Looking for a working Japanese device.cert

Discussion in 'Wii - Hacking' started by joda, Apr 3, 2010.

Apr 3, 2010
  1. joda
    OP

Member joda GBAtemp Fan

Sweden
    I've played around with SNEEK for the last few days and got it working with almost all of the functionality that I want. My use for SNEEK is primarily to spoof as a Japanese Wii to get access to the Japanese Shop Channel.

I thus need a working device.cert to get access to the Japanese Shop Channel through SNEEK since my Wii's certificate is bound to the Swedish store. I will use the certificate to buy old obscure Japanese WiiWare titles with my 4.2J SNEEK NAND, so whoever donates a cert will actually benefit from it since they receive download rights to all the stuff that I'll buy.

So if anyone with a Japanese Wii that works on the Shop Channel wants to be generous, and get a few free WiiWare titles, please preform the following.[*]Get and run GetDeviceCert.elf on your Wii, which will create sd://sys/device.cert containing your Device Certificate.[*]Make a hexdump of the file. If on linux/Mac OS X run xxd device.cert from the console, or on Windows use any available hexdumper or -editor. An alternative is also using an online hexdumper such as http://www.fileformat.info/tool/hexdump.htm.[*]PM me the hexdump of the certificate.
    Thank you in advance!

2. noobwarrior7

Member noobwarrior7 GBAtemp Advanced Maniac

United States
    I have a 3.2U wii that accesses the JAP shop channel...I dunno if that'll work for you.

3. kobykaan

Member kobykaan GBAtemp Addict

United Kingdom

who the heck actually downloads stuff legally anymore!? ......Why make more work for yourself ....just google for the wad files and use them like everyone else does! [​IMG]

4. joda
    OP

Member joda GBAtemp Fan

Sweden
    I could try. I should work. (Famous last words ...) [​IMG]

5. noobwarrior7

United States

...except a reasonable number of JPN title still are not dumped and/or findable.

k....I may pm it later today, I don't have that wii hooked up right now....anyone else who feels free to beat me to it, do so.

6. joda
    OP

Member joda GBAtemp Fan

Sweden
    You won't find a lot of the Japanese titles, particularly the old ones.

7. noobwarrior7

United States
    do you think it matters that I currently have the shop set to USA so it's "locked" so to speak? I did this whilst my friend had my wii so they couldn't use my points, cause going to the shop simply tells them they are trying to access the wrong region....do I need to change it back before dumping the cert, or is the device.cert unaffected by that?

8. joda
    OP

Member joda GBAtemp Fan

Sweden
    It should be unaffected. The certificate is constant.

9. SanGor

Member SanGor Witchhunter

United States
    There is no thing such as a japanese device.cert, in the beginning all wiis are the same.
    the setting.txt/Sysconf makes it a certain region and as soon as it visits the shop channel the Wii is bound to that region in the shop channel.
    Using a device.cert from a Japanese Wii won't get you into the Japanese shop.
    Only a full nand dump would work.

10. joda
    OP

Member joda GBAtemp Fan

Sweden

11. SanGor

Member SanGor Witchhunter

United States
    well go ahead and try it, it won't work ...

12. tueidj

Member tueidj I R Expert

You can remove your old account (using the shop channel) and change your wii's region to japanese. Then when you visit the japanese shop channel it will make a new server-side account.

13. joda
    OP

Member joda GBAtemp Fan

Sweden
    That's quite a lot easier in some ways. I suppose though that I loose all redownload rights when doing so, even if I swap back to the European store later again ...

14. lulwut

Member lulwut GBAtemp Fan

Japan
    news flash

the rights to download games is stored in the shopping channel

also, all the posters above me fail for being fucking pirates

15. noobwarrior7

United States
    fyi, tried that when shop region changing first got locked, and it didn't work, so unless they started allowing that, it wont work that way.

16. joda
    OP

Member joda GBAtemp Fan

Sweden
    Have to start looking for a used Wii then. Crap that most on eBay don't ship to Europe.

17. Nobodyhearsyou

Newcomer Nobodyhearsyou Newbie

United States
    Anymore updates on this? Sure would love to switch my shop to Japan {seeing as how I live there}...I would like to play Joysound DX with all the songs.

-If I can switch, will I lose my games already downloaded?
    -Can I switch back to the American Shop at a later date?
    -I would have to make a new account?
    -I won't be able to re-downloaded any of the games purchased right? So, if something happens to my wii, thoes games are lost, unless I make a backup? {Using NAND, something else?}
    -Also, will switching the shop switch my network {Will I finally be able to play SSBB with ppl in Japan, and not people on the other side of Pacific ocean with unbearable lag?}

Sorry if I am posting in the wrong spot, but all the ios, flops, fulmpools, and doodads start to confues me. THANKS

18. noobwarrior7

United States
    once the wii shop channels got started being locked on server-side, I went out and bought a used wii that had never been shop connected....because I had tried several things to make my first wii switch shop regions, and none worked....but getting a new (used in this case) wii that had never connected, changing the shop region, and connecting worked fine....and still works...

but I don't know why joda can't use another device.cert this way.......crediar et al. seemed to indicate with sneek that could be done.

I know when I take my wii FS with japanese store access and device.cert and put it in my other wii and use sneek, it does connect just fine....so no idea why it wouldn't.