Looking for a certain kind of game...

Discussion in 'NDS - Console and Game Discussions' started by queuewindow, Sep 2, 2007.

Sep 2, 2007
  1. queuewindow
    OP

Newcomer queuewindow Newbie

United Arab Emirates
    I've had my DS for a good while now and my opinion is that while the games are good, some genres that you would expect to easily find on a portable are curiously missing.

Fighting games for example; I seem to recall no shortage of decent fighting games on the GBA, particularly King of Fighters EX2 and some of those Gundam offshoot games. I really cannot find a substitute for these games on the DS, even though the ideas of wireless battling and WiFi matches would add so much more to their competitiveness and replay value. Am I missing something? Are there already decent fighting games on the DS? Any big fighting game titles in the making?

Another kind of game that I haven't been able to find is the classic beat'em up. I know about Viewtiful Joe, but that game doesn't allow co-op play, and that's the biggest part of beat'em ups for me. Anyone know of such titles?

2. Law

Member Law rip ninjacat that zarcon made me

United Kingdom
    There are quite a few good fighting games on the DS, most of them in Japanese though. There are 2 Bleach games, and Jump! Ultimate Stars, a One Piece game and a few others I can't remember, I think there are a few english games, a crappy Marvel fighting game, Guilty Gear, and DBZ Supersonic Warriors 2.

3. lagman

Former Staff lagman I wish I was green.

Mexico
    IMO there's not a single decent fighter game on the DS BUT there's SNEmulDS so you can play Street Fighter 2 and Super Street Fighter 2 anytime [​IMG]

EDIT: That Marvel game is a TCG [​IMG]

4. Law

Member Law rip ninjacat that zarcon made me

United Kingdom
    There is a Marvel TCG, there is also Marvel Nemesis - Rise of the Imperfects.

5. lagman

Former Staff lagman I wish I was green.

Mexico
    Absolutely right, my bad.

6. flai

Member flai Androgynous Apparently :)

United Kingdom
    The Jump Stars series are the jems of fighting. Guilty Gear Dust Strikers isn't bad either, same with One Piece, although both are nothing special.

7. Trulen

Member Trulen GBAtemp Fan

United States
    I enjoyed Dragon Ball Z: Super Sonic Warriors 2.

Though it got a little impossible in the end.

8. Zendrik

Member Zendrik GBAtemp Fan

United States
    Not too far from now, we are getting Mortal Kombat 3 with WiFi.

9. queuewindow
    OP

United Arab Emirates
    Thanks for the suggestions guys. Unfortunately, I've already tried Guilty Gear, but that series just hasn't been up to snuff ever since they went with the fighting game/platformer thing. Furthermore the controls have been dumbed down like you wouldn't believe.

Anyway, to all those who replied with anime-related games, I'm not really a fan of anime, but I'm willing to play a good fighting game regardless of setting, so answer this question for me: will someone who's never watched the respective shows enjoy those games?

Anyone have suggestions for a good beat'em up?

10. queuewindow
    OP

United Arab Emirates
  11. VVoltz

Member VVoltz The Pirate Lord

Bolivia
    I really don't think THAT qualifies as a 'game', I mean, IMHO that is worst than the King Kong game, I mean at least King Kong was playable at some degree.

on Topic: Dragon Ball Z Supersonic Warriors 2 should work for you, for now.
    About beat'em ups, how about Dynasty Warriors DS? I know it is not 2D, but still.

12. calvin_0

Member calvin_0 GBAtemp Regular

Malaysia
    well nothing is as good as KoF or Street Fighter series....i really want to see those game in DS....

13. hydrolisk

Newcomer hydrolisk Newbie

United States
    I played the Jump Ultimate Stars game and i think its pretty good even if you don't watch anime. Theres a wide variety of characters that need to be unlocked. However, if your not japanese you would have to play the game while reading Gamefaqs.

14. Mars

Member Mars Radioactive Propaganda Minister

United States
    What about the new One Piece game?

15. roguetrip

Member roguetrip GBAtemp Fan

United States
    We need a new Killer Instinct or Soul Caliber instead of those, the SNES killer instinct version doesn't work with SNemulDS.

There is also a guilty gear, but i don't like it.

16. Pigwooly

Member Pigwooly GBAtemp Fan

United States

Yeah, you'll still enjoy the second Bleach fighting game. It uses wi-fi and it's just a damn good fighter. You won't be missing any enjoyment for not having seen the show. I haven't tried the others except Jump Ultimate Stars which is really good if you want a Smash Brothers type fighting game. The second Bleach one is a traditional style fighting game.