Looking for a new modchip - Which one, and where to buy?

Discussion in 'Wii - Hardware, Devices and Utilities' started by commissar7, Jun 27, 2010.

1. commissar7
    OP

commissar7 Newbie

Newcomer
    Jun 27, 2010
    United States
    Hey everyone,

I'm sick and tired of my old wiikey, because it is no longer supported with updates. I'm looking for a nice, new solderless modchip - the Wasabi DX caught my eye, but I want to see what you all have to say about that. I kind of like the idea of a ribbon cable modchip.

Also, where is the best place to get one? I see a bunch of stores out there: modchipcentral, modjunkiez, 4coolday, etc. Where should I buy from for a quick, hassle-free transaction with good shipping? I'm a little lost, and there really doesn't seem to be too much info out there.

Thanks in advance!

2. Schizoanalysis

Schizoanalysis From somewhere inside the rabbit hole...

Jun 23, 2009
    Wode?

It's kinda pricey though @ $100 or abouts.

3. MFDC12

MFDC12 GBAtemp Advanced Fan

Oct 12, 2007
    United States
    i have a wasabi zero, i love it. havent had any trouble at all with it. its out of production now though. wasabi dx is good, and you would also be able to turn it into a zero (to get disc speed of 6x, instead of 3x) if you wanted to as well.

wasabi modchips are solid, they have great build quality.

4. ColdAshes

ColdAshes Member

Newcomer
    May 13, 2009
    United States
    Don't be a noob soft modding is free and easy as long as you can follow directions.

5. commissar7
    OP

commissar7 Newbie

Newcomer
    Jun 27, 2010
    United States
    It's not me so much... I have friends and family that use the wii that wouldn't be able to deal with using softmod menus.
    I also don't want to be paranoid about anyone updating the wii and rendering any modification useless, therefore a hardmod would be nicer in my case.

6. jqwest

jqwest Member

Newcomer
    Dec 18, 2008
    United States
    the wiikey just had a 1.99 beta update....why would you want to waste time and switch...The wiikey is still supported and if it works why change it>>>>

7. ModchipCentral

ModchipCentral GBAtemp Regular

May 15, 2007
    Canada
    You can't go wrong with the Wasabi DX.

The wasabi team has great support as far as updates go.

8. DaMummy

DaMummy GBAtemp Maniac

Dec 22, 2007
    United States
    Cleveland
    i still have my original wasabi from preorder in my wii, hasnt really failed me yet...

9. m0nstermodder

m0nstermodder Newbie

Newcomer
    Jul 7, 2010
    United States
    got my wasabi from that modjunkiez site . came fast for me hope that helps.