Looking for a new card for my ak 2.1

Discussion in 'Acekard' started by radorn, Mar 27, 2009.

Mar 27, 2009
  1. radorn
    OP

Newcomer radorn Member

Spain
    MY first card died. It was an 8GB class4 microsdhc card from Silicon Power. I had video slowdown in some games' videos, so I'm glad it died because I could return it and get the money back which I plan to spend on a faster card if that's what caused the problems I experienced.

I found a Kingston 8GB class6 for roughly the same price I paid for the other one.

What do you think, Is that a good option for the ak 2.1?
    If not, what should I look for?

2. Another World

Former Staff Another World Emulate the Planet!

Colombia
    http://wiki.gbatemp.net/wiki/index.php/AKAIO#F.A.Q.

Code:
    Which microSD card is best, and why? 
    When purchasing a microSD card you want to find one with a low latency. The lower the latency the faster the card can access the read/write routines, the better your ROMs will perform. Most non-SDHC cards have low latency and quick read/write speeds to begin with. In regards to SDHC the higher the class number the faster the card reads/writes. Class6, for example, has a 6mb/s minimum where a Class4 has a 4mb/s rate. Name brand does play a factor as some cards are simply made better, where others are rebranded versions from the same manufacturer. The consensus has been to use the Japanese branded Kingstons when dealing with 1GB and 2GB sizes, and the A-Data/Transcend name brands when dealing with 4GB+. There is speculation on which, if any, of the 16GB cards actually work with the Acekard products. While in theory they should work, the coders of AKAIO do not have one to test with, donations are welcome though. Always remember to format your microSD/SDHC cards with the Panasonic formatter.
    -another world

3. radorn
    OP

Newcomer radorn Member

Spain
    So, according to that, the card I mentioned is not an optimal choice, is it?
    I'll have to bug local shops again and see if I can get some transcend or a-data at a reasonable price, but I'll guess they won't since that's the only 8gb class6 card they could find me.

By the way. There seems to be a lot of cards that don't specify class or any other speed indicators, even from well known brands. Is there a dafault assumption about class/speed in these cases?

4. jabjab

Member jabjab GBAtemp Fan

United States
    If a card doesn't specifiy speed/class then its most likely a nonsdhc card as the class rating is for sdhc cards.

if its 4gb or above its going to be sdhc so if doesn't specify class then its probably a class 2.

the adata 8gb class 6 was supposed to have a pretty slow random access time (card was virtually identical to 8gb sandisk class 6 which was same as class4 one) iirc but the 4gb has about the fastest i have seen reported.

example transcend one on newegg (there are others)
    http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx...N82E16820208453
    adata (others there)
    http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx...N82E16820211341
    kingston ones on newegg are a little more expensive and couldn't see class 6 ones.

5. radorn
    OP

Newcomer radorn Member

Spain
    Thanks for the tip, jabjab, that Trascend card looks just like what I need, but I don't live in the USA and they won't send it to me... I'm from Spain.
    Do you know of a good alternative that will?

I found this from a local shop.
    http://www.info-coste.com/componentes/memo...b-transcend-hc6
    Do you think it's a good option? (I'd prefer 8GB but they don't seem to have that)

6. radorn
    OP

Newcomer radorn Member

Spain
    OK, I bought the card I linked in the previous post, a 4GB class6 Transcend.
    These videos certainly lag less than before, but they still lag [​IMG]

Maybe I need one of these non-hc jap kingstons, but 2GB is quite limiting.

7. Another World

Colombia
    did you format using the panasonic formatter? i've experienced no lag/slow down on any of my 8gb transcend class6 cards.

-another world

8. radorn
    OP

Newcomer radorn Member

Spain
    I left the format as it came from the factory which should be adecuate, but I guess I could give that a try. It didn't help with my previous card, though.

Anyway, try, if you have them, Phantasy Star 0 and/or Suikoden Tierkreis. Both their opening videos show evident lag for me, which is not present in the originals. The most notorious bit being the audio finishes and the video still plays for 5+ seconds (10+ in my previous card).

EDIT: I tried formatting it with the panasonic utility as you suggested, but nothing changed, as I expected.

9. Another World

Colombia
    factory formats use computers which do not correctly meet the sd standards. use the panasonic formatter, it was especially designed to format for sd/sdhc.

3191 - Phantasy Star Zero (J)(XenoPhobia) [0C073D71]

booked up using the old DMA mode (as dma-quick save didn't load it). the video does play past the song. i don't own the cart so i can't confirm this isn't how it should be.

-another world

10. radorn
    OP

Newcomer radorn Member

Spain
    I have seen the original in action and I can confirm that's not how it should be.

Additionally, you can see the original video here.
    http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=k3eKQ-yRFog

Anyway, where do I get one of those non-HC Japanese Kingston cards mentioned in the wiki?