Gaming Looking for a good story/cinematic DS game

appleburger

OP
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
Recently I was extremely surprised with how impressive 999 was for the DS. I went in with optimism, having heard that the game was praised by most who played it, but I can easily say that I was more involved in the story than I've EVER been in most games. These are my favorite types of games - anything that can really get me into the story. Cinematic games, like Metal Gear Solid, or games like Bioshock, Call of Duty 4, and Grand Theft auto 4 are also among my favorites. The stories progress so well in those that I couldn't stop playing.

Have any of you played any other games that've really gripped you through the story? Something like Professor Layton or pokemon just doesn't capture my interest outside of the gameplay. I'm looking for something more immersive.
I suppose Call of Duty 4 didn't have an amazingly well written story, but for a first person shooter the characters and the way that the game progressed and kept me involved in the story is what held my attention. Same goes for Metal Gear Solid.

Any recommendations would be great - even if it isn't something for DS. I've been playing some PS1, PS2 and Wii games also, lately.

emigre

Deck head
Trophies
Website
gbatemp.net
XP
Country
United Kingdom
Hotel Dusk: Room 215

On the DS, I wouldn't say there's anything as cinematic as MGS but there are several games which I felt have good stories.

This and Last Window. Excellent and enjoyable stories. Time Hollow was also pretty good, it good average reviews but I thought the game was a solid 8/10. The Ace Attorney games are decent in this respect, I wouldn't say the atmosphere is as serious as Hotel Dusk/Last Window and 999 but the games are very solid and do nice blend of seriousness and humour.Ghost Trick is also good for the same reasons as AA. Trace Memory/Another Code is a good game as well. From the same developers of Hotel Dusk/Last Window, the game isn't as good as their later games but it's a game with an enjoyable enough story.

I found MegaTen and Radiant Historia (both RPGs) on the DS to have interesting stories. Other than these select games, I honestly don't think the DS have games with particularly good stories.

On the Wii there's Another Code R which the sequel to Trace Memory/Another Code, which I thought was good. There's also a version of the first Broken Sword (there's also a version on the DS) and this shit is good. Also if you have a modded Wii, get the Sucmmvm homebrew to allow you play old adventure games.

On the PSX, look into Valkrie Profile which seems to have an intriguing story, I've been playing the PSP re-release of it recently and I've found it to be very melancholy. I can half-heartily recommend Final Fantasy VII, I don't think the story per se is all that good but the presentation of it was very good and made you care about the story. I really liked the story in the original Persona but the PSX version (and PSP version) haven't aged well in regard to gameplay.

Ont he PS2, I'd recommend SMT: Noctune. MegaTen games tend to have intriguing stories and I really enjoyed the story in Nocturne. SMT:Persona 3 and 4 and decent choices though I feel the overarching story in Persona 3 was better than Persona 4. There's Valkrie Profile 2 as well but i haven't had the chance to play through it yer other than the first twenty minutes so it;s been stuck on my shelf.

Reactions: 1 person

appleburger

OP
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
Hotel Dusk is a game I meant to look into before that I completely forgot about until you mentioned it.

And I haven't heard of MegaTen, so I'll have to give that one a shot. I've played a bit of Final Fantasy 7, and I love it, but stopped playing at the beginning of the second disc and haven't been able to force myself to start over since then.

I'll look into Broken Sword, too.

Great responses, guys!

luigiman

Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
Thailand
999: Nine Hours, Nine Persons, Nine Doors
Lux pain

Those game have a great storyline that can suck u in to the game :yay:

ferofax

End of the World
Trophies
Website
nonwhatso.blogspot.com
XP
Country
Broken Sword. was my first time finishing a Broken Sword title, although i have dabbled on them years before. i think the Director's Cut was very well made, although the low resolution makes for hunting stuff to click a bit harder. that issue is easily resolved by context-sensitive touch controls. you just drag the stylus around and you find "hotspots" to click.

ScarletCrystals

Useless Bunny of Paradise
Trophies
XP
Country
Canada
If you like 999 you should also try Ghost Trick. It's a bit silly at times but the story will keep you guessing just as much as 999.
Not to mention the cast is absolutely adorable and the soundtrack is quite good as well.

Too bad there is only 1 ending. But that ending is pretty epic. >_

defunct32

Trophies
XP
Country
Singapore
Glory of Heracles? It's an RPG ... JRPG to be exact, although the story ain't cinematic but the execution is pretty good IMHO and I can vouch for its witty humor and sarcasm, it's really good, gameplay is slightly dated but still fun overall, I had a lot of fun to be honest.

TripleSMoon

GBAtemp's Umbran Witch in [T]raining
Trophies
Website
twitter.com
XP
Country
United States
I'm only a couple hours into it, but Radiant Historia is a great JRPG... idk about cinematic, but it definitely has a good, deep story, and if you liked Chrono Trigger, this feels a bit like a spiritual sequel to it (but much longer and advanced, and still very original). Also has good replay value, too.

As for non-DS games, the Assassin's Creed games are VERY cinematic.

Site & Scene News

Popular threads in this forum

General chit-chat
Help Users
    Sonic Angel Knight @ Sonic Angel Knight: :ninja: