Looking for a good place to buy a wii u

Discussion in 'Wii U - Hacking & Backup Loaders' started by milenia, Jan 23, 2016.

1. milenia
    OP

milenia Member

Newcomer
    Dec 8, 2007
    United States
    I used to have a wii u long ago with virtual wii set up on it but got rid of it. Looking to get another wii u and mod it. What's the best place to buy one with a lower firmware? Any guidance would help.

2. milenia
    OP

milenia Member

Newcomer
    Dec 8, 2007
    United States
    I read a post somewhere about bundles to get, can u recommend me bundles to look at or direct me where I might find one? And how about GameStop? I have 100$ gift card there

3. avinashlego

avinashlego GBAtemp Regular

Aug 30, 2015
    United States
    Up the IOSU's ass
  4. Kohmei

Kohmei GBAtemp Advanced Fan

Feb 17, 2013
    United States
    At the very least you'll need to call around, your mileage will vary store by store. The Walmarts near me all had the Super Mario 3D World bundle, which is a guaranteed 5.3.2 since they stopped making it a long time ago. Many of the newer bundles are a crapshoot.

5. avinashlego

Aug 30, 2015
    United States
    Up the IOSU's ass
    Yep, check stock online before you head to the store. Gamestop should have the bundle, so you can get a good discount :yayu:

6. milenia
    OP

milenia Member

Newcomer
    Dec 8, 2007
    United States
    How do I check inventory for Walmart? Site says its unavailable. Just call stores near me?

7. milenia
    OP

milenia Member

Newcomer
    Dec 8, 2007
    United States
    Calling everywhere no one has the 3D land bundle, should I try a refurb model from GameStop?

8. gudenau

gudenau Largely ignored

Jul 7, 2010
    United States
    /dev/random
    Just get a Walmart Wii U, the bundles should all have a "good" firmware at the moment.

9. milenia
    OP

milenia Member

Newcomer
    Dec 8, 2007
    United States
    Super Mario maker bundle or Mario kart 8 bundle from Walmart?

10. milenia
    OP

milenia Member

Newcomer
    Dec 8, 2007
    United States
    Looks like I can buy a 8gb sky landers swap force bundle for 230$, will this work and good price?

11. Kohmei

Kohmei GBAtemp Advanced Fan

Feb 17, 2013
    United States
    Not a bad price, and assuming it's new it'll be in the FW 2.x range. Only thing about the white ones is they only have 8GB internal storage, which may or may not bother you

Also you'll need to hunt down specific games to update it to 5.3.2

12. davetheshrew

davetheshrew GBAtemp Advanced Fan

Jan 2, 2016
    a shop is a great place to buy a wii u, dont try to buy from a stranger, or an ice cream van, or a serial killer.

GotKrypto67 likes this.
  13. milenia
    OP

milenia Member

Newcomer
    Dec 8, 2007
    United States
    its from gamestop, and its brand new. 8gb wont make a difference if i get an extra memory card or whatever right? and hunt down games? like what

14. tivu100

tivu100 GBAtemp Advanced Maniac

Jun 6, 2015
    United States
    Shouldn't this thread go to Wii U - Console, Accessories and Hardware section instead?

Anyways, any retailer stores should work. Make sure you open and check right after paying. Lazy workers at retailer store sometimes don't check customer return and some assholes returned brick inside the Wii U. Why Nintendo no longer uses seal for 3DS and Wii U boxes is really madness?

15. avinashlego

Aug 30, 2015
    United States
    Up the IOSU's ass
    8GB Wii u's were discontinued a loooooooooooooong time ago, so the skylanders pack should be good. I believe it's a new one, so go ahead and take the plunge. If it's truly new, then there would have been no way to update the firmware from when it was first made back in the day.

Last edited by avinashlego, Jan 24, 2016