Gaming Looking for an old Win 3.11 advent calendar

HarveyHouston

Christian Modder
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
Hmm, do any of these ring a bell?

This is a video of one that was released in 1990. It's crudely made, but it has a snowman, Christmas Tree, and manger scene. From your description, this doesn't sound like it, but it's interesting.

This one is a set of candles that light up for each week of Advent; typing in "advent.exe windows 3 download" in DuckDuckGo pulled this up. It doesn't seem like it either, and the link is broken, anyway.
https://en.freedownloadmanager.org/Windows-PC/Advent-Calendar.html

There's a strange program on Internet Archive called "SantaZia", released 1996. It's supposed to be an advent calendar and game. I have my doubts, but it seems interesting.
https://archive.org/details/SANTAZIA

Reactions: SylverReZ

lordelan

OP
Trophies
XP
Country
Germany
This is a video of one that was released in 1990. It's crudely made, but it has a snowman, Christmas Tree, and manger scene. From your description, this doesn't sound like it, but it's interesting.
I already stumpled upon this one a few times. Seems to be one of the more famous/known ones although it's worse compared to the one I'm looking for in every aspect (which again makes me wonder why mine isn't that famous as it seems).
This one is a set of candles that light up for each week of Advent; typing in "advent.exe windows 3 download" in DuckDuckGo pulled this up. It doesn't seem like it either, and the link is broken, anyway.
https://en.freedownloadmanager.org/Windows-PC/Advent-Calendar.html
What the ... what's up with that bear?! :D
But no, it did not have any 3D models (including pre-rendered ones) in it. Was a plain 2D sprite driven application but at the same time looking way better than from that YT video above. :)
There's a strange program on Internet Archive called "SantaZia", released 1996. It's supposed to be an advent calendar and game. I have my doubts, but it seems interesting.
https://archive.org/details/SANTAZIA
Mother of god. :D

At least you brought up two games that I didn't find yet so it seems there's still potential for digging. It has to be somewhere out there!
Again: Thank you very much! =)

Reactions: HarveyHouston

lordelan

OP
Trophies
XP
Country
Germany

lordelan

OP
Trophies
XP
Country
Germany
Man, it would be nice to have that advent calendar by now... :( Sorry, buddy. Hopefully, you have a pretty good alternative.
It's the first christmas where my wife 'n me got our own f*cking christmas tree so I'm pretty fine this year, at least in real life. :D
Thanks though. I'm sure, I'll find it one day. And if I do, I'll fire up DosBox with Win 3.11 and enjoy the sh*t out of it! =)

Clutz450

Trophies
XP
Country
United States
Have you tried contacting eXo and his team over at eXoDOS? They have painstakingly gone through and tested every dos and Windows 3.x game so maybe they have seen your calendar and remember it. Or you can download their pack and you can slowly browse through every game yourself and see if you can find it that way. Here is a link to there discord https://discord.gg/37FYaUZ The people there are very nice. And here is a link to his site where you can get information on where to download his packs. https://www.retro-exo.com/ Good luck. I hope you find it.

Tom Bombadildo

Dick, With Balls
Trophies
Website
POCKET.LIKEITS
XP
Country
United States
I've actually already checked ExoDOS v5, as well as Win3x0 just to be sure. Nothing really related to what the OP is looking for, unfortunately.

But then I doubt it'd be considered a "Game" in the first place, anyways, given it's a calendar :P

Reactions: lordelan

HarveyHouston

Christian Modder
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
It's the first christmas where my wife 'n me got our own f*cking christmas tree so I'm pretty fine this year, at least in real life. :D
Thanks though. I'm sure, I'll find it one day. And if I do, I'll fire up DosBox with Win 3.11 and enjoy the sh*t out of it! =)
Well, at least you get to decorate your colorful words with Christmas stars. :P I truly am sorry about not being able to find it - believe me, I've still been looking. TBH, it seems I recall some advent program for Windows 3.x that was similar to what you described, but I don't exactly remember. It was a while back, and my family and I have since lost the floppies and hard disks that such software would have been on.

Redhorse

Warehouse 13 Curator
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
they used to give games like this away free like this at computer shows years ago, 20-30 years ago I used to go to them for the stacks of freeware and shareware games.
Some were tech demos for programmers looking for work, others were come-ons for larger games for sale, etc...

