Looking for a text editor

Discussion in 'NDS - Flashcarts and Accessories' started by Dark Reality, Apr 3, 2008.

Apr 3, 2008
  1. Dark Reality
    OP

Newcomer Dark Reality Member

United States
    Hey all, just looking for a basic text editor. I'm looking around in your Downloads section, but not finding a whole lot of descriptions, so I thought I'd ask here.

The one in DSOrganize is nice, and has come a long way, but it suffers from two critical bugs: First, it can cut out with no warning, and it doesn't save changes either. It just exits the text editor back to the file manager for seemingly no reason. Second, sometimes you have to tap SHIFT or CAPS twice to get it to work.

The on-screen keyboard is kind of awkward, but I can get used to that. For some reason, the on-screen keyboard in the New York Times Crosswords game (hit SELECT to change from character recognition to on-screen keyboard) is better, but I could not tell you why. But when you're typing something and one just feels better, you just know it is.

Any help would be much appreciated. Thanks.

2. Dark Reality
    OP

Newcomer Dark Reality Member

United States
    Anybody?

I know some of you have got to use your DS for something other than games? (Ironic isn't it?)

3. DanTheManMS

Member DanTheManMS aka Ricochet Otter

United States
    There's TXTwriter and someone added DLDI support to it, but the touchscreen code leaves a lot to be desired since it's such an old homebrew program.

The only other program I use for text editing is Vi in DSLinux, but this requires a bit of learning time since its commands aren't the most obvious (example is shift + ; + x in order to save your file and exit). Also, it doesn't show Windows line endings correctly.

DSLinux also contains Nano but I haven't played around with that too much.

EDIT: also, if you're using the latest version of DSOrganize, downgrade to the earlier "birthday" release to get rid of a few bugs. May not help too much, but it's worth saying.