Burt0

OP
Trophies
Website
Visit site
XP
Country
Hey guys,

I don't really want to spend too much, i'd just like to have 5.1 for my xbox 360, ps3 and pc.

Pc has digital optical and consoles have hdmi.

I was looking at logitechs z - 5500 which is around my price range but doesnt have any hdmi ports.

Any suggestions?

Thanks!

Costello

Headmaster
Administrator
Trophies
XP
I used to use optical for the 360...
HDMI carries both sound and video, theres usually just 1 HDMI out port... at least on the 360.
So I'm not sure why you insist on using HDMI for audio?

Burt0

OP
Trophies
Website
Visit site
XP
Country
Thanks Costello and joe88

Costello - The only optical out on my 360 is from the component plug and I don't want to use component. That was my reason. I haven't had much experience with audio systems and I'm just trying to figure out the best way to do it.

Joe88 - Sounds like the way to go. I won't have to switch between inputs on the receiver so that's good.

Edit: So this is what I'm looking at, would you guys recommend it? I can get one from ebay for about $450 AUD

Blood Fetish

Quis custodiet ipsos custodes?
Trophies
Website
Visit site
XP
Country
United States
I have had this set for a few years now. They are pretty awesome for the price. I run everything into my TV with HDMI, and then output from the TV to the speakers using fiber. Works out quite well.

Burt0

OP
Trophies
Website
Visit site
XP
Country
Ok so I received my logitech system today,

5.1 is working from my pc via digital coaxial but the problem is I can't get 5.1 outputting from my tv via optical, its only outputting stereo.

I've got my ps3 and xbox 360 hooked up to the tv through hdmi and was hoping to get 5.1 from them.

I've been reading around the net and people are saying most tv's dont pass 5.1 through hdmi connectors -> optical out and that you'll only get surround sound from the tv's digital tuner (which I cant get 5.1 from either, even with the digital tuner set to out put dolbly digital.

Does anyone know if this could be true or know of any other reasons why it's not working properly.

All my game consoles are set to output 5.1 and there's no real settings in the tv menu for audio output, it will output from its speakers and to the logitech system at the same time.

My tv is a Samsung LCD LA40M81BD.

Any help would be greatly appreciated as I am a bit disappointed right now.

Cheers guys!

Blood Fetish

Quis custodiet ipsos custodes?
Trophies
Website
Visit site
XP
Country
United States
There should be a setting on the speaker volume control while in optical mode that allows you to set the mode. For example, Dolby, Stereo, etc. I'm not at home, so this is from memory.

Site & Scene News

Popular threads in this forum

General chit-chat
Help Users
    Sicklyboy @ Sicklyboy: Also another 70TB going in the front mount drive bays of this server. 182tb raw, going to...