Hardware Looking for a capture device so I can record game footage and do LPs

Transdude1996

OP
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
Here is what I want:

-Supports HDMI and component cables, would also like some S-Video support if possible
-I want to be able to record myself talking while the device is also recording the gameplay. I want it to record both at the same time, and I don't want to add my voiceover later on
-I have a laptop so I want a capture device, not a capture card you'd put into your desktop

If you guys have any questions as to what else I want, just post them.

KDH

Trophies
Website
Visit site
XP
Country
United States
You want either a Blackmagic Design Intenstiy Shuttle or a Hauppauge HD-PVR 2 Gaming Edition. They both support HDMI and Component cables, but each also has some pitfalls you should be aware of.

First the Intensity:
  • REQUIRES either USB 3.0 or Thunderbolt
  • You need to know the exact video mode you're feeding it*
  • Will not accept 480p@60fps or anything below 480i**
  • Does not pass video through to TV unless you're recording
And the HD-PVR 2:
  • Has no apparent S-Video support
  • Only records at 30fps
Both will give you great results for in-game audio and video. There is however no capture device that will record your commentary for you. That requires a separate audio recording program on your computer or a digital voice recorder that records in a usable format and can easily transfer files to a PC (this option is very much notrecommended).

* For example XBOX 360 and PS3 output [email protected] and [email protected],
while the Wii U outputs 720p@60fps and 1080p@60fps
** So systemslike the GameCube, original XBOX, and PlayStation 2 that only output
60fps in progressive mode must be recorded interlaced -- even though you can
still use the component cables -- and systems that only output 240i or 240p
(like the SNES) can't be recorded at all without an external upscaler

driverdis

I am Justice
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
I would stay away from the Blackmagic Design Intensity Shuttle.
all of the 1 star reviews are from people who do not own 1/4 specific USB3 chipsets or have one without the exact firmware that works with the device.
some of the other 1 star reviews are from people with the correct USB chipset and firmware that are now running Windows 8, which its not compatable with.
--------------------------
Get an HD-PVR 2 (no S-Video but can do HDMI) or an older HD-PVR (it lacks HDMI but has Composite/S-Video on the front)
the PS2,PS3, Wii U, Wii, Xbox 360, and Xbox Original will work with original HD-PVR via Component (can do up to 1080i regardless of it being an HD-PVR2 or the original)

The PS3, Xbox 360 (and Xbox Original with softmod UnleashX dash/certain 720p/1080i games) , and Wii U can all do up to 1080i over component using the HD-PVR Original.

Get the HD-PVR Original if you want S-Video more than HDMI and its cheaper.
Get the HD-PVR2 if you want HDMI support (HDMI does not work for recording PS3 games, but does for 360, Wii U, and supposedly Xbox One and PS4)

Transdude1996

OP
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
Okay guys, brought this topic back because I'm hearing great things about the Avermedia Game Capture HD II and I have a few questions.

First of all, how can I record videos to my External Hard Drive? Can I hook up my computer and go through that, or do I just hook up the external hard drive?

Second, is there a control center program that I can use for my computer for when I'm recording? I know that there is one for smart phones, but my Android doesn't have the 1GB memory requirement. And, I feel very cautious about the use of a remote.

Third, how good is it for recording PC games? I know FRAPS is a better option, but I'd rather not want to deal with the varying lengths in videos, and I hate the fact that it slows down my computer.

Also, I like to make little test before I really start recording so I can adjust the audio of the game or myself, which is why I'm asking the first two.

fojacko

Trophies
XP
Country
You want either a Blackmagic Design Intenstiy Shuttle or a Hauppauge HD-PVR 2 Gaming Edition. They both support HDMI and Component cables, but each also has some pitfalls you should be aware of.

First the Intensity:
  • REQUIRES either USB 3.0 or Thunderbolt
  • You need to know the exact video mode you're feeding it*
  • Will not accept 480p@60fps or anything below 480i**
  • Does not pass video through to TV unless you're recording
And the HD-PVR 2:
  • Has no apparent S-Video support
  • Only records at 30fps
Both will give you great results for in-game audio and video. There is however no capture device that will record your commentary for you. That requires a separate audio recording program on your computer or a digital voice recorder that records in a usable format and can easily transfer files to a PC (this option is very much notrecommended).

* For example XBOX 360 and PS3 output [email protected] and [email protected],
while the Wii U outputs 720p@60fps and 1080p@60fps
** So systemslike the GameCube, original XBOX, and PlayStation 2 that only output
60fps in progressive mode must be recorded interlaced -- even though you can
still use the component cables -- and systems that only output 240i or 240p
(like the SNES) can't be recorded at all without an external upscaler

Never understood why this is seen as a major "con" to people. 99% of people will be uploading the videos to youtube, and with my 2 minutes of research, youtube only supports either 25fps or 30fps, so the only advantage 60fps would have would be in editing (messing with video speed to be more specific).

CosmoCortney

i snack raw pasta and chew lollipops
Trophies
Website
follow-the-white-rabbit.wtf
XP
Country
Germany
I use the blackmagic intensity pro capture card. i'd use the capture card instead of the usb 3.0 solution, because i'm not sure if usb 3.0 is fast enough for uncompressed material in 1080p. I had asynchron video/sound because the write speed of the hdd was too slow. as I created a raid0 with 2 hdds everything was all right. and I am not sure if usb 3.0 transfers data fast enough.
but if there is another codec available i'm sure the usb solution works as fine as the pcie card does.
it is compatible to hdmi, yuv/component, s-video and composite interfaces and offers playback for. you can also use component input and hdmi playback.
but note that 480p is unsupported and 1080p supports 30fps only (or 1080i).

WiiCube_2013

Trophies
XP
Country
Gaza Strip
just buy a ps4 or xbox 1 problem solved

So spending $400 to $500 for a few mins of capturing games is going to solve the problem? I'm sorry, but are you insane?

He should get an Elgato, Hauppage, AverMedia or some other but frankly the most popular is Elgato and the results are quite spectacular (seeing the great picture quality + audio on videos). Though I need to mention that I'm no expert on this topic.

Reactions: filfat

trumpet-205

Embrace the darkness within
Trophies
Website
Visit site
XP
Country
United States
just buy a ps4 or xbox 1 problem solved
OP wants to capture Wii U gameplay. I'm not sure if X1 allows DVR capture on HDMI input. PS4 is completely out of question.

Not to mention both PS4 and X1 can only capture couple minutes per footage.

And what's with "hmmm" post, if you have nothing contributing to say don't say it.

Site & Scene News

Popular threads in this forum

General chit-chat
Help Users
  • No one is chatting at the moment.
    Xdqwerty @ Xdqwerty: good night