Looking for 5.1 sound system with at least 2 hdmi ports

Discussion in 'General Off-Topic Chat' started by Burt0, Mar 14, 2010.

1. Burt0
    OP

Member Burt0 GBAtemp Regular

Australia
    Hey guys,

I don't really want to spend too much, i'd just like to have 5.1 for my xbox 360, ps3 and pc.

Pc has digital optical and consoles have hdmi.

I was looking at logitechs z - 5500 which is around my price range but doesnt have any hdmi ports.

Any suggestions?

Thanks!

2. Costello

Administrator Costello Headmaster

I used to use optical for the 360...
    HDMI carries both sound and video, theres usually just 1 HDMI out port... at least on the 360.
    So I'm not sure why you insist on using HDMI for audio?

3. Joe88

Member Joe88 [λ]

United States
    just hook all the systems to your tv then run an optical cable from the tv to the system

4. Burt0
    OP

Australia
    Thanks Costello and joe88

Costello - The only optical out on my 360 is from the component plug and I don't want to use component. That was my reason. I haven't had much experience with audio systems and I'm just trying to figure out the best way to do it.

Joe88 - Sounds like the way to go. I won't have to switch between inputs on the receiver so that's good.

Edit: So this is what I'm looking at, would you guys recommend it? I can get one from ebay for about $450 AUD

5. Blood Fetish

Member Blood Fetish Quis custodiet ipsos custodes?

United States
    I have had this set for a few years now. They are pretty awesome for the price. I run everything into my TV with HDMI, and then output from the TV to the speakers using fiber. Works out quite well.

6. Burt0
    OP

Australia
    Ok so I received my logitech system today,

5.1 is working from my pc via digital coaxial but the problem is I can't get 5.1 outputting from my tv via optical, its only outputting stereo.

I've got my ps3 and xbox 360 hooked up to the tv through hdmi and was hoping to get 5.1 from them.

I've been reading around the net and people are saying most tv's dont pass 5.1 through hdmi connectors -> optical out and that you'll only get surround sound from the tv's digital tuner (which I cant get 5.1 from either, even with the digital tuner set to out put dolbly digital.

Does anyone know if this could be true or know of any other reasons why it's not working properly.

All my game consoles are set to output 5.1 and there's no real settings in the tv menu for audio output, it will output from its speakers and to the logitech system at the same time.

My tv is a Samsung LCD LA40M81BD.

Any help would be greatly appreciated as I am a bit disappointed right now.

Cheers guys!

7. Blood Fetish

Member Blood Fetish Quis custodiet ipsos custodes?

United States
    There should be a setting on the speaker volume control while in optical mode that allows you to set the mode. For example, Dolby, Stereo, etc. I'm not at home, so this is from memory.

8. Neko

Member Neko Been a while.

Germany
    You should use the optical out on the 360 itself instead of your TV, most TV audio outs are stereo only.