.

Sicklyboy likes this.
  17. Sicklyboy

Sicklyboy Resident Mechanical Keyboard Addict

Global Moderator
    Jul 15, 2009
    United States
    [̲̅$̲̅(̲̅ ͡° ͜ʖ ͡°̲̅)̲̅$̲̅]
    I don't really even -know- of any other forums that pertain to gaming... I mean, there's GameSpot, IGN, and all of their ilk... the only other thing I could really recommend would be the Steam Community Forums (LOL) or /r/gaming, /r/pcmasterrace, /r/xboxone, /r/3DS, etc... I feel like anymore, if you want some decent gaming discussion, aside from what we have here, you'd have to eschew the well accepted forum format and go to reddit.

Edit - I mean, there's always /r/GBAtemp :P

18. Lucifer666

Lucifer666 all the world needs is me

Apr 22, 2011
    The Fourth Dimension
    Dude that person suggesting DS-Scene is just messing with you

I mean, the people there are nice... all 3 of them

19. Nathan Drake

Nathan Drake Obligations fulfilled, now I depart.

Jan 2, 2011
    GBAtemp is the only gaming forum I really use. I used to use another one, but it was never big on activity. Plus, I was there when I was 12, and the fact that I identified well with that community while 12 was a little depressing to think about since many of them were at least a few years older than me. As well, they ended up being far more into those little RP forum games than actual game discussion after awhile. I could probably still find the place and log in if I really wanted to with the same username and password I made nearly 10 years ago. That aside, although this place isn't the greatest at times (the 3DS section is a bit of a nightmare), I find it to have the most tolerable community of the many places I've attempted to be a part of over the years. The mods are some of the most fair I've dealt with, and good choices seem to be made time and time again as new ones are chosen. Whereas I seem to have a habit of joining communities in decline, this one has maintained a healthy stream of activity from when I was here during the hype of the DS days to now. Admittedly basic game discussion can be lacking at times, but there is still plenty of that as well when it matters.

20. Sicklyboy

Sicklyboy Resident Mechanical Keyboard Addict

Global Moderator
    Jul 15, 2009
    United States
    [̲̅$̲̅(̲̅ ͡° ͜ʖ ͡°̲̅)̲̅$̲̅]
    Wait... I wonder if the GameShark forums still exist... O_O

I just checked, no, they're long fucking gone. :rofl2:

Nathan Drake I was about 12 when I was actively into the GameShark forums. What a shithole. -almost- as bad as GameFAQs