HarveyHouston

Christian Modder
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
they used to give games like this away free like this at computer shows years ago, 20-30 years ago I used to go to them for the stacks of freeware and shareware games.
Some were tech demos for programmers looking for work, others were come-ons for larger games for sale, etc...
Yeah, I remember all kinds of software we got on floppy disks (wow, floppies! Do people even use them, anymore?) and CD-ROMs, some of it was software for Windows. Photo organizers, music players, art editing tools... some of it was pretty cool, but most of it was crap and already had better alternatives.

Dracari

Trophies
XP
Country
United States
have you thought to reaching out to Pixelmusement? or even LGR? given they have covered so much Shareware content esp durring the christmas time, (esp pixel and his ongoing Shovelware diggers series)

lordelan

OP
Trophies
XP
Country
Germany
have you thought to reaching out to Pixelmusement? or even LGR? given they have covered so much Shareware content esp durring the christmas time, (esp pixel and his ongoing Shovelware diggers series)
Good point, thanks. :)

Edit: Unfortunately no luck with Pixelmusement. He (?) doesn't know anything about any calendars.

Last edited by lordelan,

WG481

Official Waluigi Propagandist
Trophies
Somewhere. Look hard enough and you could find me.
XP
Country
United States
Hi guys,
I hope you can help me out.
Back in the days of Windows 3.1(1) we used to have a cool advent calendar program on our family PC and I can't figure out what it was called.
Unfortunately I don't know much about it.
There was a spaceman flying around and in one of the doors there was a b/w image for the user to apply colors to it.
The calendar itself was a snowy house with the numbers being on the doors and windows iirc.
Also it could be the case that it was a promotional game of intel or a specific printer brand. Not sure about that one as well (I mean that was like more than 20 years ago).
Would be awesome if you can help me find that one!

Edit: I think it was this spaceman image:
astronaut-300x273.jpg

but without the background and it was not animated or something ... just that sprite moving across the screen

This is a job for Nick Robinson.

lordelan

OP
Trophies
XP
Country
Germany
Another christmas has passed by and I still haven't found it. I even checked my backup archive that I burnt to DVDs from 2005 (probably 10 years after the advent calendar release date) but once again my hopes have been shattered.
I can't believe that a game, that was better than the commonly known "Advent.exe" game for which countless YouTube videos exist, just disappeared from earth and didn't make it "into the internet".

• Sad

Site & Scene News

Popular threads in this forum

General chit-chat
Help Users
  • Psionic Roshambo @ Psionic Roshambo:
    But sadly that's coming to an end
  • Xdqwerty @ Xdqwerty:
    @Psionic Roshambo, atleast I think the latest version's apk is archived somewhere
    +1
  • K3Nv2 @ K3Nv2:
    Yeah it works great but it's the obvious Ds factor you loose from it it's not like playing atari games on atari because Nintendo actually use to give a reason to buy their hardware
    +1
    Honestly Ken I actually have the hardware and it's hacked and works fine, prefer my phone lol
    Microphone is more sensitive, DraStic has a high res mode, screen is way better just overall a better experience
  • K3Nv2 @ K3Nv2:
    I just like game consoles how they were intended to play if they have a unique enough reason to buy them anything else yeah just download emulation for it
    Oh and touch screen infinity better lol
  • HiradeGirl @ HiradeGirl:
    @Xdqwerty It's still on Play Store.
    for free
    Install before they remove it.
  • K3Nv2 @ K3Nv2:
    I'd like to see a DS emulator that allows casting top screen to TV then use bottom for the touch screen stuff
    +1
    I used a vertical touch 22" monitor for playing some 3DS games through Citra.
  • K3Nv2 @ K3Nv2:
    Can't be that far off from it not like ds requires super hardware
    @K3Nv2 I did that using Citra for 3DS games. Bottom screen was my smartphone. Until I got the touch screen.
  • SwordShielder @ SwordShielder:
    Use a TV
  • K3Nv2 @ K3Nv2:
    Citra allows it already?
    Yes.
    Ken I have that sort of set up on Drastic on Pi for games that don't require touch
    Looks nice too
    Any TV with your PC connected with Citra and any smartphone to use as a screen using a free play store app.
    +1
    Gonna look into that when I get home
  • K3Nv2 @ K3Nv2:
    Any good 3ds smut titles psi? :creep:
    Lol I think there was some home brew
  • K3Nv2 @ K3Nv2:
    Tap to get bigger!
    K3Nv2 @ K3Nv2: Tap to get bigger!