Looking for an Amarok-like mp3 player for Windows

Discussion in 'Computer Software and Operating Systems' started by EN!GMA, Mar 10, 2008.

Mar 10, 2008
  1. EN!GMA
    OP

Member EN!GMA GBAtemp Regular

United States
    Title says it all. When I tried Kubuntu, one of the apps I immediately fell in love with was Amarok. It's pretty much an audiophile's dream, it packs every feature you could wish for in a music player.

Sadly, I tend to stay on Windows more often now because OpenOffice is gay, so... Can anyone recommend be a suitable player for Windows? I used to use foobar2000 and Winamp, but after using Amarok, its kind of like going from cocaine to red bull.

Any suggestions would be greatly welcomed.

2. FAST6191

Reporter FAST6191 Techromancer

pip
    United Kingdom
  3. Urza

Member Urza hi

United States
    Define "Amarok-like", as in what are you looking for specifically?

Personally I much prefer foobar to Amarok, but it does have a bit of a learning curve to it, so if you don't know what you're doing you won't see much of its potential.

4. EN!GMA
    OP

United States
    I quite agree that foobar has much better potential in that how two different themes could look like two different programs, it's just that I don't have the time to learn ColumnsUI or whatever right now (I'm a student...).

What I mean by Amarok-like is a player with an easy interface, tabs that show artist info and lyrics, and an easy to use collection browser with a convenient search bar. I'm not ruling out foobar2000, its just I have yet to find a theme to my liking. If you could suggest one that would be great.

Thanks.

5. robi

Member robi GBAtemp Regular

France
    Instead of an Amarok-like player for Windows, just use Amarok [​IMG]

Amarok 2.0 has native support for Linux, Windows and OS X, it's still in beta though...

In the meantime, check out andLinux (http://www.andlinux.org)

It's basically running the Linux kernel in Windows and allows you to run pretty much any Linux app you miss. (that doesn't have a "native" port)

It keeps me sane when I'm stuck on a Windows workstation [​IMG]

6. techforumz

Member techforumz GBAtemp Regular

United States
    I just use Linux full-time, but in case your wondering, I wouldn't have the slightest idea. Haven't used windows in forever. And glad that I haven't. WMP is the slowest thing on earth. Realplayer is pretty proprietary. And iTunes is DRM-hell. I use Rhythmbox, which is very similar to iTunes, but without the store and the DRM. Does podcasts, MP3 players, Internet Radio, and a very comprehensive library. But, It's not on windows, so no recommendation.

7. Urza

Member Urza hi

United States
    Congrats on only being familiar with the three worst media player applications available.

8. EN!GMA
    OP

United States
    That's what I plan on doing eventually, except its buggy as hell right now...

Andlinux looks very interesting, I'll look into that...

Until then, I'm still open to suggestions.

P.S. lol anybody who switches to linux is usually sick of the crappy proprietary software, most people can tell that WMP and Realplayer are crap.

9. Urza

Member Urza hi

United States
    You aren't using the right software then (excluding the OS itself). Plenty of open-source and free software is available for Windows.

In fact, all the applications on my system right now are freeware (exception is VS).

10. EN!GMA
    OP

United States
    Hmm, let me rephrase. It's more the presence of crappy proprietary software that annoys me about Windows. Like how programs like WMP, Sonic RecordNow and other annoying software are bundled in with it (I guess thats what I get from using a Dell), the sheer volume of crap makes me appreciate the cleaner, friendlier environment of Linux.

11. Urza

Member Urza hi

United States
    Not like its hard to remove from the install disc.

12. fischju

Member fischju Rehabilitated Jaywalker

United States
    Maybe you should build your own system instead of buying a Dell?

13. Urza

Member Urza hi

United States
    Totally right. The presence of third-party software on the easily replaceable install CD should definitely influence your hardware purchasing decisions.

14. .::5pYd3r::.

Member .::5pYd3r::. Viva La Pizza

Australia
  15. EN!GMA
    OP

United States
    My parents bought it, I was 15 when it happened.

16. techforumz

Member techforumz GBAtemp Regular

United States
    I'm not familiar with the Windows players. I'd just use VLC. But I found this on Wikipedia:
    Wikipedia

17. robi

Member robi GBAtemp Regular

France
    Off topic, but when you customize a Dell Computer online you can opt-out of extra crapware installed on the computer. I used to not care much for Dell but they've definitely come around recently. Their Vostro line is at a great price point too.

18. Lazlo Falconi

Newcomer Lazlo Falconi Newbie

United States
    I think WinAmp with the new Bento skin is actually a lot like AmoroK. I thought there was some way to get a Lyrics tab, but I can't seem to find it now. The search bar is easy enough in the Media Library, and it now shows ID3 tags in the main window, even the album art (If using Bento). I know it's not the greatest thing in the world, but as far as I know, it's the most AmoroK-like player that isn't AmoroK. That or iTunes, which actually isn't that bad if you disable the iTunes store. Also Cover-flow is fun to play around with.

19. EN!GMA
    OP

United States
    Checking this out now... Thanks!

20. Kyoji

Member Kyoji ウッーウッーウマ

United States
    I'll put another vote in for Foobar, excellent program. For more information, plugins, skins and etc, visit http://www.hydrogenaudio.org/forums/index.php Very large, and very knowledgeable community in regards to audio. They host the Foobar forums, you'll see it on the main index.